You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Our Canada skating trip  (Read 1336 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Our Canada skating trip
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »

We recently attended Arctic Winter Games, which involves 2000 athletes,nine different contingence,traditional winter sports and Dene sports which are First Nation or native sports.
They stay in villages, just like at the Olys.
She had a great time. They ate at the college,took the buses everywhere,watched other sports, they did a group number for the Gala.
 :WS:We noticed that one country held the skaters down so they could win.Something you might expect from this country but I have never noticed it personally. Ie Level 1 was maybe axle/one double. The girl who won level one had a nice double double and working on D/A and triples.They won the team event, as they were collectly better.
They really got into not only trading pins, but trading their team outfits. They couldnt trade coats until closing, but they traded hats, sweatpants, tshirts,scarves and of course PINS! Big deal these pins! I never knew....She came home with a team Yukon shirt, a hat from Greenland, a shirt from Alberta,pants fromsomehere....

She also placed well, second in short, second in long and second in combined.They used the Canadian system which is a bit different than USFSA.
She wants to try out again in two years, we happen to be the host city !

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Our Canada skating trip
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
What a fantastic opportunity!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: Our Canada skating trip
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
We recently attended Arctic Winter Games, which involves 2000 athletes,nine different contingence,traditional winter sports and Dene sports which are First Nation or native sports.
They stay in villages, just like at the Olys.
She had a great time. They ate at the college,took the buses everywhere,watched other sports, they did a group number for the Gala.
 :WS:We noticed that one country held the skaters down so they could win.Something you might expect from this country but I have never noticed it personally. Ie Level 1 was maybe axle/one double. The girl who won level one had a nice double double and working on D/A and triples.They won the team event, as they were collectly better.
They really got into not only trading pins, but trading their team outfits. They couldnt trade coats until closing, but they traded hats, sweatpants, tshirts,scarves and of course PINS! Big deal these pins! I never knew....She came home with a team Yukon shirt, a hat from Greenland, a shirt from Alberta,pants fromsomehere....

She also placed well, second in short, second in long and second in combined.They used the Canadian system which is a bit different than USFSA.
She wants to try out again in two years, we happen to be the host city !

That sounds fun! Congrats to your daughter! I bet it was an experience she will never, ever forget! AWESOME! My daughter's friend would love that!