You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: my gold seals are getting close to their final sharpening days.....  (Read 1741 times)

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
They are on their last legs and I am looking at a blade that has the gold seal profile.. been skating on these for eons and I love them.  I know both paramount and jackson (matrix?) have gold seal profiles.  Which is lighter and better?  I hear they stay sharp longer than the original gold seal blades.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: my gold seals are getting close to their final sharpening days.....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
I think they're both pretty equivalent in terms of weight and materials, but I don't know that the Matrix version actually uses the same rocker profile as the gold seal.  I know that Paramount has actually licensed the use of the gold seal and phantom profiles, it's why those versions cost more than the regular paramounts (which mimic the Pattern 99 rocker profile, but the pick design is slightly different).

I switched to the phantom profile paramounts a while back and they do seem to hold an edge longer - that's actually why I switched (going longer between sharpening), it had nothing to do with weight :)  I actually get "less" edge noise on mine unlike most people, but I went from a dovetailed blade (the phantom special, which was extremely noisy) to the paramounts, so I lost a bit of bite angle with the same ROH.. but that hasn't been a problem for me.  I still get nice rip noises, they're just not as loud as my old blades.

Matrix Supreme run $385 (they are 440 stainless), Gold Seal profile Paramounts (best price I can find, which is from Kinzie's Closet) are going to be $449 for 440 stainless or $379 for the 420.  You need coupons for those prices though (use P440 or P420).

Kinzie's Closet also has the best prices I've seen on Gold Seals at just $395.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Thanks!

I just looked at the gold seal revolutions... they seem kinda nice.  I wonder if it's just gimmick though...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »
Thanks!

I just looked at the gold seal revolutions... they seem kinda nice.  I wonder if it's just gimmick though...

Several skaters locally have switched to them and are very strong advocates.  They like the reduced weight quite a bit, and I have heard reference to a sort of 'spring' or "softness" on the landing.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
Several skaters locally have switched to them and are very strong advocates.  They like the reduced weight quite a bit, and I have heard reference to a sort of 'spring' or "softness" on the landing.

I have heard the same feedback about the Revolution blades.  In fact, about a year ago I saw Paul Wylie on the ice in them and asked him what kind of blades they were.  He said they were Revolution Gold Seals and he said he liked them because they felt springy.