You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 2012 Adult Nationals--elimination of extra warm-up sessions  (Read 2740 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
2012 Adult Nationals--elimination of extra warm-up sessions
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
The USFS Adult Committee posted this message on FB today:

"As I am sure most of you have noticed, there are no pre-event warmup sessions for the Dramatic or Light Entertainment events. This is not an oversight. The schedule simply does not allow any extra warmup sessions. It is not a rule to provide these 15 minute sessions for any event. It would not be surprising if this is the last year they will be included on the AN schedule.

Currently, there is no Saturday practice ice on the schedule. The LOC is working very hard to secure practice ice for Saturday. As soon as any new information is received, it will be posted"

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: 2012 Adult Nationals--elimination of extra warm-up sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:29 AM »
That's too bad that they're thinking of eliminating the Dramatic/Light Entertainment events.  For many skaters, it's a second event and for others, it's a fun way to participate at AN, especially if they're not able to be competitive in the free skate events.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
I took that to mean they were thinking of eliminating the 15 minute warm up for other events- not the dramatic/light events. 

I think there would be quite an uproar if that happened.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I disagree - the warmups not on the schedule this year, so how could this be the last year for them?
I think they meant the events themselves, not the warmups.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:56:41 AM »
I agree with Skittl - I think they're just talking about eliminating the 15 minute warmups.  This year they're eliminated for the dramatic/light events, next year they're eliminated for all events.  At least, that's what I think they're saying.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I disagree - the warmups not on the schedule this year, so how could this be the last year for them?
I think they meant the events themselves, not the warmups.

Sounds like they mean the remaining warm up sessions.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Sounds like they mean the remaining warm up sessions.

That's what I think.  Some warm ups are still on the schedule. We shouldn't expect those to be there next year.

I just don't think there would be such a casual announcement that they are doing away with HUGE events at Nats. I really don't think there is anyway they are talking about the light/dramatic events.  Those are like half of nationals!

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
Please explain, No Warm up? No Extra warm up? do you mean there isn't the three minute or so warm up usually held just prior to events at competitions? I've never been to Nationals and if they allow no warm up at all, I don't want to go. a warm up is essential not so much for good performance as for avoidance of injury. even after an off ice warm up, waiting rink side, you muscles cool down, tighten up and I feel a few minutes warm up is essential. not 15 minutes as mentioned in one of the posts, but at least a few minutes.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
No, there's always a few minutes of warmup just prior to the event, as at all competitions - multiple warmup groups if the event is large enough.  At Adult Nationals, we've also been given 15 minute "official warmups" on the day of the event, on the competition surface.  These are sometimes several hours prior to the actual competition.  It's more like a short practice, and gives you extra time to get yourself oriented on the competition surface.  You got assigned to these as part of the event, unlike regular practice ice that you have to sign up for on your own.  It's these short official practice sessions that have been eliminated this year for the Dramatic and Light Entertainment events.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »
Actually, it's a 6 minute warm up at ANs for the event, no more than 6 skaters on the warm up.
The 15 minutes was/is the official practice for the event (used to be 20).  Looks like the official practices are going "adios"