You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Knee pads  (Read 8784 times)

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
Knee pads
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
I need knee pads for 7 people.  They all go onto their knees several times during a routine and it is killing their knees.  I made my own knee pads using a 1/2" akton wheelchair cushion.  My coach asked if I could do the same for them, but I don't think she realizes the cost.  It's cheaper than ready made pads, but still expensive.  I got 2 sets of knee pads out of my cushion, but I could probably make them smaller for them and get 3 sets out of it.  But I would still need 3 wheelchair pads.  These will actually be under pants so they don't need to be invisible.

So, my questions... 
1. Do you think the 1/4" pads would be okay for this?  They will be going down onto their knees from a squat position, so they shouldn't be hitting as hard as I do when I fall.
2. Would gel volleyball pads work just as well?  She wants the gel because it doesn't restrict movement.  Would gel volleyball pads still restrict movement (specifically knee bend)?  These are junior and senior level skaters so they will be doing doubles, and possible triples.
3. Any ideas on how to hold the gel pads on without tights?  3 of the skaters are men, so they won't be wearing tights.  I know they make sleeves for the pads, but they are expensive and we are trying to keep costs down.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Knee pads
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »
Why would these skaters not provide their own knee pads?

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
I've tried volleyball pads, and they work wonders for me, absolutely no problems with knee bend. However, given that the 7 skaters are working on doubles and triples, my concern would be that the thickness of the volleyball pads may interfere with the back scratch position in jumps (and spins).

If you really want something cheap to hold the pads, I think you can use old skating tights. I haven't tried this, but I see no reason why it won't work. Cut the part that has the right width for the skater, and use that as a sleeve. Two skaters can share one pair of tights. You may need to sew the edges to keep the fabric from unraveling.

As for the cost -- why can't the skaters shoulder the cost?

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
The skaters do cover the cost to a certain extent.  They pay into a production budget and the money for the kneepads will come out of that budget.  These skaters are just a portion of the total skaters in the production.  We're just trying to keep cost down as much as possible.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
Plus, since it's a group number, you want them all to match, costume-wise.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
I think you have a realistic chance of selling them after the show is over.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
I have volleyball knee pads ( and they are pretty thick, too).  I do not find that they interfere with backspin position at all. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
What is the price difference between the gel volleyball pads and making pads? 

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
The volleyball knee pads I've found online seem to be $5 - $10 cheaper, assuming I use the 1/4" akton pad and can get 3 sets out of each pad.  But that doesn't include the sleeves I'd have to make/buy for the men.  Plus the time involved in making 7 sets.  I'm doing this for free as a team mom, but it is still time consuming and would prefer not to do it if there are other, cheaper options.

I plan on going to the sporting goods stores tomorrow to see what volleyball knee pads they have in stock.  If I can't physically see them, I won't buy them because you just can't tell how bulky and comfortable they are from a picture.  So, if they don't have any good ones, I will probably go with the akton pad anyway. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Dance ones are foam but less bulky than volleyball pads.  They are about $10 per set.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
1/4" acton will be discreet while providing enough support
make the guys wear compression shorts?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
I think 1/4" gel would be fine.. that's about how thick the gel is on my dance knee pads (from bunheads) and it's more than enough cushion.   I can't kneel without them (on or off the ice) but with them on it doesn't bother me at all.  I have yet to take a direct hit to the knee with them on, but for just general cushion going down to the ice or protection from bumps they work great.  They are slightly supportive but not restrictive in terms of knee bend and range of motion... I really like them.  I've worn volleyball pads too and I don't like those for skating (they are nice for housework and gardening and crawling around in the attic though).

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »
The Akton 1/4" is fine, but if you don't use that, do not get the volleyball knee pads.  They are huge and will show for sure.  Instead, look in the biking supplies section.  They have the same pads, but much thinner, and still very good for skaters.  I wore them for years before shelling out for the SkatingSafe gel pads.
My glass is half full :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »
I have yet to take a direct hit to the knee with them on, but for just general cushion going down to the ice or protection from bumps they work great. .

