You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Puzzling issues re: ROH  (Read 1742 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Puzzling issues re: ROH
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:15:01 AM »
I have some very puzzling issues with my ROH, and I hope other members could help me out. My new blades (Mirage on Jackson Freestyles) supposedly came with a shop-sharpened 7/16"  ROH (I ordered the skates from abroad). However, the edges were slipping, so I thought maybe it wasn't really 7/16" (my first estimates were 1/2" or 9/16").

When I took it today to our one and only sharpener locally, he insisted that the blades were only factory-sharpened, and that I needed an ROH of 3/8", the same as that used by all freestyle skaters in my rink.

I told him that when my previous blades (Quest Onyx on Riedell 133) were sharpened at 7/16", and I had difficulty stopping (and that was on harder ice!), and that when it was changed to 1/2", I was happy with it (on the softer ice in the new rink). I told him that I don't know the ROH of my current skates, but that I'd like to get it 1/16" deeper.

The sharpener didn't tell me what my pre-sharpening ROH was (I don't think he has the equipment for it). My post-sharpening ROH is 7/16", the same as what the online shop told me it was. However, after a closer examination of the blades, I can't help feeling that the hollow feels very much the same as pre-sharpening. I haven't skated on it though.

1. How did that happen? I was doing well on 1/2" before, why would I be complaining about the 7/16" not being deep enough?

2. How many ROH changes can my blade tolerate before being unusable? It has been my 2nd sharpening in a month, and I think I just threw away $10 for nothing.

3. Aside from this, I checked somebody else's newly sharpened blades on 3/8". They seem very similar to the first sharpening of my old blades (which according to the sharpener who did it is 7/16). What is going on here???

4. If I'm complaining about 7/16" as not being deep enough, and the 3/8" as being too deep, what should I do?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Puzzling issues re: ROH
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »
I think you should skate on them before you get all worked up over iit.  Chances are you only had a factory sharpening in the first place, which isn't going to do the job at all.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »
ITA - the OP also changed boots and blades.  You have to get used to the new skates.
Sharpenings can't solve everything.  Practice helps tremendously.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
ITA - the OP also changed boots and blades.  You have to get used to the new skates.
Sharpenings can't solve everything.  Practice helps tremendously.

Totally agree. Whilst getting your equipment right does make things easier, worrying about whether it's perfect is a waste of time.

Honestly, a 3/8" vs. 7/16" vs 1/2" ROH probably makes 1% of difference. You are talking about a pretty small bite angle difference. If you're doing international dances or saving triples at an elite level, that 1% of difference probably matters. At the level of most people on this forum, the "right" ROH won't suddenly transform them as skaters.

By all means try a different ROH next time, if you want. But give yourself a chance on your new skates. No need to obsess about it now.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
I just recently got new boots (same model, just not all broken down) and new blades (different brand, similar profile). The other day I found that I was having troubles holding an outside edge solidly (I could get it eventually, but at the front end it was very wobbly). I was getting frustrated so I ended up doing some outside 8 figures to see if I could figure out what the issue (blade, boot, operator error). I decided that it was actually too early to tell what the issue was. I am betting it is the fact that I have new boots that are currently like concrete blocks on my feet and it's really hard for me to bend my knees and push my edges into the ice.

Moral of the story - until you break in the boots and really start using the blades, you won't know what the issue is.

Also, looking at all of your posts, you seem very worried about the minute details about your skates and skating. Just go out and enjoy yourself! Getting wrapped up in perfection or fear that you are not doing something absolutely perfect or to an elite level or that you are going to ruin your skates is only going to hurt what you are able to do. Crossovers evolve over time and only time will do that. I have student, whose crossovers have gotten better - not because we work on them specifically, but literally because of the time it has been since she started skating. Also, learning new skills will strenthen the old ones. I will often throw in a new skill for my kids to help them with the old ones. Moral of this is - love skating and have fun and don't get caught up in the small things.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:39:42 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'll give the blade more time and hopefully I'll adjust to it soon. :)

Also, looking at all of your posts, you seem very worried about the minute details about your skates and skating. Just go out and enjoy yourself! Getting wrapped up in perfection or fear that you are not doing something absolutely perfect or to an elite level or that you are going to ruin your skates is only going to hurt what you are able to do. Crossovers evolve over time and only time will do that. I have student, whose crossovers have gotten better - not because we work on them specifically, but literally because of the time it has been since she started skating. Also, learning new skills will strenthen the old ones. I will often throw in a new skill for my kids to help them with the old ones. Moral of this is - love skating and have fun and don't get caught up in the small things.

Kim, this is spot on.  :blush:  Now that I look at it, it seems I derive my pleasure from skating not from skating itself, but from the progress that I make. More than being able to perform a move, I value more the idea that people watching me will not think of me as a klutz. Too high expectations of myself, perhaps?