You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do coaches worry about music copyrights in local tests and competitions?  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
If anything will have a large audience, e.g., appear on TV, everyone worries about music copyrights. They pay fees and get permission from both the performers and the composer.

But would most coaches bother to pay for or get permission, when creating programs for their students, to be used in local tests or local single-rink competitions, which will only be heard by skating judges and/or the family and friends of the skaters?

P.S.

I'm asking about people other than yourselves, since nobody here, an Internet forum that is indexed by public search engines, would break the law.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Do coaches worry about music copyrights in local tests and competitions?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
They certainly do in Canada, and Skate Canada has regulations in place for Skating Clubs and competitions, in that there is a levy payable by the organizing commitee/club in respect of the music being played in a for-profit endeavour. This applies to ALL Skate Canada competitions, regardless of size - which is all that Skate Canada clubs can offer:

Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN)
Important notice to all clubsClubs and skating schools that host competitions or ice shows will be required to complete the necessary tariff #9 or #11 and pay the required fees as competitions and ice shows are not part of the negotiated agreement. It is important for clubs and skating schools to understand that these fees are mandated by law and are not optional.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
I don't know the reason, but I remember seeing a comp application where you had to have your tracks, and sources to the committee when you applied (I think). I assumed that this meant they had to deal with ASCAP in some way. But of course I could be completely wrong and misremembering the form.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
I've read somewhere that for comps, there is a fee rinks pay to cover ASCAP.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »
Yep, down here we have to list the composer, the performer and the CD number (being ever more frequently replaced by the Itunes receipt number ;)) for each music cut.  The association then pays a certain amount to some organisation for use of the music.

No music details = no valid entry = you're not competing.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »
Yep, down here we have to list the composer, the performer and the CD number (being ever more frequently replaced by the Itunes receipt number ;)) for each music cut.  The association then pays a certain amount to some organisation for use of the music.

No music details = no valid entry = you're not competing.

Ah, I was wondering about that on our entry forms.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
A coach involved with PSA management told me that ISI and USFSA pay fees to at least one of the U.S. music licensing organizations, so coaches can prepare routines including the music that organization licenses, and so that their students can skate at USFSA or ISI sanctioned events using them, without having to make separate arrangements. What a useful service!

She said it only becomes a problem when competitor reach the point where they are televised - e.g., it had to be dealt with on one of Michael Weiss's programs, or if a fee is charged to watch. (Maybe that's why they usually charge a donation instead of an admission fee.) And she says that to be careful, she doesn't charge students for making a music program.

This is a really nice thing that USFSA and ISI has done for their members.

This source (dated 2005) agrees that rinks pay to use music too, as does IceMom[/u].

The only question is, of the three music licensing organizations, (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), which do ISI and USFSA have licenses with? Each licenses a different set of music (perhaps some music is licensed independently?).

In any event, my main question is well answered. For must of us, music copyright in skating programs isn't a problem.

I guess this is one of the advantages of having big National organizations manage a sport.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
If anything will have a large audience, e.g., appear on TV, everyone worries about music copyrights. They pay fees and get permission from both the performers and the composer.

But would most coaches bother to pay for or get permission, when creating programs for their students, to be used in local tests or local single-rink competitions, which will only be heard by skating judges and/or the family and friends of the skaters?

P.S.

I'm asking about people other than yourselves, since nobody here, an Internet forum that is indexed by public search engines, would break the law.

I've never heard of this being an issue in the States.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
I don't know the reason, but I remember seeing a comp application where you had to have your tracks, and sources to the committee when you applied (I think). I assumed that this meant they had to deal with ASCAP in some way. But of course I could be completely wrong and misremembering the form.

The only reason that they ask for your music choices is so the judges will find it easier to remember the skater.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »

you are absolutely correct in this; similarly, we have to have choreography releases as well as the licensing of music considerations.