You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Picking Custom Skate Options  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Picking Custom Skate Options
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
I'm getting ready to go to California and hope to visit a preferred Harlick dealer while I'm there. There's a long list of customizations available for the Harlick skates and I could use some help deciding which options to choose. For the most part, I'll be sticking with what's free, but there are still a lot of options and I don't know what they all mean, or which would be better for me.

Just for the record, I am a beginning skater, taking private classes for Adult 2. I plan to go into ice dancing, not freestyle. Once my fit issues are cleared up, I expect to skate twice a week. I have extremely wide feet, with narrow heels, and I have very flat feet, with some pronation. I don't know how severe the pronation is, or if it requires any compensation or not. I had planned to email Harlick about it and get their opinion, but I've run out of time, I'm leaving for CA tomorrow morning. So, if the pro-shop can't answer my questions about compensating for my pronation, I'll have to skip ordering the skates at this time. I'm not risking $700-800 on an uncertainty.

So, the options:

Ankle Padding Options
  • Deluxe Padding (No Charge): Rolled Top Edge, Tendon Pads, Achilles Pads, & Ankle Pads
  • Heel Hugger Padding: Deluxe Padding Included

Is all the deluxe padding necessary? What benefit does it provide? I don't know what heel hugger padding is, but I have narrow heels. Do I need this? Or might it be uncomfortable?

Ankle Reinforcement Options
  • No Additional Reinforcement (No Charge)
  • Two Layer Construction—Medium/Soft (Similar to Competitor or Classic)
  • Three Layer Construction—Medium Plus (Between Competitor and Competitor Plus)

As a beginner skater, I believe it suggested two-layer construction, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to be overbooted. I want something firm enough to support what I'll be doing over the next year or two, but I want it to break in fairly quickly, too. I won't be getting into the advanced jumps or anything. And I'm a slow learner, so I don't expect to progress super fast.

Scallop Options
  • Flex Notch Scallop ($30)
  • Single Loop Scallop ($30)
  • Double Loop Scallop ($30)

I know I want flex notches. But what's the difference between "flex notch", "single loop", and "double loop"? Which would be best for me?

Boot Lining Options
  • Smooth Leather Lining (No Charge) – Standard Lining
  • Clarino Lining (No Charge) – Perspiration Resistant
  • Rolled Top Lining Edges (No Charge)
  • Moisture Barrier Lining ($20) – Prevents perspiration from passing through lining to outer boot

What's the clarino lining like? I'm guessing it would be a good choice, but what kind of texture does it have? What benefit does the rolled top lining edges have? How important is the moisture barrier?

Additional Custom Boot Options
Name in Soles ($20)

Is this a good security precaution to take, to help ensure nobody steals my $700-800 skates? Where is the name placed, exactly? On the inside of the boot? On the outside? On the underneath, where nobody can see it?

Tongue Options
  • Rubber Sponge Tongues (No Charge)
  • Wider Tongues (No Charge)
  • 1 or 2 Hooks on Tongues (No Charge)
  • Lace Loop Holes on Tongues (No Charge)

Since I have extra wide feet, I assume I need a wider tongue. Is this true? Since I have pronation, I probably need hooks on the tongue, to help keep the tongue from slipping to the side. But one hook or two? Or loop lace holes, instead? I haven't a clue, here.

Arch Support and Pronation Correction Options
  • Foot Impression Kit ($25)
  • Cast Poured From Impression Kit ($35)
  • Orthopedic Arch Support ($125)
  • Inside or Outside Wedge Correction ($45)

I do have some pronation. Do I need a foot impression kit? I doubt I need an arch support, but perhaps wedges would help? Any advice here?

Sole Finish Options
  • Natural Soles w/ No Sole Finish (No Charge) – Not waterproofed
  • Natural Soles w/ Wax Finish ($45)
  • Standard Sole Finish (No Charge) – Dark brown wax

Since the soles are leather, I'm assuming it's a good idea to get them waterproofed. Is there a big difference between the free "dark brown wax finish" and the $45 "natural soles w/ wax finish"? Is it merely color? I would prefer natural-colored soles over dark brown, but not if it's going to cost me $45.

Special Boot Pattern Options
  • Low-Cut Backstay (No Charge)
  • Dance Backstay ($50) – Allows better toe point
  • Lunge Pads ($30)
  • 'BB' Backstay ($50) – Extra padded collar at top of boots
  • Asymmetrical Lacing ($45)

I do intend to go into ice dance, instead of freestyle. But is it necessary to get a low back at this point? What's the difference between the free "low-cut backstay" and the $50 "dance backstay"? What are lunge pads? What is "BB Backstay"? And what is the benefit of asymmetrical lacing? Do I need any of these?

