You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: gel pads for pressure spot above ankle  (Read 6235 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
gel pads for pressure spot above ankle
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
Ever since I got Jackson Premieres, the edge of the tongue has really dug into a spot just above my anklebone on the outside of my feet. It's especially bad on my right foot because it cuts in when I land jumps. I've got a little sore spot that keeps bleeding, scabbing over and opening up again the next time.

I've just been putting band-aids over the spot, but I'd like something a little more permanent. If I got the 2.5" gel disc bunga pads, would they stay in place? I'm also concerned they'd create too much bulk in my boot.

I skate barefoot, so there's no sock or tights to hold pads in place.

We don't have a pro shop nearby. It's hard for me to get an idea of how they'd work without actually being able to see them in person.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: gel pads for pressure spot above ankle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
I have the exact same issue with my custom Harlicks.  The skating tech tried  trimming the tongue to no avail. I tried bandaids, mole skin and bunga pads- all were not great.   I skate now with silicone sleeves on both ankles. I tried multiple times to stop wearing the sleeves, but the problem comes back.  I don't really notice any difference in the control of the skate with vs. without the sleeve.

http://www.amazon.com/Gel-Tubing-Ankle-Sleeve-Silipos/dp/B004E5MK5A
This is the one I have, I just cut it in half. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
What would happen if you put the sleeve over the tongue instead of your ankle?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:16 PM »
I adore my silipos gel sleeves.  I don't have to wear them with my premiers, but they do prevent some irritation. The competitors cut my ankles, and I would bleed. This fixed it.  I found bunga sleeves to be too thick, they caused Achilles tendon problems for me. But a sleeve is the way to go.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »
I agree, I skate with gel sleeves and love them!!!  They aren't the Bunga brand, they're a generic version, not sure exactly what the name is, but they do the trick for me with pressure points.  I never used them as a kid when I skated, and when my proshop introduced them to me when I bought my last pair of boots as a means to help with breaking them in I was like "what are these things?" but I honestly have never looked back!!  I love them :)

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
I have the same issue with my Jacksons. I was also using Band-Aids at first, but got the Bunga pad (cut one in half) eventually. They're great, and I've never had the bleeding or scratching since. If I happen to forget them one day I can skate without them without too much of a problem, but more than that and the bleeding comes back.

I do find the Bunga pads to be a little thick (they're very squishy and comfortable, though). I've never had a problem with that, but if I ever need to replace them I might try the Silipos sleeve mentioned above.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
I used Silipos sleeve briefly on right ankle, ditched it after break-in period because caused a little too much room in the boot.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
If I got the 2.5" gel disc bunga pads, would they stay in place? I'm also concerned they'd create too much bulk in my boot.

I skate barefoot, so there's no sock or tights to hold pads in place.

I think they would stay in place. I use these over my knee sometimes (I had a bone bruise and I still bruise really easily). I do put them under tights or leggings but they stick to your skin, especially with a little sweat. I peel off my tights and the disc stays in place lol! I do however to find them to be much thicker then the ankle sleeves and would suggest you try those first. I love my bungas and won't skate without them but the discs are a little thick in my skate but great for my knee!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
How high above the ankle does the gel part of the silipos sleeve come? My pressure spot is about an inch above the most protruding bony knob of my ankle. From the photos I've seen, it looks like the gel part may not quite cover it.

Is the non-gel part of the sleeve about as thick as skating tights?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
Mine come up that high...They about reach the tops of my skates. I wear 5" sleeves. I know some ppl cut them to be 2.5" to save $ but it's not worth it to me.

The knit lining is really thin, it's mostly the gel that is the thickness. I'd guess 1/8"?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
Mine come up that high...They about reach the tops of my skates. I wear 5" sleeves. I know some ppl cut them to be 2.5" to save $ but it's not worth it to me.

The knit lining is really thin, it's mostly the gel that is the thickness. I'd guess 1/8"?

I cut one of mine down to 2.5" not to be cheap but because 5" was just too long when worn where I needed it... most of it was above my boot, so it seemed silly to fight getting all 5" in place on my ankle when half as much could do the job.  You can position the sleeve wherever you want/need it, so 5" is very generous.

I also cut the heel area out of a 5" one so that it wasn't adding extra bulk there and effecting the position of my heel in my boot... but I was looking for more protection all the way down along the front of my fibula, so it needed to come down quite far on my ankle for good coverage.  I ended up cutting a V in the back about 2" deep.

Bungas are thicker than silipos.. but silipos are definitely thick enough to stop the "biting" from the edge of the tongue.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
OK, I'm a little confused. For those of you with the Silipos, do you have:
10" gel tubing ankle sleeve: http://www.amazon.com/Gel-Tubing-Ankle-Sleeve-Silipos/dp/B004E5MK5A
Silipos Malleolar Sleeve, One Size: http://www.amazon.com/Silipos-Malleolar-Sleeve-One-Size/dp/B002BKXEM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2
Gel Malleolar Ankle Sleeve: http://www.amazon.com/Silipos-Gel-Malleolar-Ankle-Sleeve/dp/B00777MVP6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_1

It would appear with the first one, the squishy gel stuff that will protect my sore spot is the entire sleeve, while other two only have the squishy gel stuff around the ankle. Am I right? If that's the case, it seems like it makes more sense to buy the 10" sleeve and just cut off a circle large enough to cover the sore spot.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:16:45 PM »
I have the first one and it is cut in half (I suppose you can cut them even smaller). 
  I also have the second one and don't really like it- as the gel pads are too thick .

The first one has the thin gel over entire sleeve. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »
I have the first one and it is cut in half (I suppose you can cut them even smaller). 

I think mine is 2.5" long...

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
People buy the 10" Silipos and then cut them to whatever size you need.

It's pretty simple and they are GREAT!  I wear one on both ankles - I guess they must be 5" but I have definitely seen people cut them shorter just to fit on whatever spots they want...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »
I have the 10" sleeve and cut it to two 5" sleeves.  I lost one of my first ones, and cut the other in half, and I find that too small. Even though I only need right at the boot.top.covered, the shorter sleeve slips.

So i bought a new long one and cut it in half again. I save the short pieces.for.an emergency.

I don't recommend cutting a circle out....wear it in a tube, they do slip when sweaty, so the tube is more likely to stay in place. A tip to put it on...turn it gel side out, move it up the leg, and then flip it over.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
I have had tongue rubbing sores on my ankles for every new pair of skates for as long as I can remember.  It happened on my SP Teri's and it happened on my Jacksons.  Sometimes it is just one skate, sometimes both.  Usually the outside of the ankle, but sometimes the inside, too.  For me, it usually goes away after a few weeks when the skates are broken in.  It depends on how much you skate and your intensity, of course.  I got my new Jacksons at the end of June and I was skating every day for at least 1-2 hours a day and after 2-3 weeks, it didn't bother me anymore. 

I used to sometimes wear the gel sleeves, but I disliked how sweaty it made my ankles feel and I thought they took up too much room in my boots.  Then I lent them to someone and she lost one.  For my last pair of new skates, I used a make-up pad in that spot.  After a few uses, it tore up the make-up pad.  You could also try working with the leather on the tongue and on the ankle to try to make them a little softer and more flexible in that area.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Thanks for all the help! I'm going to order the 10" Silipos and cut them in half.