I've had bad falls on the knee that scared everyone on ice with a big bang, yet skated away with no problem. Would anyone in the show interested in buying them?

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:06 AM »
As far as kneepad retainers are concerned, I use my skatingsafe ones with a piece of tubigrip bandage http://www.sportstek.net/tubigrip.htm.  It comes in skintone/beige or "natural" (= a creamy colour), depending on the brand.

It's cheap (I paid $5 for a metre of bandage, which was plenty for 2 kneepads) and it comes in different widths to accommodate different legs.  The pads stay up brilliantly.  I can't see any reason it wouldn't work for DIY Akton pads?

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
I just got a new set of knee pads.  I was tired of having to put the cushion under the stretch fabric, and I wanted something flesh colored.  Sooooo... i found these cool ones that seem to work great and they are on several websites.  Called Bunheads knee pads.  for dancers, but skating and dancing are similar.  I can now practice with skating dresses and not look so weird because before i had the blue stretch knee fabric that looked SO obvious.  So, look them up online.  Love them!

About $30 per pair.  If you order several pair for your group, then you can split the shipping! 

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
Quite happy with Akton, but I was eyeing these - wonder if they would fit those of us with mega thunder thighs...

I just got a new set of knee pads.  I was tired of having to put the cushion under the stretch fabric, and I wanted something flesh colored.  Sooooo... i found these cool ones that seem to work great and they are on several websites.  Called Bunheads knee pads.  for dancers, but skating and dancing are similar.  I can now practice with skating dresses and not look so weird because before i had the blue stretch knee fabric that looked SO obvious.  So, look them up online.  Love them!

About $30 per pair.  If you order several pair for your group, then you can split the shipping! 

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »
Bunheads knee pads

Those are the same ones I've been using and I *love* them :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Those are the same ones I've been using and I *love* them :)

can anyone please make a skatingsafe comparison?

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
The person I asked about size went and consulted the direct company so I got the right size.  I wear a 4 or 6 clothing size and I got the smalls.

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
Oh yeah, and i HAD a pair of the volleyball knee pads and took a hard fall and the blame thing shifted and hurt so bad I cried.  So I am no longer a fan of them.  Just my own opinion.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »
can anyone please make a skatingsafe comparison?

I have Skating Safe knee pads.  They are great, warm up to my skin, and I hardly notice them.  They need to worn under tights or something.  The men could probably wear thigh-high tights under their pants or get a stretchy elastic knee brace or sleeve to hold them in place.  They are pricey, though.

I think the Bunheads as sarahspins and miraclegro said would be perfect.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
I was hoping someone could compare the thickness / strength of bunheads and skatingsafe. How thick is the gel pad in bunheads and does it cover the knee sufficiently?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
I was hoping someone could compare the thickness / strength of bunheads and skatingsafe. How thick is the gel pad in bunheads and does it cover the knee sufficiently?

The gel is about 1/4" thick if I had to guess.. it' shard to say because it's covered front and back with fabric.  The gel layout is interesting.. there's a pad that goes right over your kneecap and then a ring that surrounds and protects the bony parts of the knee.  I can kneel in mine without pain, which is something I can't do without any pads.  Getting up from a fall is easy, I don't worry about "what if I hit my kneecap wrong" (I have cartilage damage on the outside of both kneecaps.. my left from falling on spirals as a teenager and my right from surgery, which makes it extremely painful to kneel)

The pads are not bulky at all... you can sort of see them under tights (mostly the line at the top and the bottom where they end), but it really depends on the tights.  Under black pants you basically can't tell that I have anything on at all.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
thick

The gel is about 1/4" thick if I had to guess.. it' shard to say because it's covered front and back with fabric.

Skating Safe knee pads are 3/16" (.1875") and the large covers my knee all the way around the sides.  Measurements of the gel pads are here:  http://www.skatingsafe.com/knee.html
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge