You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Long sleeve vs sleeveless dresses  (Read 7661 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Long sleeve vs sleeveless dresses
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
I'm new at this and looking at test and competition dresses. So many of the beautiful ones are sleeveless!  Those with long sleeves are often made of mesh fabric which I'd think provides no warmth, really.  Being someone who's usually cold, I'm wondering if I'd die in a sleeveless dress.  I know I could wear a jacket or sweater over the dress until it's time for me to go on the ice but I'm envisioning getting out there, full over nerves and freezing cold, and just completely stiffening up.  Then again, the pressure of testing my make me hot and sweaty from nerves and having no sleeves might be a relief.  I do have a tendency to get flush when I'm under pressure.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter and your preference/experience.  I have no idea what to think.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Long sleeve vs sleeveless dresses
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
Generally you are out there for such a short amount of time that it doesn't matter :)

For moves, if I'm cold or if the rink is just too cold, I will wear my jacket for some or all of the test. For freestyle, the program is not all that long and you are moving around and pushing, so go with the what you like!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
My first test session when it was FREEZING the judges sent word for all skaters to keep their jackets on during their programs.  For me it was moves, so it was no big deal, but some of the freestyle tests were nervous "are you sure it is okay" with their coaches. They kept them on though.

I wear a sleeveless dress for my program- I wear a jacket during the warm up, but even when I competed in a very cold rink I don't remember being cold during the program.  I have to worry more about my legs and not letting the muscles get tight.  I think they are colder, even in tights, than my arms are bare.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
In general, I found I never noticed the cold at all, once the event had started, no matter the dress - I'd only notice it if I took my jacket off during warmup or after I got off the ice before I got my jacket back on.

That said, there have been two times I remember actually noticing being cold during a test or competition. One was during a figures test, super early in the morning when the arena heating system hadn't kicked in yet and it was bitterly cold in and out (everyone had jackets or sweaters on, but it was still freezing), the other was during a competition where the zamboni doors to the outside got stuck open and we had a nice below-freezing cross breeze going all afternoon, and I had a fairly lightweight dress. Brrr.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »
I skated in both sleeveless and sleeved dresses in our ice show, and while skating it's never a problem. It's the period of being back stage waiting to be called, anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes. For the Nutcracker adults program, as "holiday guests" we are also expected to stay on ice and "chit chat" for another 10 minutes after skating the group number. COLD!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »
I used to worry about being cold in a sleeveless dress while I do my  program, and I keep my jacket on for the warm-up period and take it off right before I have to go on the ice.  But once I'm out there ready to skate, my nerves take over and having cold arms is the last thing on my mind.  I'm quite happy to put the jacket back on the moment I leave the ice, though. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
I competed in one rink where there was a long delay after I'd been called onto the ice before they actually started my music. Not sure what had happened, but I was in a freezing cold rink and in a sleeveless dress. My hands were white they were so cold, my arms blue and the dress red. I didn't really intend to become a flag. It was an awful skate as well because everything had seized up in the cold. I'd done everything to stay warm before I was called onto the ice, but once I was on it and just hanging around waiting, there was no way to put a jacket back on.
But most competition rinks I've been to aren't as cold as that rink so I can manage in a sleeveless dress.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »
It seems like the popular style of most ice skating dresses nowadays is that they look like swim suits or swimdresses. But why should ice skaters have to wear beach or swim wear to skate in ? There is a world of difference between the weather at the beach, and the weather in an ice rink. For me, I always try to find dresses that are long sleeved for practice or competition, as a matter of practicality in cold rinks. But nice, pretty long sleeved ice skating dresses are a bit hard to find these days, especially in the larger adult sizes, because of the above stated fashion trend. And I think that many adult women just do not have the arm, shoulder or bust profile to wear sleeveless dresses, but many still do anyway. I guess it's also because of the same fashion trend.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
It seems like the popular style of most ice skating dresses nowadays is that they look like swim suits or swimdresses. But why should ice skaters have to wear beach or swim wear to skate in ? There is a world of difference between the weather at the beach, and the weather in an ice rink.

I completely agree.  Seems like most of the long sleeve dresses have mesh sleeves for both or one of the arms.  That, too, is ridiculous.  It's not exactly warm on the ice.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
I have broad shoulders and sleeveless dresses often don't flatter me. I would never buy something sleeveless unless I could try it on first. So this trend makes it really hard for me to find dresses that don't look like something a 4-year-old would wear.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
What I'm working on is a design for a sleeveless dance dress, that I can 'dress up' with attractive little jackets. Like a red lace over stretch cloth jacket for the tangos. Or a little bolero with maybe some decoration down the back for the waltz's.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
It's easier (cheaper) for off the rack dress makers to make sleeveless as they will fit a wider range of bodies than sleevless.  The "set" of the sleeve and the width of the shoulder are two of the more body-specific characteristics in a dress.  Because skating dresses fit snug to the body, having the shoulders, underarm fit, etc accurate is more important than, say, a t-shirt or a blouse/shirt.

Now, Jerry's still makes a fair number of sleeved dresses (IIRC) and they often work with more mature bodies.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Moves tests - I like long sleeves.  Our tests can be very early in the morning and the rink is freezing. 
Comps - What ever dress I can find at the right price...  sleeves, great, no sleeves, great.  :)  I love the illusion sleeves, but I'm not sure how they hold up.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
It's easier (cheaper) for off the rack dress makers to make sleeveless as they will fit a wider range of bodies than sleevless.  The "set" of the sleeve and the width of the shoulder are two of the more body-specific characteristics in a dress.  Because skating dresses fit snug to the body, having the shoulders, underarm fit, etc accurate is more important than, say, a t-shirt or a blouse/shirt.

Good point!  I'm going to try on dresses this week.  I happen to be traveling somewhere that has a pro shop with a large selection of skating attire.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
It seems like the popular style of most ice skating dresses nowadays is that they look like swim suits or swimdresses. But why should ice skaters have to wear beach or swim wear to skate in ? There is a world of difference between the weather at the beach, and the weather in an ice rink. For me, I always try to find dresses that are long sleeved for practice or competition, as a matter of practicality in cold rinks. But nice, pretty long sleeved ice skating dresses are a bit hard to find these days, especially in the larger adult sizes, because of the above stated fashion trend. And I think that many adult women just do not have the arm, shoulder or bust profile to wear sleeveless dresses, but many still do anyway. I guess it's also because of the same fashion trend.

I've also a bug bear about all these sleeveless dresses with strappy low cut backs. The slightly more well endowed ladies need support and perhaps don't want straps on display. It would be nice if some of the dress styles accommodated this.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »
What I'm working on is a design for a sleeveless dance dress, that I can 'dress up' with attractive little jackets. Like a red lace over stretch cloth jacket for the tangos. Or a little bolero with maybe some decoration down the back for the waltz's.

Have a look at the dresses Nexxice wear for their short and long program this year. I saw them skate live last weekend and realised that they had a sleeveless dress and then little bolero tops to accent the short and long programs. I was most impressed. From a distance they look like complete dresses, but up close you could see that it was a top over the dress. Really practical idea given that they'd flown over from Canada, meant there was only one dress being brought (the base dress was used for practice) rather than three.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
I have one or two sleeveless dresses, which I bought because it was sale - too cheap to resist. I don't have the arms to wear it, so I am wondering whether some nude colour long sleeve top under it would make it better. But to get such top (which needs to be very tight fitting) with the colour matching exactly to colour of my skin, or at least to the color of the skating tights, that is really difficult.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
I have one or two sleeveless dresses, which I bought because it was sale - too cheap to resist. I don't have the arms to wear it, so I am wondering whether some nude colour long sleeve top under it would make it better. But to get such top (which needs to be very tight fitting) with the colour matching exactly to colour of my skin, or at least to the color of the skating tights, that is really difficult.

