You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Storing skates outside a bag  (Read 1444 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Storing skates outside a bag
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Aside from gathering dust, is there a disadvantage to storing your skates outside a bag? Currently, my skates are on a rag on my bedroom floor. The blades don't touch each other, and both have a thick coating of petroleum jelly.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Storing skates outside a bag
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
If you live in a humid climate, you're exposing them to moisture.  Kiwi said her brand-new skates rusted just from sitting on the carpet, before she even used them once.  In a dry climate, they'll probably be fine (although the leather will dry out,) but they're dangerous trip hazards.  The vaseline is messy and stains fabrics and carpeting.  Sunlight exposure will fade or yellow the boots. 

I've stored skates many times since I used to skate at seasonal rinks.  Once the blades are dry, I coat the blades, put plastic wrap or wax paper over them to keep the coating in place, then store them in a tub, box or skate bag.  Toss in a silica gel packet for safe measure.

Just put some plastic wrap over the blades (with the vaseline) and put the skates away in your bag or a box until you need them again. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Storing skates outside a bag
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
I haven't thought of the effect of sun exposure on the leather. Thanks for pointing that out! I don't think I can use plastic wrap though -- climate's too humid where I live, and it would probably lock the moisture in. I hope a towel would do the trick. Thanks again!