You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Flapper-Style Dress  (Read 16002 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Flapper-Style Dress
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »
I'm thinking of making DD a flapper-style dress for the skating competition.  We have a black tux-like bodysuit with a long fringe skirt, but I think a red flapper dress with rows and rows of fringe would be better for the routine.

Where is a good place to buy fringe like that and how long does the fringe have to be?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
Re: Flapper-Style Dress
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »
I made a flapper dress years ago.  I bought my fringe at JoAnn Fabrics.  Any fabric store should carry it.  It would be with all the trims.  I don't remember what size I used though.  It was the longest one they carried.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:56 AM »
I just did a flapper dress for a 5yo Pre-pre program. I ordered the fringe from Decorating Studio.
http://www.decoratingstudio.com/Trim/chainette_fringe_main.html

They have 15 lengths and best prices I could find. I would buy each row a different length, because they tend to fray more if you cut them (although I suppose you could seal the ends). Plus, the shorter lengths are cheaper. Be sure to sew it on slightly stretched to fit over her hips.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
Caraskates - I'm not sure what you mean by "buy every row a different length."  All the examples I've seen on the 'net seem to have the same length fringe in rows from top to bottom.  Do you use shorter length fringe at the top and then use longer trim at the bottom?

SK8N - When I looked online, Joann's only had "drapery" fringe in a 4" length.  I wasn't sure if that was the same thing or the right length. 

The dress is for a skater around 5'5" tall. 
Would fewer rows of longer fringe be more flattering to her figure or float more than shorter fringe/more rows?
(Alliteration unintended, lol.)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I've only danced in these dresses, not skated, but I think that longer fringe would be really annoying when spinning or jumping, especially near the face.  More rows of shorter fringe, with shortest at the top, and gradually longer to the bottom would be preferable.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
Oh, I never thought of that - the long fringe on top would slap her silly, lol.  Great tip, thanks!

I was planning to make the dress itself out of some nice holograph-foiled lycra that I already own.

I'm wondering if I should use a lighter-weight fabric to keep the dress itself from being too heavy...or...
maybe it's a good thing to have some weight to the dress, so that it doesn't ride up too easily?

Should the fringe end just below the freestyle-length skirt or should the fringe hang down lower?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
There is so much variety!  I usually google images first.  http://www.zimbio.com/The+Greatest+Figure+Skating+Costumes+Ever/articles/hfH9yfNiHWO/Meryl+Davis  http://skateinthis.com/assets/FlapperDress.JPG

There are so many ideas out there!  Mostly I look and then discount for age, body type and freestyle vs artistic.

The dropped skirt is really important (imho) for the long fringe.  I think that is a more "grown up" looking style.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Should the fringe end just below the freestyle-length skirt or should the fringe hang down lower?

I think slightly longer is okay- but check out the length with sit spins, you don't want it dragging.

I thought this one (from google image search) was cute, my favorite of the ones I've found: http://skateinthis.com/assets/FlapperDress.JPG
This one seems to have a freestyle length skirt (since it comes mid thigh while she is bending) http://myobatlas-production-apac.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/4342309e4ba71c9a7d478ed061abd025/gallery/1303076082-Flapper+Dress+1.JPG-detail.jpg
This one has many layers of the same length: http://www.iceexcellence.com/files/1873823/uploaded/10-014%20back.JPG  I think it would hit the face on the top row.
I like how this one has multiple layers at the skirt.  http://www.iceexcellence.com/files/1873823/uploaded/allthatjazzbackresize.jpg

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
I think slightly longer is okay- but check out the length with sit spins, you don't want it dragging.

I thought this one (from google image search) was cute, my favorite of the ones I've found: http://skateinthis.com/assets/FlapperDress.JPG
This one seems to have a freestyle length skirt (since it comes mid thigh while she is bending) http://myobatlas-production-apac.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/4342309e4ba71c9a7d478ed061abd025/gallery/1303076082-Flapper+Dress+1.JPG-detail.jpg
This one has many layers of the same length: http://www.iceexcellence.com/files/1873823/uploaded/10-014%20back.JPG  I think it would hit the face on the top row.
I like how this one has multiple layers at the skirt.  http://www.iceexcellence.com/files/1873823/uploaded/allthatjazzbackresize.jpg
I like the one that goes from blue to black at the hem...I wonder how they did that?

