You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate recommendation for daughter  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Cryo

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Skate recommendation for daughter
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
I have a similar issue daughter is 7 weighs about 50 lbs does waltz, toe, a sort of loop and half flip, sit spin and working on camel. She is still in Jackson Mystique and they don't show any significant signs of breaking down, but I'm concerned the blade is or is becoming insufficient. I'm considering the Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blade or the new Jackson Elle, it comes with or without a blade and isn't suppose to be too stiff. 

The store says even an Artiste might be too stiff, Jackson says the blade on the Mystique isn't sufficient for toe jumps, but you can't get a better blade on a mystique, it really is confusing for the kids who are fairly light.

Sorry to just mention Jacksons, but they are what seems to work for her so I don't look into other brands (tried Reidell once but she couldn't stand them).

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Skate recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »
I wouldn't worry unless her coach has pointed out that she needs to upgrade.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Skate recommendation
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »
I would mention to the coach that you are wondering when she will need an upgrade.

Some coaches won't point things like that out- assuming you are in lower level equipment because you cannot afford an upgrade, not because you don't know.  

If your rink has a good used skate trade- you might find someone a size or two up from her and call "dibs" for when the skater grows out of them.  (I know our rink it is pretty common to hear "I'm getting X's skates when she gets Y's"

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Skate recommendation for daughter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
Of course, you should always check with her coach, but you're very wise to think ahead now.  All too often, parents put off skate shopping until the last minute and the kid ends up skating with bent toes or sore ankles, lol.

If the Jacksons work for her, don't apologize, stay with that brand.  The Mystique has very lightweight support and the blade's pretty flat, so she'll have an adjustment period. 

I would suggest the Artiste model for a small, light skater who is doing low-level freestyle.  The Mark IV is a okay beginner freestyle blade.  The Classique will be too stiff for her, but I think she'll be fine breaking in the Artiste since she's jumping. 

At her age, she's going to outgrow the skates before she breaks them down (aka: wears them out) anyway. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com