You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure Skating <> Hockey  (Read 2619 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Figure Skating <> Hockey
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
Lay people (ie. non-skaters) always try to relate their experiences to yours.  So, when you say "I am a figure skater," those who've done hockey immediately assume that everything they know about hockey is the same in figure skating.  Rec skaters think rentals are the same as figure skates.  Rollerbladers are another sect entirely.

Can't tell you how many times people have made comments about not using the back of the blade or being in a rigid skate with no ankle bend.

This is true even of professionals.  My GP (former ballet dancer) understands figure skaters better than some Sports Med doctors. 

So, take what they say with a grain of salt.  Sometimes, they're way off-base, like the SportsMed doctor who didn't understand why I needed to be able to squat down on the ice.  (Hello?  Sit spins?)

When you look for a professional, ask the other skaters at your rink for recommendations.  You'll often find that someone, somewhere has experience in working with figure skaters.  Always better than someone with no/misdirected knowledge.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Figure Skating <> Hockey
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
My personal trainer is amazing and while he has no experience with figure skaters or skating, he has been able to figure out what will help on ice. He is also trying to get coach #1 to text him to further refine what is helpful. However, when I got my new skates I had to taken them in to show him how stiff and supportive they are versus the rental skates he has seen.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
I dumped an orthopedic surgeon once (on the spot) when I asked him to help with advice on getting a layback, and he looked at my records and said, "What are you? 57? Give it up!"

After that experience I went to a new practice and when the receptionist asked me which doctor, I grilled her to find out if any of them had ever skated. When I was still showing horses, I worked hard to find an orthopod who had shown horses. So, a lot of times it's easy to find out. Ask questions. Look on their website and it may say something like sports hobby. Orthopods are notoriously athletic.

I'm fortunate that my podiatrist is also a hockey coach with lots of skating experience.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
After that experience I went to a new practice and when the receptionist asked me which doctor, I grilled her to find out if any of them had ever skated... I'm fortunate that my podiatrist is also a hockey coach with lots of skating experience.

LOL!!! Lucky indeed.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
I've often wondered how in the world my non-skating doctors would know how I fell or what to do for my various aches and pains, but they've surprised me. The only one I rolled my eyes at was the resident who kept telling me I needed to take six weeks off skating to help my Haglund's deformity. Our conversations went something like this:

Him: I would avoid skating for 6-8 weeks.
Me: I can't do that. I have a competition in two weeks.
Next visit, three weeks later:
Him: Now that your competition's over, have you thought about taking some time off?
Me: Oh, I actually have another competition coming up.

I found a great physical therapist, and the bump on my heel improved quickly. It's still there, but the swelling/bursitis it caused hasn't bothered me for months.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
I found a great physical therapist, and the bump on my heel improved quickly. It's still there, but the swelling/bursitis it caused hasn't bothered me for months.

Most curious about what happened?

Mine has not bothered me for a while, not sure if it was because the boot got punched out or reduced jumping.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »
What's even more fun is if you give figure skating advice about edges and posture to hockey people. Like 1/10 people will take it at all. Usually it's just like "Yeah that's cool bro." And then they'll just ignore it and possibly give me annoyed looks. Hmm, I've only lapped you like 4 times already, but no, I cannot tell you anything useful at all.

Oddly enough, one of the only people that seemed at all interested in what I had to tell him was an older Tier 1 or Tier 2 hockey player, he complained he didn't like how his skates felt after he got them sharpened, so I told him about how he can just get a shallower hollow and solve the problem, he was legitimately thankful. On the flip side, there was a Tier 4 player I met, about my age, who was about the slowest player on his team. He invited me to watch one of his Tier 4 games. He initially met me while I was in hockey skates, and asked what team I was on (just skating around in public skate almost daily in hockey skates back then.) The next time I saw him I was in figure skates. He insisted upon taping his legs to the tendon guards on his skates, and I told him it'd only make him slower. And it did... And his "friends" laughed at how slow he was... Lead a horse to water....

I pretty much never get any hockey people offering me advice at all.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
Most curious about what happened?
I don't really know. All I know is I was skating one day and my right heel really began to bother me, especially on loop jumps, and when I looked at it I saw a big bump sticking out. I have really tight calves and achilles tendons, and I pulled or tweaked my right achilles landing a salchow maybe six months before my heel began bothering me. I stupidly didn't do anything at all to rest or heel the achilles, since it only bothered me occasionally. The PT thinks the achilles injury contributed to the bony bump and swelling that later appeared on my heel.

I try to be better about stretching my calves. The Haglund's hasn't bothered me in a long time, but my achilles still does occasionally.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
What's even more fun is if you give figure skating advice about edges and posture to hockey people. Like 1/10 people will take it at all. Usually it's just like "Yeah that's cool bro." And then they'll just ignore it and possibly give me annoyed looks. Hmm, I've only lapped you like 4 times already, but no, I cannot tell you anything useful at all.

I wonder if this is a uniquely US attitude. When Canadian junior players come down and hang out on the bench while we're practicing they're always polite and respectful, and if we joke with them about coming out on the ice, they'll shake their heads and say, "Oh, no, I could never do that stuff!" The local kids will jump out on the ice and start trying to skate like us. Last year I grabbed one of them and forced him to ice dance until he ran away (about 5 seconds!).

And 90% of the hockey dads are even worse! They perk up when I tell them I'm a Level 4 hockey coach but they still think they know more than I do!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
Orthopods are notoriously athletic.

The one who fixed my broken wrist last time told me that he had broken more bones than he knew he had as a kid, and that sparked his interest.  He also said that all the figure skaters he treated were in a hurry to get back on the ice.
My glass is half full :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
I wonder if this is a uniquely US attitude.

Two years ago the rec hockey players were hockey monsters. I don't know what happened; but I can say that the rec hockey players are much improved.  One of the rec teams has coaches that show up in shirt and tie. Reportedly they play clean and are well respected. It's been a loong time since a hockey boy at my home rink made me roll my eyes. Even when they're coming out of the dressing room with their bags, they've got all their equipment under control and aren't swinging their sticks around carelessly.

We occasionally have a semi-pro team or developmental pro team --whatever--skate at the rink. They show up in coat and tie before the game, are uniformly polite, and set a good adult example. That may be an influence too.

Some of the grown men in hockey skates who are hockey wannabe's have ticked me off. One skated backwards into me at speed--he wasn't looking behind him. Those don't count. They're not on a team. They're just idiots in skates.

The other rink I skate public on, the adults and kids rough house on the ice and are frankly dangerous.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/