You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I need a new bag  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
I need a new bag
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on bags. I am fighting tooth and nail not to get a Zuca...for the amount of stuff I generally have in my bag, I don't know if it would be big enough. ((Plus, my adult sized butt probably wouldn't find that seat comfortable  :)).

The bag I have right now is an older LL Bean bag that I got in high school. It is technically a gym bag (although, it could be used as a bookbag) that has a separate compartment that I use for clothes since I often come from work, so I can throw my skating clothes in the compartment and not have to worry about another bag.

I wouldn't mind something that rolls, although, that is not a requirement. I can't seem to find something that I like that is stylish and functional (aka big enough  ;D).

Any ideas??

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: I need a new bag
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:00:32 PM »
I suppose it depends on what you are prepared to spend?  A lot of adults at our rink use cheap rolling "oversize airline cabin" bags from the $2 store .  Depending on which $2 store you visit  :laugh:,  the bag costs about $15, lasts a year or two, and when the zip inevitably breaks (or the wheels fall off), you chuck it and buy a new one.  In an emergency, you can turf out all the skate stuff and use it as a real bag, especially if you pay more than $15 for it!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »
I tried the kids' Zucas for my stuff and there wasn't enough room.  I didn't like the size of the fabric pockets and the outside mesh is already tearing on theirs from snagged guards and spiral-bound books.  I had the kids start putting their guards in the back between the handles, which has helped a bit.

I used to have a stand-up rolling sports backpack, which was perfect!  (And only cost $50)  I liked being able to retrieve stuff without laying it down, since it unzipped at the top.  (Height-wise)  One all-around zipper expanded the bag an extra 3" when it was unzipped. The bag had small outside mesh pockets, a sunglass pocket plus two big interior sections and a lot of interior pouches and pockets.  Never used the backpack straps, but they had their own hideaway compartment that I used for books and papers.

It lasted over six years but the grab-handles started to fray and the bright yellow fabric was looking mighty grubby.  I checked with the manufacturer, but they don't make it anymore and I couldn't find anything as practical.  http://www.luggageonsale.com/ric3225.htm

I just settled and bought a 26" rolling suitcase from Marshalls for $60-70.  It's from the same company as the sportsbag and it's well-made.  The casters move in any direction, so I don't have to drag it, I can just push it alongside with one hand.  It's not supposed to open from the top, but I use it that way anyway - it's just a tight squeeze on one side when I pull out my bigfoot skates.

It didn't have an outside mesh pocket for the skate rag, so I fastened a mesh pencil case to the grab-handle with a caribiner clip.  I keep my skate hook and hand sanitizer on it, so it's functional.

What I really like is the smaller interior pouch.  I can open it like a suitcase if needed, but it keeps everything clean and I can pull out the rulebooks/PSA Moves books that I use when I coach.  The divider is movable, so when I overstuff it, it just presses into the skate pouch and vice versa.  Practical.

Since it was on sale at Marshall's, it's a boring blue, but the website shows a nice eggplant color.

http://www.amazon.com/Ricardo-Beverly-Hills-Capistrano-Compartment/dp/B00188CXVW
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sierra

• Total GOE: 97
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
If you want something a bit cheaper, Transpacks have tons of space. I have the bigger size and can fit everything and anything in it. It has a little pocket big enough to hold CDs, freestyle cards etc, and the rest of the interior is just open, so you have to dig around a bit to find small things. The skates have outside pockets, which allows them to air dry well on the long trip home.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »
Zuca is defnitely on the small side unless your skates are tiny. My vote also goes to transpack, but I admit most of them are not stylish enough :P

A few adult male skaters I see at the rink use carryon size black suitcases, I had to ask one of them what does he fill it up with so that skates don't move around...

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
I'm getting one of these:  http://www.jerryskate.com/product/149.aspxfor my birthday  :D

I like the bag on wheels effect, as I usually place my bag on a bench where I can reach over the boards for tissues, water,etc.

Zuca bags have become popular amongst younger skaters here recently, and I have to say, I just don't get it.  When you have to take everything out to get at your skates or anything else every time, what is the benefit?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:39:33 AM »
We've used those Jerry bags  before; I'll warn you though that they are not really that well made or sturdy, and they are quite tippy.  You like LL Bean stuff ... my DD has used one of their rolling backpacks for years, and it fits her size 7-1/2 skate, guards, chamois, jacket, pants, and in the outside pocket, makeup and hair stuff for competitions, quite nicely. It's taken tons of bumping and battering and it still looks great.