There is so much variety!  I usually google images first.  http://www.zimbio.com/The+Greatest+Figure+Skating+Costumes+Ever/articles/hfH9yfNiHWO/Meryl+Davis  http://skateinthis.com/assets/FlapperDress.JPG

There are so many ideas out there!  Mostly I look and then discount for age, body type and freestyle vs artistic.

The dropped skirt is really important (imho) for the long fringe.  I think that is a more "grown up" looking style.
Thanks for the websites - hadn't seen those.

I had planned to use fringe over the entire dress.  You think just using it on the skirt is a better look?

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »
I made one years ago using 4" fringe sewn onto heavyweight lycra. Several things to keep in mind-the fringe is heavy and will pull the fabric. The longer fringe is even heavier.  If you use a lot, the dress will be very heavy.  It also doesn't stretch. You have to stretch the fabric a bit as you sew or it won't have any give.  Straps will need to be reinforced to support it.  Don't undo the bottom thread/tape that keeps the fringe from "swinging" until you are done sewing or you will have a big mess. Sew the rows from the bottom of the garment up so they don't get in each other's way.  It also looks best if the bottom row of fringe just slightly hangs below the hem.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »
You always have the best tips, S@D - thanks!

The dress fabric is what I worry about because of the fabric+fringe weight. 

I have a black stretch velvet bodysuit that I could add the fringe onto to make the dress but it's already a little too low-cut, so that's out if it'll pull it down further.  (The top is see-through mesh and it already comes down too low for a 13-year old, imo.)

I thought the lycra would be more sturdy but heavier.  Would a thin mesh hold up under the weight of the fringe?

The red dresses below are what I would make out of the lycra or mesh:

As an aside, I should match the fringe and dress fabric colors, right?  That way, when it swings up, it doesn't make stripes, lol.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
I like both styles.  This is really pretty - I love the style of hem.  http://www.leluxeclothing.com/the-charleston-cream-bone-p-318.html

What fun to come up with a dress from scratch!

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
My dress was not actually made for skating, but for Halloween.  I used a heavy material and made a straight dress.  I had a zipper, so didn't need to worry about stretch.  The fringe was probably 4 - 6" long.  There are different types of fringe, do not use drapery fringe, that is very heavy.  There is also a very fine fringe.  I would not recommend that either.  The best bet is to go into a store if you have one.  Here's my dress:

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
I have that second pattern and I think it would work great - I found that the skirt part fits pretty close and it would be great for a flapper-style dress.

I don't know how many examples of flapper dresses you've looked at, but some only have a row or two of fringe at the bottom - that might be an option that would still have the look but without as much weight pulling the dress down... something more along the lines of the orange dress Meryl Davis wore for their short dance this year (though yes, I know, not exactly flapper style, I'm more pointing out the fringe).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
I like both styles.  This is really pretty - I love the style of hem.  http://www.leluxeclothing.com/the-charleston-cream-bone-p-318.html

What fun to come up with a dress from scratch!

That is beautiful!  My brother's wedding is coming up...lol

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

I have a black stretch velvet bodysuit that I could add the fringe onto to make the dress but it's already a little too low-cut, so that's out if it'll pull it down further.  (The top is see-through mesh and it already comes down too low for a 13-year old, imo.)

I thought the lycra would be more sturdy but heavier.  Would a thin mesh hold up under the weight of the fringe?

As an aside, I should match the fringe and dress fabric colors, right?  That way, when it swings up, it doesn't make stripes, lol.
thanks!
Mesh-depending on the size of the fringe it might work. Maybe one row before it got too heavy.
Color-you usually see it matched to the dress color; sometimes you see black fringe with red, purple, or blue fabric.  I wouldn't go too drastic but it depends on the effect you are looking for.
Patterns-all of the patterns would work. I used basically a tube of lycra, cut and sewn to fit my body and sewed on straps (covered in sequins)-very basic and it did the job. Panties were separate.
Size-longer fringe costs more but you can get away with using less. If you are only using a few rows, go for the longer fringe as it looks pretty cool. Overlap the rows slightly (i.e. don't butt them together) by about 3/4-1" because this hides the header stitching. 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »
I would use the lycra - I think the fringe would be too heavy on the mesh. I used a heavyweight holo lycra with fringe and it worked really well. I did not have an underskirt, the skirt was the fringe and the rest of the dress was lycra. Willing to PM photo but not post.