Thanks in advance for any help!  :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Picking Custom Skate Options
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
Name in Soles ($20)

Is this a good security precaution to take, to help ensure nobody steals my $700-800 skates? Where is the name placed, exactly? On the inside of the boot? On the outside? On the underneath, where nobody can see it?

I never thought of it as a security feature.  Dd has her name on her skates and artwork.  It's more of a personalization vs security.  It's on the sole and you don't notice it. Well her artwork is big but you can't see it when she is on the ice.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
Okay ... deluxe padding. Worth it. Heel Huggers: worth it if you have narrow heels.

Reinforcement: they'll tell you what you should get.  And you can get them reinforced later to strengthen them. Frankly, I would think that the 2-layer is too stiff, but, I may be way off - it depends on how tall you are, how long your legs are, how much you weigh, how much muscle you have in your legs ...

Flex Notches: we like them, they help you bend the boot faster. Some people don't like them.  A notch looks like a triangle, a scallop is curved, a double scallop is two in and outs.  You can go on the website and look at examples if you look at the gallery. The fitter will tell you what's best. That's their job!    

Lining: Go for Clarino. It's lighter, and it resists sweat.  We have had both, the Clarino is great.  It's just smooth lining, it feels nice.

Tongue: If you need a wider tongue, they'll tell you.  Get the hooks on the tongue; it'll help keep it from twisting. They're easy and work better than the holes on the tongue.

Colour:  Some people like dark.  Natural will darken anyways.  Don't worry about it. Natural is probably more the norm these days.

Backstay stuff: you don't need it.  You're doing freestyle stuff, and most people don't use a dance boot until they're quite advanced.

Honestly, Harlick will work with you.  When we ordered ours, we sent thru the tracings and our wish list. They came back with a recommendation of a custom boot; however, if you will fit a stock boot, they'll tell you. A couple of the options we asked for, they said wouldn't be appropriate for the specific skater profile ... which saved us cash.  They want you in a boot that works for you, having you unhappy isn't good for them or you.  We use a preferred Harlick dealer, the process was easy, and the boots are great. If you need the adjustments for pronation, they'll recommend it, and they apparently do a very good job with it.  

The name thing ... Kling does it on their customs too for free, Harlick does it as an option. It's just something that people like.  It's not necessary at all.  BTW: if you really want something pretty, Harlick does a really nice job with fancy decorations on their boots :)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
Reinforcement: they'll tell you what you should get.  And you can get them reinforced later to strengthen them. Frankly, I would think that the 2-layer is too stiff, but, I may be way off - it depends on how tall you are, how long your legs are, how much you weigh, how much muscle you have in your legs ...

I chose the option that's no additional reinforcement, but you still have to choose between two and three layers. Two layer is medium/soft, similar to Competitor or Classic. Three layer is medium plus, between Competitor and Competitor Plus. I am 5'3", about 125 pounds, my legs are short, and I'm still working on building up the strength/muscle in my legs. Does that help? I'm guessing two-layer would be best, since I was looking at their "Competitor" stock boots, before I realized I would need custom boots.

Flex Notches: we like them, they help you bend the boot faster. Some people don't like them.  A notch looks like a triangle, a scallop is curved, a double scallop is two in and outs.  You can go on the website and look at examples if you look at the gallery. The fitter will tell you what's best. That's their job!

I like Flex Notches, too. I had them on my Jackson Glaciers and on my Classiques and I do like them. I couldn't find any photos comparing the regular notch to the loop scallops, so I'm not sure what the difference there is. Also, do I need a double notch or should one be sufficient?

Tongue: If you need a wider tongue, they'll tell you.  Get the hooks on the tongue; it'll help keep it from twisting. They're easy and work better than the holes on the tongue.

One hook or two? I don't know how the hooks work, so I don't know which would be best.

For boot lining, do I need "Rolled Top Lining Edges"? It's free, but I don't know what it is.

I couldn't find any photos that compared the natural soles with the dark brown waxed soles. They all looked dark brown. I would really like natural-colored soles, but $45 to have them waterproofed seems excessive. And if I need the blades adjusted, that would undo the waterproofing, wouldn't it?

I also have a question about blades. I will need some, obviously. I'm appalled at how much they cost, though! The cheapest they have are the Ultima Mirage blades, which I believe is the same as what I have on my Classiques. I rather like them, though the toe picks are a bit large and tend to scrape the ice when I'm doing certain moves. In that price range, there's also the Aspire, and the Aspire X. Would either of those have smaller toe picks? How are they different from the Mirage? They're slightly more expensive, so are they better quality?

I know your skates arrive with a temporary mounting, but there is no pro-shop nearby that can do a permanent mounting. There's one guy who works at our rink who does private punching and sharpening for the coaches, but I don't know if he does blade mounting as well. Is it something easy that he could probably do? Or would I need to drive 5 hours to the figure skating shop in St. Louis to have my blades mounted?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
$45 to have them waterproofed seems excessive. And if I need the blades adjusted, that would undo the waterproofing, wouldn't it?[/i]

They draw where the blades go, take them off, waterproof and then put the blades back on.  Imho 45-60 is typical.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
I would not go with a 3 layer construction- that would be way too stiff for you.  I think Competitor would be appropriate. 
Definitely get the Heel Huggers and Deluxe lining.  For narrow heels Heel huggers are wonderful!  They feel as if your foot is hermetically sealed in the boot and the heel does not move at all! 
One hook on the front is fine and at this point you probably want to get just one notch, not two.  Two notches are common in a dance boot, but since you are still on Freestyle/ general skills, you probably do not need them.
$45 for waterproofing is common. 
Rolled top lining edges means that the lining sticks out from the leather by 1/4 inch and it is rolled- that is done so the hard leather does not dig into your leg.
I think any of the name stuff is a waste of money- better put into a nice waterproofing :-)
As far as flat foot/ pronation issue goes - you probably want to take an impression of your foot and have Harlick decide what would be best in terms of the insole.  The more information you can give them- the better!  I would not get just a "leather sock liner"- it is just a thin piece of leather over the inside of the boot.  VERY UNCOMFORTABLE and HARD!  I personally like a softer insole (microfiber or suede) with some padding.  In fact, after speaking with the owner, he is making me a special order insole with softer top side and poron on the bottom for shock absorption- I even specified how thick the front of the insole needs to be.  So, they will make sure you like your boots and are comfortable in them!

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
So the standard insole the skate comes with is just a thin leather lining? Ugh, that sounds awful. Which is more cushy, the Poron Insoles or the Thinsulate Insoles? Or are they for different purposes? For the Poron, it says they're "shock absorbing". That sounds good. So I'll skip the personalized name on the soles and go for more cushy insoles instead.

After looking through the photos again, I found one boot with a natural sole. It shows the imperfections in the sole a lot more than the dark sole does, so I'll probably choose the dark brown soles that come with a free waxing. That way, they're waterproof and they'll look nicer.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »
So the standard insole the skate comes with is just a thin leather lining? Ugh, that sounds awful. Which is more cushy, the Poron Insoles or the Thinsulate Insoles? Or are they for different purposes? For the Poron, it says they're "shock absorbing". That sounds good. So I'll skip the personalized name on the soles and go for more cushy insoles instead.

Poron insoles were fairly soft- but even their "standard" poron insoles come with poron glued on the back of the leather insole.  I did not like the sliding of the toes on the leather and also I wanted for the poron to be a bit thicker on the ball of the foot.  They sand the poron backing to a certain thickness, so you can ask for having a thicker front portion under your ball.  I also asked for the poron to be glued onto a microfiber or suede insole and not to leather. 

I don't know about the Thinsulate insoles.   I would take the foot impression, though- your boot will most likely need special insoles- and I don't know the softness (or hardness)  of the custom ones.   I would definitely talk to Harlick directly when they get your measurements (or even before- let them know all the issues you've had and ask if the foot impression is a good idea or just an inner wedge would solve it).

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
My, very minor, two cents...  My daughter has one hook on the tongue of her Sp-Teri skates, I have two hooks on my Riedells.  I actually like the two hooks better--you don't have to fit both laces under one hook and the two seem to really keep the laces snug below the hooks making it easier to tie the skates.  And, one of my recurring competition nightmares is that the laces will pop out of the hook on my dd's skates mid-program.  It's never happened and probably never will. However, since there's no additional cost, I would go with two hooks (unless there's something I'm not considering here).

Have fun and good luck with the skates!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
I think 1 hook vs 2 hooks is simply personal preference.  My Jacksons have two and I like that setup much better than what I've seen on the SP Teri's that have one.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:31:20 PM »
Thinsulate is an insulation that will help keep feet warm.  So if you have cold feet... You find it in gloves etc, and I actually have a pair of skates that are completely lined with thinsulate. 

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
Thanks for all the help, guys. The guy at the figure-skating shop was quite helpful, too. I got the skates ordered today.

It's all kind of a blur--it's been a very long day--but if I remember correctly, we skipped the poron insoles in favor of custom Superfeet orthotics. He was afraid if I got anything thicker than the standard insole I would lose the ability to feel the ice and keep my edges. So, we'll see how they feel. The Superfeet were molded to my feet, so hopefully they'll fit well. They're supposed to help with the pronation.

I got two layer construction, no extra reinforcement. Two hooks on the tongue. Clarino lining and heel huggers. He said I didn't really need flex notches, not with the low-level ankle reinforcement I'm getting. The notches would only make the boots break down faster and I shouldn't need the extra flexibility. I like the way they look, but he's the expert, so I listened to him and skipped the flex notches. I think that was the only thing I didn't get that I'd wanted.

I forgot to ask about the wider tongues. Oops.