You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell 435 and 875  (Read 2700 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Riedell 435 and 875
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:55:25 AM »
The proshop mentioned we made need to upgrade skates.  She is currently in the 435 and had a long time to break in, they are split width and the next skates will have to be semi custom (too great a range in the split width).  She has had something added when they began to compress and her heel started to slip.  The current boots are being stretched.

I looked online and can't seem to figure out how they are different aside from the 875 being stiffer than the 435.  She is prepre and inter moves and working on her doubles.  While some are landed, it's going to be awhile before they are consistent. For sure next season she will be preliminary. 

She is 10/under 80lbs and since she was 5 has needed new skates every year - so what ever she gets will probably be outgrown before worn out.

We looked at Edea but the owner said the top of her foot is too narrow and her heel is too narrow and they will never fit correctly.  He said they are the flavor of the month and everyone is getting them and he enjoys selling them when they fit correctly.

She has worn Jackson - a long time ago -  and liked them - but they were the soft rec skater ones.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Riedell 435 and 875
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:06:45 AM »
Why do you need to "upgrade" skates?  The 435 and the 875 ... you're correct, they basically are just differentiated by stiffness. Does your coach also recommend upgrading skates?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
We have not heard from her coaches - one is looking into it (as well as blade needs) and one hasn't responded with an answer(this coach she doesn't see as often).

Her skates are in the stage of "perfect for her" except for no toe room.  They are flexible and soft without being broken down.  He said the 435 was for kids who are working on doubles and the 875 have their doubles and are working on triples. 

I don't think having doubles fits dd - she has some doubles (none consistent) - maybe 2/10 2s, 3/10 2/10tl, 2/10L, 3/10f and just starting 2lutz.  I think she will have the 2s strong by end of summer.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
The 875 is for kids who need that strength of boots; they may be working on singles or doubles or triples :)  There's no actual correlation between "jumps landed" and "boots needed" otherwise it would be a lot easier to buy them!

My one kid is in a boot stiffer than that one, but, only lands the occasional double - however, because of height, weight, stroking, leg length, etc, she needs the additional strength of the 1500.  When she went into the 875, she was landing only singles - but, she broke them in in 4 weeks, which was a good indication of a good fit.

My other kid who is 150 pounds and 5'10" tall is landing triples in a boot that is not as stiff as the 875.  And that's with a new reboot to a stiffer boot recently.

A good test is pretty basic: Put the boots on the kid. If they cannot bend them to the point where the knee goes beyond the toe, then, they are overbooted.   If your kid had a long time to break in the 435 ... unless something has radically changed ... she would likely be way overbooted in the 875.

BTW: Riedells when fitted should be really really snug in the foot.  In about 3/4 weeks, the internal 'foam' will compress and they will fit perfectly.  The biggest mistake made in the Riedells is to get them so they are "comfortable" as they will then end up too loose once hte internal "melting of the lining" happens.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
Can she try different brands?  If she has not broken down 435 yet and they had a really long break-in period, then the 875 will definitely be too stiff! 
If 435 is still the best fitting, I would just get that in a bigger size with extra insoles for growth.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »
I am not sure if it would work to try other brands since she will have to get semi custom in any event.  The width is a B and the heel is a AAA.  Edea dealer said she can try them on if she wants since they are just a stock size.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
Why not just stay with the boot model that is working for her and get the size she needs now?  Worst case is that she'll end up breaking them down before she outgrows them, but IMO that is better than overbooting her while she's still so (relatively) small.

I don't necessarily think that you always have to "upgrade" in strength just because it's time for a new pair of boots, especially if she hasn't broken down her current ones and it took her a long time to break them in.

Offline momosam

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »
  My daughter also had 435's.  She had them almost 2 years and didn't break them down too much.  She got 435's again about a month ago.  She is in Pre-Juvenile and Novice Moves.  She is a light jumper though. She is working on double-double combinations and double flip. Her coach, skate sharpener and pro-shop all felt these skates were fine for her to get again.  If your daughter felt the 435's were stiff she may not like the 875's.  The 875's I think have more leather in them and are stiffer and a little heavier.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »
The pro shop said the 875 are a little lighter and stiffer.  I haven't seen any lit that says that...

Some dbl-dbl combos are easier for her than some dbl jumps on their own...  She is hard on her skates (think fast and furious, lol).  I'm picking up her boots tonight and I'll talk a little more with the skate guy.  I might have time to talk to her coaches this week.  Email is harder.

Weekends are busy in the shop so I can get more of his reasoning...