You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: exhibitions  (Read 2193 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
exhibitions
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
A question for the adult skaters here: Do you participate in exhibitions? My club does an annual Christmas show with solo opportunities and we've got another exhibition coming up soon. This one is intended to be sort of a fun dress rehearsal/send-off for all the skaters participating in an upcoming competition.

The cost is very reasonable, and adults are encouraged to do it because it shows people that you CAN learn to skate as an adult. The skating school instructors tell us that a lot of the adults who take group skating classes have no idea that there's a future in adult skating beyond group beginner classes.

I definitely want to promote that, but I wonder if I'd just be making a fool of myself...many of the kids doing the exhibition will be much more impressive to watch than I am; the ones who aren't are little and cute enough to make up for it. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: exhibitions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
Yep- I do.

Our club show is always just solos, or duets that skaters put together- no over arching theme.  I do whatever my current program is.  Lower level than me adults participate too.

I once did a club show that was mostly group numbers and was put into a group with kids.  It was mostly fun.  I don't think people watching knew I was an adult though.

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
I'm doing one next weekend! Its a bit scary because I havent performed on ice in three years and its a super hard program.  But yea several of the adults at my rink participate too.  Usually theres an adult group number who usually do dance.  Then a couple of us do our solos.  I'm actually in a 'teen/young adult' group number as well which will be fun.  Do it for you.  Dont worry about looking foolish..if it's something that you enjoy, dont let others stop you. My parents are extremely closed minded about adult skaters competiting and participating in shows.  They havent taken the time or even care to research the sport and see the amazing opportunities it has for adults.  So, I'm doing the exhibition for me and to see if I can pull off a difficult program(by my standards) in front of an audience whether my parents come or not.  Sadly thats how it has to be:-/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
I definitely want to promote that, but I wonder if I'd just be making a fool of myself...many of the kids doing the exhibition will be much more impressive to watch than I am; the ones who aren't are little and cute enough to make up for it. 

I had that mindset for a while... Like, I am not embarrassing myself out there* until I have element X and Y. But really, our audience loves to see adults perform, there is always a lot of rapport going on.

Our rink has an end of summer exhibition that is free, anyone with a choreographed program may perform. Ice show group numbers and solos are much more "regulated" with assigned music / costume.

*with solo, somehow group numbers are OK ???

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »
I have done exhibitions only (no competitions yet).  I have done 3 solos  so far, all in house. One was with my  Bronze program and the other two just for fun.  I personally think it is a bit more stressful to do an exhibition than a competition  because you are in front of people whose standards are pretty high (the Olympics and all :-)
Skating in exhibitions is a great way to get comfortable with skating for an audience.  Our club is pretty laid back, but usually there are not many adults who participate, even though are all are encouraged!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:39:28 PM »
About 11.5 months ago I did an exhibition- I had only been skating once a week (after barely skating at all the 10 years prior), and it was the first time I had skated in front of an audience in a good 12 years.  One of the rink group coaches warned me jokingly - "be careful or you'll catch the skating bug!  Before you know it you'll be competiting again!"

I laughed and said that part if my life was probably over ... Well, he was right.  Three months later I found a coach and I'll be missing this year's exhibition for adult nationals.  :b

Exhibitions are great though.  It gives skaters of all ages and skills something to work towards - there is nothing like a looming performance or competition that makes you perfect your skills!  Plus, no matter how well I skate, I feel so accomplished afterwards.  

Don't worry about embarrassing yourselves.  First, it's fun!  Second, you're better than a very good portion of the audience, and third, you may inspire other adults to skate.  A growing community can only benefit this wonderful (insane, expensive) sport.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
I agree-exhibitions are fun! Plus, they are a nice way to get a solo if you can't get one in your club's ice show.  I use it as competition practice but it's very low key since it's families.  We have a lot of fun and there's always a wide range of skills-from kids that swizzle, to others doing double/triple jumps.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I once did a club show that was mostly group numbers and was put into a group with kids.  It was mostly fun.  I don't think people watching knew I was an adult though.
I'm not the audience always knows I am, either. In the holiday show, I always join with the other adults for what is billed in the program as the "adult number." But I'm easily 10 years younger than anyone else in the group.

With this exhibition, though, it would probably mostly be the kids and parents involved with our club who would watch. They're all really nice and encouraging, and they know I'm not 16. So I think I'll do it!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:32:33 AM »
I did the showcase we had last year and that was great! We're going to have a Christmas show again this year and if I'm still in my city I'll definitely do it!
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
You should do it!  I am the only adult skater in my club and I always participate in our club exhibitions.  As others have said, it's an excellent way to get more practice skating in front of an audience, a chance to get your program out there with no one else in your way on the ice, a way to show that adults CAN skate, and it's just fun (especially once you're done). I am usually close to the lowest level skater skill-wise, and certainly the slowest, but I do my best and the skating parents admire me for having the courage to try it.  For rink exhibitions, there will be lots of Basic Skills skaters - and a larger audience - but I still find people to be supportive.  The audience for adult events at local competitions can be really small - so these exhibitions are opportunities to have more people watching than you might in a competition.