You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: do gel pads lose effectiveness with time?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
do gel pads lose effectiveness with time?
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »
I read comments about skating safe gel pads lasting forever, but somehow feel my acton pads do not give me as much protection as before.

I remember raving about losing the permanent bruises. I remember whacking my knee very hard without a bruise. But now I have got multiple knee bruise in two months from freak falls that did not seem extraordinarily hard (still hard falls though). The latest one is all purple, ugly, and painful too.

I'm not sure if it's related to time, exposure to extreme weather in the car trunk, or just harder falls in general. The knee pads did not slip, I fell right on them. They are 1/4" Acton polymer pads with open edges, while skating safe ones have sealed edges I believe.

If you use gel pads, would you kindly comment on life span please?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: do gel pads lose effectiveness with time?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
I still haven't actually fallen on my skatingsafe pad, so I can't tell you.

However, I know that my Silipos gel ankle sleeves get thinner as the years pass.   I would imagine if you have repeated falls on your gel pad, it does cause some wear.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
The latest one is all purple, ugly, and painful too.

Ouchy. 
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
My silipos sleeves haven't been heavily used and they're definitely not as "protective" as when they were new.. I think the connections/bonds in the gel break down over time so that the material just feels looser and gives more easily than it did when it's new.  The material may "last" forever but I don't think that the function remains the same over that time.

My bunheads kneepads (also gel) don't seem any different after a year of solid use... they've even been sent through the dryer a few times on accident.  HOWEVER, I've never actually hit my knees from a fall wearing those... so it's hard to say if I'd get bruised or not, but I expect I'd be in a lot of pain either way because of cartilage damage I already have in both knees.  What I rely on them for is support (they do a decent job) and peace of mind that I won't do any more damage to my already beat up knees if they did hit the ice.  I also like them for teaching LTS where I seem to be down on the ice on my knees more than I'd like to be :)

Also, I think as our skill levels progress we take different falls.. speed makes a HUGE difference with regards to impact force.  I think our perception of falls changes over time as well - as we get more accustomed to falling, what would have once been a fairly big deal is no longer seen as being "that bad" but it will still do some damage even with padding.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
Am I the only one who actually fell enough on knee pads to conduct bruises comparison over time?... lol just kidding. Of course the knee pad still shielded away much of the impact, I complained just because I am more spoiled than before :)

Also, I think as our skill levels progress we take different falls.. speed makes a HUGE difference with regards to impact force.  

Thinking about it, the recent falls originated from stroking or otherwise moving at full speed, while the latest bad fall I remember was from a spin setup. Good point...

I am thinking of either

a) somehow seal the open edges and see if it helps (but tape would rub against my skin hence requires some pocket thing to contain the pad...)

b) double it up at impact-prone areas, as I have decent sized left overs from cutting up the 18x18 pad

c) get a new pad, which isn't cheap but worth every penny

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
No, you're not the only one to fall enough to have a collection of bruises.. I got the knee damage I have now somehow afterall ;)  (but I was younger and stupider then..)

I even have calcium deposits in the muscle over my right hip for axel/double crashes as a teenager... and a majority of that was WHILE wearing pads!

Since you already have leftovers I'd try doubling it up in the areas you tend to hit more often :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
My silipos ankle sleeves usually last about a year before they get either too disgusting to wear or I lose one and have to use another (I cut them in half). Bec. of the wear and tear in the boot the stuff separates and eventually the elastic collapses and the gel is worn away.

My skating safe pads mostly do ok. I say mostly because an elbow pad split so it kind of sticks to my skin. It still works fine, it's mostly a cosmetic issue. The rest of the pads are unchanged.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
Thank you for sharing, everyone!

I even have calcium deposits in the muscle over my right hip for axel/double crashes as a teenager... and a majority of that was WHILE wearing pads!

Since you already have leftovers I'd try doubling it up in the areas you tend to hit more often :)

Ouch, with pads too? That's exactly what I want to avoid.

Doubling up for knee pads will show (unlike hip pads which worked nicely), but heck I don't want purple knees for summer!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
I've had mine for years and haven't noticed a difference in them; maybe your skating is more difficult, daring or harder and that would make them less effective in falls (i.e. falling harder)?

I bought some for my knees, just don't wear them because I feel they are too bulky and inhibit me.  I wish there were gel sleeves made for knees!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »
I used to wear the really bulky ones, and felt good switching from those to gel pads.

Currently I use capri pants to hold the knee pads in place, it's just an extra 1/4" covering the front of the knee, not inhibiting at all to me. (thanks again AgnesNitt for the capri pants tip!)

To keep the hip pads from slipping, I glue velcro to the pads and they stick to the pants waistband nicely.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
To keep the hip pads from slipping, I glue velcro to the pads and they stick to the pants waistband nicely.
I'm going to try this! Mine keep slipping lol.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline bambucci

• Teacher | Learner
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
My Bunga pads from at least 15 years ago are still in good shape, however the Bunga sleeves leave something desired.  They are definitely worn down. 
β€œIn three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost