You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help me is my pain from my skates or injury??  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 16
Help me is my pain from my skates or injury??
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »
Ever since I started practicing waltz jumps, also around the time of 3 weeks into my new skates and starting to tie the top hook, I have had pain in the left side of my left leg, a couple of inches above the ankle bone,orient to the left of where the hooks are....
Now, I did twist my left leg or ankle a bit around that time during practice, so maybe it didn't fully recover from that? It's been 3 weeks...thought is was better, but when I skate it comes back again worse...
If I lay in bed, on my left side, I can feel it when by ankle area touchs the bed...I don't feel it much when I walk, though I did in the beginning, but now, it's painful to the touch...Like if I cross my left leg on my right to tie or put on my shoe, wow, it hurts...
Also sometimes I still wish my skate would feel tighter a light bit in the heel and width, like it would feel better maybe with a thick sock, but I wear a thin trouser sock...so not sure if it's all from my skate...
Ok, sorry so long, but I guess I should cancel my lesson this week?

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Help me is my pain from my skates or injury??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
(((fiinallyskating))). It sounds very like what sarahspins and I are battling right now!  They're still trying to agree what I've done to mine - more tests this week.  Have you taken yours to a professional medico? Might be worth it to make sure you're not doing more damage.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »
No not yet..as I rarely feel the pain, only when I push on it, or try to tie my shoes, and of course I feel it after skating....I think maybe I should see if it heals, then if it comes back, I guess it's something with the skates?

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
Perhaps it is tendonitis?  I would also second talking to a doctor.  I have had 2 overuse  injuries with skating and had I gone to the doctor sooner, I would not have to be out so long :-(. 
 Your issue sounds more acute, though, so I would definitely stop doing whatever is aggravating it and talk to a dr.   Also, have you tried not tying all the way to the top hook?   Perhaps there is a pressure point that would lessen with a lower tying?

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
I think the 1st step is to get it checked by your doctor since you twisted your ankle about that time too.

That said... Does it correspond to a particular part of your new skates that may be stiffer or not as padded as surrounding parts? Are your new boots much stiffer than your last pair?

My newest boots were a big step up in stiffness and have lots of padding on the tongue and back of the boot (at the achillies). When they are laced up there is a small gap of ~ 1cm between the 2 sets of padding and this top edge part of my boots is really stiff! It neatly corresponded to where my ankle was hurting while trying to break them in! :'( It was the outside of right ankle (landing leg), couple of inches straight up above the ankle bone and only sore during skating or when touching that area. I got it checked out by my doctor but he didn't find anything untoward.

A combination of being ill for a few of weeks (so was not skating) and buying a sleeve for that ankle (to help pad it a bit more) made it a lot more comfortable during the break-in period.

Good luck!

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »
I am anew skater..I just got my first pair of skates ever about 2 months ago...the first 3 weeks were fine, so not sure if it's the skates...I did skip my lesson yesterday, and my coach may send me somewhere to get my skates resized..I guess they fit, but I just feel all around they would feel better with a thin sock, instead of a trouser stocking..I feel like I can't sometimes get that last pull tight enough before the hooks, I lose tension...

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
Update : I think it's from breaking in the skates..the pain to the touch is where the top of the skate ends...it is much better lately, and wearing moleskin over the area has helped greatly...:)

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
Go to drug store and buy a bag of the foam cosmetic pads.  Put one inside your skating tight/sock where the pain is.  See if that helps.  This is a great way to alleviate break in pressure/pain and it will probably let you know if it provides relief from new skates, or if you have done injury to thyself. :)