Hanca, how about this?  http://store.americanapparel.net/rsals310.html or http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa8374.html?cid=1065-1067&c=Nude

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »
I'm new at this and looking at test and competition dresses. So many of the beautiful ones are sleeveless!  Those with long sleeves are often made of mesh fabric which I'd think provides no warmth, really.  Being someone who's usually cold, I'm wondering if I'd die in a sleeveless dress.  I know I could wear a jacket or sweater over the dress until it's time for me to go on the ice but I'm envisioning getting out there, full over nerves and freezing cold, and just completely stiffening up.  Then again, the pressure of testing my make me hot and sweaty from nerves and having no sleeves might be a relief.  I do have a tendency to get flush when I'm under pressure.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter and your preference/experience.  I have no idea what to think.

Yup, you are out there for such a short time frame, it won't matter too much. For tests, judges around here(I am also in Utah and not far from SLC) allow you to keep your skating jacket on. In fact, a judge at our rink told me that I could test in black, fitting pants and a fitted long or short sleeved shirt. They just need to be able to see your lines. I'm hoping to test in the fall or in November and unless coach objects, I do not plan to wear a dress or a skirt. I'm not comfortable in a dress and if I am not comfortable it could interfere with my skating.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »
Yup, you are out there for such a short time frame, it won't matter too much. For tests, judges around here(I am also in Utah and not far from SLC) allow you to keep your skating jacket on. In fact, a judge at our rink told me that I could test in black, fitting pants and a fitted long or short sleeved shirt. They just need to be able to see your lines. I'm hoping to test in the fall or in November and unless coach objects, I do not plan to wear a dress or a skirt. I'm not comfortable in a dress and if I am not comfortable it could interfere with my skating.

Hello, neighbor!  I have heard that we can test in pants and a jacket.  But, I really do want to wear a dress.  At least, I say that now.  We'll see what my legs look like in skating tights when they arrive in the mail tomorrow.  If I'm horrified at the sight of myself, I'll change my mind very quickly!

Offline Doll

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 02:20:09 AM »
I have a question - does anyone ever use something like this under a skating dress?

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_BW117.html?pid=8986&Shop=Style&SID=331155008

My daughter is no-where near testing or competing yet but I was browsing around dancewear sites and saw this (it comes in nude).  Do people use these, or do they look weird since there would be seams along the legs, unlike tights?  It certainly seems like it would be warmer than wearing just mesh, and would eliminate the problem of mis-matched skin tones on your tights/mesh on dress (pet peeve!)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
My dd would fry in that!  I have a kid who ends up in a tank top and in her group I think she is the only one who doesn't double her tights.  She gets very warm while skating.  Also, how easy would it be for her to use the restroom?  She would have to take her top off and then pull it down. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
I have seen these used. One young lady has significant sensory issues and used it to help reduce the challenges that this entails.  However, the issue arises around matching of skin tone.  The contrast between the "suit" and the skin on hands and face make it quite obvious; they are often shiny as well, which makes it very noticeable on the ice.

If your DD is cold, there are simpler solutions:

a) use heavy weight tights, and double them up.
b) wear high collared and long-sleeved dresses, and put thermal layers underneath. Thin "skiing" type underwear doesn't show up, and, usually, little girl's dresses don't fit skin tight, so you can hide a layer under nicely.
c) there are polartec dresses out there that look like velvet. We have one ... very cozy for cold rinks.

Judges really hate seeing shivering little girls on the ice. They quite like seeing them looking comfortable and covered up, so don't worry about making sure they're warm.

Offline Doll

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks, those are great tips!  We just went to watch a competition yesterday and so many of the little ones were shivering so bad I could see it all the way from the stands, I can see why the judges hate it, it was uncomfortable to look at!

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9