When I said the different lengths, I assumed you were making just the skirt fringe, sorry. When I did once recently, I used one layer of 6" and one of 3" to make a freestyle length skirt (on a six year old so keep that in mind!). The fringe started just below the waist, I think the dropped skirt look is important. If you are doing the whole dress, I would probably use 6" all over and just vary the rows of fringe about 3". It's important that the fringe and base fabric are the same color or very close - you can get samples. Skate@Delaware has some good tips for sewing the fringe or you can PM with questions. I make custom skating dresses.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »

The red dresses below are what I would make out of the lycra or mesh:

I have the Jalie pattern. I have made both styles. I think it would be quite easy to make a flapper dress out of that pattern. In fact, I THINK there is one pictured on the Jalie site under this pattern. It is a photo a customer submitted. Good luck!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
After many trials and errors, I have the dress finished, finally!  I wish I had bought a Jalie pattern instead of a Kwik-Sew, but I'm a very impatient person, lol.  I like instant gratification and Hancock Fabrics had the Kwik-Sew in stock and on sale, which apparently is a rare occurrence.  I'll wait until Jalie has a sale and buy their pattern next time because I did not like using the Kwik-sew patterns.  Maybe I'm just an elitist, but I felt the construction was amateurish.

Had to redo the entire top because the pattern was for flat-chested waifs, even though the sizing said it would be okay and that the pattern was supposed to fit snugly.  It was uncomfortably tight on DD - she had trouble lifting her arms, which is bad for her catch foot spirals.  I wasn't happy with the Kwik-Sew construction, so I remade the upper bodice with a full facing/lining instead of the applied-elastic neckline.  I also remade the sleeve pattern because she wanted puffed sleeves instead of the little cap sleeves.

Now I get to do the fun stuff -

We have a bead/stone design chosen for the bodice using the stones I found on clearance at AC Moore.  I also bought a few strings of Swarovski teardrop beads that will give the top design some "swing."  I want to put them on the sleeves as well as the bodice.

I bought fringe at Joann's during a valued customer / coupon sale.  They were so very nice - I picked out the wrong color from a partial bolt at one store and when I went to another store to get some more, they agreed with me that the darker color would be better.  So Store B let me return over 7 yards of trim from Store A without even batting an eye - I couldn't believe how nice they were, assuring me it was no trouble at all.  I figured the inventory would be a problem for them at the end of the month.

The final cost of the fringe was around $3.50/yard and they had a brand-new bolt of the dark red fringe, so the bottom string was still intact!  (Skate@Delaware is right: that string makes it much easier to manage.)  DD wants it around the skirt only, so I'm planning that now.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
She managed to tear open the neckline trying the dress on, so she now has an open (inside) side seam to fix any other damage.  I did such a great job of lining it and hiding the seam allowances, too. 

The fringe is going on now.  Wow, is this dress heavy and I only have four of the eight rows of fringe applied.

It looks really great, even without the rhinestones and beads.  Can't wait to pull the stay string off the fringe, but I'm resisting the temptation until all the fringe is in place. 

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
The fringe and trim is all done!  I laid out my planned rhinestone pattern using a sheet of paper and the actual stones.  Went to move the 400-lb dress to the table next to the pattern and whoosh!  Created a breeze while putting it down, which lifted the paper and sent rhinestones flying all over the place.  Arrrgh.

Just cleaned up and redid the pattern.  Ready to start stoning now after carefully setting the dress down next to my work area.   (Had a mix of heatset and non-heaset stones, so I'm just using glue.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
The final result:

She wore a sequined headband with a couple of feathers sticking up.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
That is so beautiful!  You are very talented.  Hope your daughter appreciates all of the work you put into the dress and that she had a good skate!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
She loved the dress once it was finished.  She would have liked more stones and sequins on the skirt, though, but I ran out of time with all the re-dos.

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
This is a such a beautiful dress and you did wonderful work.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)