You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: skating shoes recommendation.  (Read 2238 times)

Offline skateIL

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 8
skating shoes recommendation.
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
Hi guys.

I'm from Israel and unfortunately only we have 1 shop for figure skating equipment, which i heard, carries figure skating shoes that are low quality and don't meet the needs of a figure skater.

I wanted to know, what are the price ranges for these shoes?
Which company has good quality shoes (at an affordable price)?
Has anyone tried getting them of the net, and if so, which are good and reliable sites?
And if i do get them off the net, what are the important measurements i need?

thank you!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: skating shoes recommendation.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
The right skate choice depends on many things:
1. the shape of the foot of the skater (very important, because different brands are made for different types of feet)
2. the skill level of the skater
3. the height and weight of the skater
4. if the skater's feet are expected to grow or not

A list of reputable skating stores are found in another thread (http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,3335.0.html).

The best known brands for figure skates in North America are Riedell (USA) and Jackson (Canada); in Europe, Edea and Risport (both based in Italy) skates are more common. These are all well-known brands, but they all differ in the type of feet that they work well with. Harlick, SP-Teri, and Klingbeils are some of the best (if not the only) makers of custom boots.

If you could post more information about the skater, we would be able to help you out more. :-)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

I assume when you say "figure skating shoes," you are referring to what I call a figure skating boot -- the part of the skate your foot goes into, without a blade attached to the bottom. Or you could be thinking of skates that already come with a blade attached to the boot.

I think we could give you recommendations all day long; it might help for you to tell us a little more about your skating. Are you just beginning to learn skating? Are you doing single jumps? Doubles? Ice dancing?

You can find measurement instructions as well as a chart with rough recommendations for skates depending on your level at https://www.kinziescloset.com/How_to_Measure_the_Foot.html.

You might consider Klingbeils. They will actually send you materials and instructions for how to create a mold of your foot that they then use to make custom-fitting skates. I've never personally used them, but that seems like a good route to go if you don't have a professional nearby to fit you.

Offline skateIL

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

as for more information about the skater, well, the skater is me.

My measurements are: (i converted the measurements, i hope i did it right):3.2 feet 23 inch
weight: 60 kilo's.

Unfortunately, although i have practiced ice skating before many years ago, right now am at a pretty basic level, i know how to skate well, turn and skate backwards, but that's about it right now, and my goal is to reach the level where i can do jumps, even complicated ones and spins.

VAsk8ter- u asked me what i meant by ice skates, i meant the boot that comes w/ the blade attached.

Have you guys have purchase online?

Is  it worth the risk?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »
Where do the skaters at your rink get their skates?  That would be the place to start - my guess is that you might be able to get skates that are made in Italy much easier than looking in North America.

As far as VASkater's question about ice skates with the boot and blade attached - buying skates with the boot and blade already attached - this is usually a low-level skate and I'm guessing these are the skates you can already buy at your rink.  Most skaters will want to buy boots and blades separately - meaning that say, if you order your boots from Klingbeil, for instance, you can tell them what blade you want and they will mount it for you on the boot.  Am I making sense?

I also kind of doubt that you are only 3.2 feet 23 inches... not sure what that means actually - 60 kg is 132 pounds... what is your height in centimeters?

Welcome to skatingforums!!

Offline skateIL

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »
icedancer2-some got it abroad, and some got it off the internet.

When i say "they" i mean abut 5-6 people.
Ice skating isn't very common here, we only have two rinks.
(one in Tel-aviv and one up north).

My height in centimeters is 1.56
As for ordering blades separately from boots, i take it that that's something for more professionals skaters, isn't it?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »

My height in centimeters is 1.56
As for ordering blades separately from boots, i take it that that's something for more professionals skaters, isn't it?

No. Every skater I know buys the boots and blades separately after reaching a certain level.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »
I've bought my skates from North America--once in-store, and another online. I have tried Riedell, Jackson, and Edea (local supplier) -- of these, I think I fit Jackson the best, but our pro shop doesn't stock the style and size that I want. My first online order was nerve wrecking, since there was practically no guarantee that the boot would fit despite me doing the measurements as accurately as I could. As I said, a lot about boot fit depends on your foot shape.

However, some (if not many) American pro shops would volunteer to give you advice on what brand/style you can get, if you can send them pictures of your foot, measurements, and other info about your skating. bestbuyfigureskating.com and kinziescloset.com are some online shops who responded to my queries -- I think Rainbo (forgot the website) will also do the same.

Now, for your skates. It is best to buy skates that are appropriate to your level, than to move up to the level that you want to reach. Skates get stiffer and stiffer as you get more advanced, but if you start out with a very stiff boot, you'll find that you're like skating on cement boots, and that's not good. Here are some styles that you might want to look at: https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skates.html

Offline skateIL

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
sampaguita- thank you, the link you gave me is very helpful!!

ill finish reading it and will also go to our shop, maybe they will be able to help.

thank you guys for ur answers.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
I've been hearing fantastic things about Edea, and thinking of going with them for my next pair.  Nothing else I've tried works well on my feet, so it's worth a shot.  I like that they're lighter weight with thinner soles and the inside of the boot has a less pronounced hump in it, which may allow me to wear them without putting in superfeet (provided the boots actually support my whole foot, which Klings and Riedells's do not).

I'd seriously consider them.  A ton of skaters here wear them.  Never heard a complaint about them.