You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buying skates that are less than your size?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Buying skates that are less than your size?
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
After much deliberation, I have decided on buying Jackson Freestyles -- except that I now have a new sizing dilemma.

My width measurements are 8 7/16" for the right foot and 8 1/4" for the left foot. Both are measurements obtained from a sitting position. Lengthwise, my left foot measures 8 15/16", while the right measure 8 7/8".

From the size charts, Jackson 5B is for those with widths 7 15/16" to 8 1/4", while 5C is for those with widths 8 5/16" to 8 7/16". Chart-wise, I would be in a 5C. (Here's the full size chart: https://www.kinziescloset.com/Jackson_Sizing_Charts.html)

The online pro shop tells me that Jackson recommends competitive skaters to order tighter skates, corresponding to measurements 3/16" less than your actual width measurements. That puts me in a 5B.

The only problem is, I've tried on my right foot a new, unbaked Competitor 4.5C, which is rated for widths 8 3/16" to 8 1/4". Although the length was not too much of a problem, the pressure that I felt was on the sides of my toes, indicating that the boots, in its unbaked condition, was too narrow. And it was not just tight, it was painful.

The pro shop tells me that heat molding will make a difference, but I do not know what to make sense of my Competitor 4.5C experience. I have also tried on the Classique 5C (also on my right foot), and find that the length and the width are more of a fit, except that I sense some very slight wobble (sideways rotation) in the Classique. I think that a Classique 5C is slightly too wide, but I am not sure if the Freestyle 5B will be too narrow.

Which is the safer buy? Should I go for the 5B or the 5C? I can have my skates heat-molded, but I cannot have them punched since we don't have that service here.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Buying skates that are less than your size?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
I only know that our skate shop goes with the bigger foot.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
@hopskipjump: So do you also subtract from the actual measurements? The online pro shop also used the bigger foot (8 7/16") measurement, but recommended a size corresponding to 8 4/16"...

By the way, I wear a 4.5 M Riedell 133. Is that equivalent to a 4.5 B, or a 4.5 M men's width?

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »
It is hard to tell from the unbaked state- your foot may not be seated all the way in the heel cup, which would definitely throw off the true feeling of width and length. 
You can stretch a boot somewhat width-wise, but your wider foot puts you on the edge of "C" width. Your narrower foot is at the upper edge of B width as well.   B may be just too tight.   I think I would pick a C.  Different boots of the same manufacturer also may fit differently around your foot.  I would not be too concerned that a Classique was too wobbly- it is a softer boot anyway. 

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
I would not be too concerned that a Classique was too wobbly- it is a softer boot anyway.  

Don't the Freestyle and the Classique have the same stiffness rating?