Zucas ARE FUN! THE WHEELS FLASH! You can sit on them! You can stage Zuca bag races with other kids sitting on their Zucas!  Actually, around here, they all have them up to about age 12, then, they are considered to be juvenile and silly, and the kids switch to LuLuLemon gym bags (which do work well as skate bags actually and look great, just really expensive).  It's a status symbol thing. My coach actively discourage them, because your skates end up bouncing around under a pile of stuff, and they are way too expensive for her taste.

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:16:37 AM »
What's wrong with just taking all your stuff, going to a store that sells bags and suitcases (or a cheaper store that sells all sorts of stuff including that) and just seeing in what bag it'll all fit comfortably? probably cheaper than a zuca, too.

I just have a backpack for my skates but then I don't usually have all that much stuff.
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Heh heh heh - I'd love to see the look on the storekeepers' faces if I were to roll in my clown-car skating bag with all the crap I carry in it, lol.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
I like an Air Force Helmet bag: http://www.flyboys.com/helmetbagjumbo.html

Long outside pockets for stuff like blade guards, inside pockets with velcroed flaps, nicely padded (a pilots helmet costs more than anyone's skates), and customizable with your name. Both handles and shoulder strap.
Only 3 colors, one of them ugly. Cheap.

I have a custom one from Korea, super for boot carrying, but the ones in the website are slightly better (more pockets).
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
Military bags, cool--very apropos for figure skating!! Agnes Nitt, you're a riot--plus you scare me a little... :D

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
*whispers: I'm glad she's on our side.*
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:21 AM »
Be grateful that you aren't trying to fit a Men's size 11-1/2 skates into a bag. Between the weight and the size ...

sigh.

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• CheapSkate
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
Have you tried helium air balloons for those. It'll accomodate large objects in the basket and it'll take the stress off your back for lifting.  ;D
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline aussieskater

• Total GOE: 52
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 06:46:38 PM »
What's wrong with just taking all your stuff, going to a store that sells bags and suitcases (or a cheaper store that sells all sorts of stuff including that) and just seeing in what bag it'll all fit comfortably? probably cheaper than a zuca, too.

Yep, that's exactly how I choose my $2-shop bag when I need a new one.  I get some funny looks from customers!  

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
Have you tried helium air balloons for those. It'll accomodate large objects in the basket and it'll take the stress off your back for lifting.  ;D

I use the 14 year old owner for the lifting ... and claim it as part of his weight training program ... seriously, the things weigh tons and that's BEFORE they swap his Aces for Gold Seals next month - !!!!!!!!! 

Actually, bags are less of an issue than soakers (never long enough for the blades) and hardguards (we use speedskating guards). However, we have found that the LLBean single skate bags accomodate them nicely (they are a great value and wear forever, have a CD pocket, Cell phone pocket, spots for laces and that, and only $30.00) - and an LL Bean carryon for when we need an actual bag. We have had one of our LL Bean single skate bags for 5 years, and it still looks like new.

Wheels just annoy me ... they fall over and bash people in the legs, and me in the legs when I carry them by the handle ... I also find that the bigger the bag, the more junk we end up carrying!

Our favorite single skate bag link is below. The black colour is great for guys, and the monogram makes it look very nice:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50856?from=SR&feat=sr

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »
Military bags, cool--very apropos for figure skating!! Agnes Nitt, you're a riot--plus you scare me a little... :D

*whispers: I'm glad she's on our side.*

I'm retired Air Force.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• CheapSkate
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 09:20:59 AM »
That only makes the helmet bag so much cooler.  >:D
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »
I use the 14 year old owner for the lifting ... and claim it as part of his weight training program ... seriously, the things weigh tons and that's BEFORE they swap his Aces for Gold Seals next month - !!!!!!!!! 
Could be worse...I always cringe at the hockey parents lugging around ginormous duffel bags that are bigger than the kid doing the skating!  (My rule would be, "when you're old enough to carry your own ginormous bag, you can play hockey.  Not before.")
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."