You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Q's regarding Alpha-Delta comp  (Read 1226 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Q's regarding Alpha-Delta comp
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
These are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. :)

1. Alpha-Delta competitors are required to do 1 element from FS 1, but should these elements be passing FS1 standard? (ex. two-foot spins must have at least 6 non-stop revs)
2. How many FS 1 elements can a competitor put in? Are there extra points for putting more than 1 element? How about doing the same element twice?
3. Let's say you are in Gamma, can you include an element in Delta? Will it count for extra points as an element or will it just be considered as a transition?
4. On Spotlight presentations: I remember that all they judge here is acting skills (no particular moves required), but how does one determine if a presentation is Gamma or Delta level, for example?

Thank you!

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
Re: Q's regarding Alpha-Delta comp
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
The rule says to include one (1) element from FS1, and that is exactly what it means. No, a Gamma program may not include an element from Delta. The FS1 element is skated to the best of the skater's ability. It may or may not be performed to the same standard that would be expected from a more advanced skater, but it must be included in the program.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:36 AM »
No, a Gamma program may not include an element from Delta.

Would you be penalized for doing inside/outside edges then?  ??? I mean, skating is all about inside/outside edges, even for those in Alpha-Gamma...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:26:35 AM »
The edges as a required element are consecutive on a line. Don't do them that way if they aren't your level.

You can still skate on an edge.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »
I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. :)

4. On Spotlight presentations: I remember that all they judge here is acting skills (no particular moves required), but how does one determine if a presentation is Gamma or Delta level, for example?

Thank you!

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will try and answer. Although there is a bit of technical difference in the abilities between Gamma and Delta, this does not come into play all that much when skating Spotlight. Spotlight is judged on entertainment elements and ability, and there potentially would not be that much difference in the potential entertainment value of the skater's programs. So having a Gamma Spotlight program compete with a Delta Spotlight program would not be a mis-match. If a Gamma skater competed their Spotlight program against, say, a FS7 skater's Spotlight program, then that would be an unfair match-up. Not only is there a world of difference between the technical merits of the two, but there would be a world of difference in the entertainment values of the respective programs, too.  Spotlight skaters are grouped according to their relative entertainment abilities in competition, even if this means that levels next to one another are put together for Spotlight.

BTW---I have seen and judged Delta and below skaters that have presented some of the best Spotlight programs I've ever seen as far as entertainment goes, and I have seen and judged higher level skaters, FS 6 and above, who have performed some of the most boring and horrible Spotlight programs that would bring one to tears of grief. Go figure !
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !