You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: [Survey] What boots have you used and for how long?  (Read 13042 times)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
Re: [Survey] What boots have you used and for how long?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 01:12:25 AM »
It makes me wonder what the problem is?  Why did they only last a year or less than a year?  Did they fall apart? Did someone convince you that they were broken down?  What is the problem???
I think my skate fit is a bit of a moving target as my weight is changing... When I started skating again I was morbidly obese. Skates aren't designed to cope with that really... :blush: By the time I wore out my 1st adult pair I had lost a lot of weight and they really didn't fit me any longer. (I had to get rid of a lot of my ordinary shoes at the time as they were like boats by then too!). 2nd pair... no such obvious changes in fit this year but it may be more subtle and still enough to add to the breakdown speed. I'm still v overweight too.

It also maybe that my current brand just isn't the best fit for my feet anymore. I need to go get remeasured and see if any other brands may work better for my next pair. Until I get down to a stable weight, I suspect my skates will only last maybe a year or so.  :-\

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
The sole reason I've had to replace skates so quickly would be that I outleveled them too quickly. Guess I shoulda bought skates 1-2 levels ahead of my current level at the time, but I didn't want to hold myself back by getting a pair of skates that are too advanced. Hopefully the ones I got now will last at least one year. The Eclipse Mist is identical to the Coronation Ace, so...they should last throught most doubles which will probably take a while.  ;)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »
Riedell 121RS old model, 2007. (Basic 1-6 minus spins in college class. They were 2 full sizes too big!)
Jackson Freestyles. 2012 is my lucky year. <3 (I just read that I over-booted with these, while re-learning all Basic 8's this year. Oops. Well, I wanted something that'd last me for more than the 3 months of group class. They're the right level now, at beginning Freestyle. :sweat)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
Only pair for me!

- (used) Jackson Elites with a Coronation Ace blade - 2 years, Aussie Skate Free Skate 3/4, working on loop/flip/lutz. I have had to replace the blades (skating on the new ones for the first time tomorrow!  :D), but the boots are fine. Probably I'm overbooted. When I got them they were already almost eighteen months old (but had been grown out of); I'm overweight and reasonably tall, and for the last eighteen months have been practicing upwards of three times a week, but the boots are still in great shape and I've never had major pain in them.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
I am a very light freestyle skater who is surprisingly heavy on boots.

1. Risport Lasers, they were 2nd hand and gifted. I skated in them recreationally perhaps 5 times (before I started more regularly)
2. Jackson Classiques with Mark IV blades, new. They took me from being a confident recreational skater to beginning freestyle (waltz/toe loop) in about 3 months. Retired because I HATED the fit, I have very thin ankles and I couldn't get them tight enough so they wouldn't wobble in the boot and blister
3. Riedell 900 Elite Royals and parabolic Coronation Ace - beginning freestyle to Level 4-5 (roughly Juv?) MITF, preparing for axel, all basic spins - 18 months. Yes, I went into an Olympic level boot... they were old stock from the fitter, who gave them to me for free with the blade. Surprisingly I didn't feel overbooted as the tongue was so wide that the ankle bend was easy. Retired because my feet changed shape and they became very painful.
4. Risport RF3 with MK Gold Star blades - a month ago. I had to switch blades as the heel is much higher than on the Riedells. Am still breaking in; love these blades for jumps, hate them for spins. I am hoping these last a couple of years!

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
1.  Risport Laser with Club 2000 blade - used these about 6 months as I was learning to skate
2.  Ridell Royal with Cornation Ace - learned axle and 2S in these, used about a year
3.  SP Teri Super Teri Deluxe with Pattern 99 - up to 2L in these, used for about 4 years
4.  Klingbeil customs with Pattern 99 then changed to Gold Seal a year ago, 2F, I've had these boots since 2005 but didn't skate four about 6 years and started back June last year and switched blades a year ago.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I don't remember what skates I wore in my childhood and early teens.  In my mid-teens I got:

Oberhamer skates - don't know the model.  Pretty serious skates - I was surprised my parents were willing to pay that much.  With Gold Star blades.  (I'm unclear on the brand of the blades - they're also labeled "Made in England" and "Sheffield Steel".)  I used these 2 or 3 years at about 50 hours of skating per year, then hardly skated at all for about 25 years, and returned to skating on them last winter.  (I'm skating 3-4 hours a week, 8 months a year.)  I strongly suspect that I have the oldest skates on this forum!  (That are being used on a regular basis.)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
I don't remember what skates I wore in my childhood and early teens.  In my mid-teens I got:

Oberhamer skates - don't know the model.  Pretty serious skates - I was surprised my parents were willing to pay that much.  With Gold Star blades.  (I'm unclear on the brand of the blades - they're also labeled "Made in England" and "Sheffield Steel".)  I used these 2 or 3 years at about 50 hours of skating per year, then hardly skated at all for about 25 years, and returned to skating on them last winter.  (I'm skating 3-4 hours a week, 8 months a year.)  I strongly suspect that I have the oldest skates on this forum!  (That are being used on a regular basis.)

I would love to see a photo of these - I skated in Oberhamers as a kid and then as a teenager I wore my mom's old Oberhamers = always with Coronation Ace blades though...