You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Have you made your 2012 Skating Resolutions?

Yes
14 (50%)
No
3 (10.7%)
Maybe So
6 (21.4%)
Felt Left Out
1 (3.6%)
What's it to ya?
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: 2012 Skating Resolutions  (Read 16764 times)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Re: 2012 Skating Resolutions
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
1. Consistent loop
2. Consistent flip
3. Consistent lutz (landed on 1 foot instead of 2 like now).
4. 4+ revs consistently on camel (almost there)
5. Low sit spin (90 degrees)
6. Get all spirals above hip height
7. Pass Silver something - be it ISI Freestyle, USFS Moves, or even better USFS FS or even even  better all 3.
8. Master all 4 back 3 turns.
9. 3+ revs in layback position
10. Lose weight.  I think this is the thing that will help my skating the most.  I lost 21# this year (and gained 7 back).  I noticed a definate improvement in my skating at my lighter weight.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
My main goal for the year is to pass Gold MIF. I would like to be able to test on March 24, but that may not happen. I need more power on everything and better edges on my brackets. Beyond that, I hope to compete at Adult Sectionals and would like to regain some of the FS elements that I haven't done in over 2 years due to injury.

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
1) Land my loop, flip and lutz

2) Get my camel spin to a consistent 4 revolutions

3) Do more work on my spirals and quit avoiding them

4) Pass Free Skate 4*

5) Pass Preliminary*

6) Lose about 20kg

Mine are all pretty much exactly the same!

I am determined to pass Free Skate 4 either 1st or 2nd term of Aussie Skate this year... Last term of 2011, I passed everything except for the Camel and Change foot spins, and I was just 1 rev off on both of them, I'm soooo close!

Add on an extra one - Choose a private coach and start private lessons after passing Free Skate 4, as that's the highest level in Aussie Skate so private lessons is the next step.

If I can get enough consistency and confidence, I may even start entering in Adult competitions this year, but I'm not sure how likely that is at this stage.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Just a few days before New Year's, I got the great news that my broken ankle is finally healing(long story--and recovery). I'm super excited because, although I can't skate again yet, at least it's starting to seem reasonable to hope I will soon.

My one resolution in 2012 is to get back on the ice.

Beyond that, I don't know how much I can expect to accomplish because I don't know how difficult it will be to get back the skills I had. I would like to get back and hopefully test these skills:
 - pre-bronze MITF
 - Dutch Waltz
 - Canasta Tango
 - Rhythm Blues

I'd love to start working on pre-bronze FS again as well, but it's going to take me a while to work up the confidence to spin again. Actually, I'm a little nervous to start skating again in general, but it's something I want to do, which is why my resolution for 2012 is GET BACK ON THE ICE!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
Just a few days before New Year's, I got the great news that my broken ankle is finally healing(long story--and recovery). I'm super excited because, although I can't skate again yet, at least it's starting to seem reasonable to hope I will soon.

My one resolution in 2012 is to get back on the ice.

Beyond that, I don't know how much I can expect to accomplish because I don't know how difficult it will be to get back the skills I had. I would like to get back and hopefully test these skills:
 - pre-bronze MITF
 - Dutch Waltz
 - Canasta Tango
 - Rhythm Blues

I'd love to start working on pre-bronze FS again as well, but it's going to take me a while to work up the confidence to spin again. Actually, I'm a little nervous to start skating again in general, but it's something I want to do, which is why my resolution for 2012 is GET BACK ON THE ICE!

Aww that is GREAT news!!!  I'm glad to hear that your recovery is going well :) You'll be back on the ice, and you definitely sound like you have the motivation to do so.  You'll be back right where you left off as soon as you know it!!  Gosh I've been reading everyone's skating resolutions and I really gotta get mine settled and post them soon lol :)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
It is SOOO cool to see how many different levels people are at on this board!

My goals:
1. Pass Ten-Fox
2. Land lutz
3. Gain height on all jumps
4. Sit spin at shoot the duck level (more than one revolution and then falling down, which is mostly what I'm doing now!)
5. Compete in either Adult Nationals or Colonial's Adult Winter Challenge at Bronze level, freestyle and light entertainment programs
6. Flying camel up to 3 solid revolutions (it's at 1 right now with a lot of arms and legs flinging about in an unsightly manner)
7. Front to back camel
8. Start thinking about testing Silver free
9. Start Fourteen Step
10. Drag Partner Boy to see dance coach with me and get Free Dance choreographed and started (that's probably a year long goal in itself...)

(And bearing in mind that we will probably have no ice between April 1-October 30...)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
I have no idea how quickly I will progress as I'm just returning to skating but, right now, my goals are:

1.  Complete Basic 1-8.  I'm starting in Basic 5 two days from now.
2.  Once complete, begin Free Skate 1-6.
3.  Get a coach once I'm in Free Skate?
4.  DO NOT injure self or others.  Will wear protective gear including Ribcap and wrist guards every session. Wear Skating Safe UltraCrash pads (hip and knee) when learning moves that make me feel unsure or give me visions of broken bones and bloody ice.
5.  Skate 2 to 3 days a week for 2 to 3 hours each session during ski season.  More when ski season ends in mid-April.
6.  Regularly video my progress and post to YouTube.
7.  Train for testing whenever I get to that point.  No pressure on the timing but I'd like to have at least Bronze as a goal.
8.  Have fun!

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
1. Pass Pre Bronze MIF
2. Pass Pre Bronze Free Skate
3. Participate in an Adult Bronze competition
4. Pass Bronze MIF
5. Pass Bronze Free Skate *

* This will the hardest part
At this point I have not got all the jumps or spins, let alone combo jumps

... off ice

1. Get to my goal weight of 125  (I'm down to 136 from 152 since Jan 1)
2. Build up my range of motion in my upper body (lost from breast cancer surgery/reconstruction)
3. Build up muscle and endurance and correct balance issues due to knee and "old age" issues

... above all

DONT GET INJURED

and

HAVE FUN !!!

HAPPY LANDINGS FOR 2012

Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
1. Pass Pre Bronze MIF Check
2. Pass Pre Bronze Free Skate Check
3. Participate in an Adult Bronze competition Shooting for June
4. Pass Bronze MIF
5. Pass Bronze Free Skate *

... off ice

1. Get to my goal weight of 125  (I'm down to 136 from 152 since Jan 1) As of 4/3/12 I weighed in at 129.8 this morning !!!!  Yippee
2. Build up my range of motion in my upper body (lost from breast cancer surgery/reconstruction)
3. Build up muscle and endurance and correct balance issues due to knee and "old age" issues

... above all

DONT GET INJURED

and

HAVE FUN !!!

HAPPY LANDINGS FOR 2012

Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »
1. Consistent loop Yes!
2. Consistent flip Yes!
3. Consistent lutz (landed on 1 foot instead of 2 like now). Looking good for a yes!
4. 4+ revs consistently on camel (almost there) Have only been able to crack it once or twice - 3 is consistent right now
5. Low sit spin (90 degrees) Making progress but not there yet
6. Get all spirals above hip height Outside edge spirals are there - inside not so much
7. Pass Silver something - be it ISI Freestyle, USFS Moves, or even better USFS FS or even even  better all 3.
8. Master all 4 back 3 turns. All can be turned in isolation though they are small.  In the silver moves or ISI 4 Dance step is another story.
9. 3+ revs in layback position 1 rev consistently - sometimes 2
10. Lose weight.  I think this is the thing that will help my skating the most.  I lost 21# this year (and gained 7 back).  I noticed a definate improvement in my skating at my lighter weight. Gained 4 and have been holding steady there.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 07:04:10 AM »
1) Pass the Preliminary edges test
2) Pass the lowest level dance test (Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango)

I'm confident 2) won't be a problem (coach thinks both are passable now), but I can't do 2) without doing 1) first. At the current rate it's probably not going to happen, and I'm resigned to that. If I can't pass the edges test by the time they change the test content mid-year, then I'll have to either set new goals or quit, as testing will no longer be an option.
Well, now that I've decided testing is not on the agenda I'm revising my resolutions. New resolution:

Have Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango to close to passing standard by the end of the year (obviously there will be no actual passing or failing, but it's the standard that's important).

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
I have no idea how quickly I will progress as I'm just returning to skating but, right now, my goals are:

1.  Complete Basic 1-8.  I'm starting in Basic 5 two days from now.  DONE!  PASSED BASIC 1-8
2.  Once complete, begin Free Skate 1-6. CHANGED MIND.  NO MORE GROUP LESSONS.
3.  Get a coach once I'm in Free Skate?  DONE!  COACH HIRED
4.  DO NOT injure self or others.  Will wear protective gear including Ribcap and wrist guards every session. Wear Skating Safe UltraCrash pads (hip and knee) when learning moves that make me feel unsure or give me visions of broken bones and bloody ice. 
5.  Skate 2 to 3 days a week for 2 to 3 hours each session during ski season.  More when ski season ends in mid-April.  YEP
6.  Regularly video my progress and post to YouTube. 
7.  Train for testing whenever I get to that point.  No pressure on the timing but I'd like to have at least Bronze as a goal.WILL TEST IN FALL.  SILVER AS GOAL.
8.  Have fun!

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
About a third of the way through the year- time flies.

Congrats on your progress, slcbelle, Adultsk8r509 and PinkLaces!

So, the goals:
-Pass Juvenile moves. Working on them. Testing in June??
-Have consistent doubles (semi-consistent acceptable for lutz and toe.) 2 consistent, 3 to go.
-Land double-double combos. YES. They're fun.
-Skate my Preliminary program cleanly in competition. YES!
-Choreograph and compete a Pre-juvenile program. Looking good. Will work on PJ program over the summer.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:11 AM »
I've decided spontaneously, tonight, that I'm going to start skating again after several years off.  No but really.  I start at 6am (assuming the rink isn't closed for 4th of July).  I'm so excited I can't sleep, so I'll be delirious for the freestyle, which will hopefully help me not be intimidated!

So I'll set some ambitious goals for this year:
* Get all the single jumps back.
* Learn axel or a double jump.
* Get centered spins.
* Get 25+ revolutions in spins consistently.
* Not feel like a total craptastic skater when I get on the ice.
* Find a coach.
* Get new skates like the ones I used to have (pictured below).  I have Paramount blades now. :/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:31 PM »

My one resolution in 2012 is to get back on the ice. Check!

- pre-bronze MITF Check!
 - Dutch Waltz Check!
 - Canasta Tango Check!
 - Rhythm Blues Check!

I was just thinking about skating goals and remembered these New Year's Resolutions and thought I'd update.

I've also passed Bronze MITF and I am working on pre-bronze freeskate. I'm thinking about making more resolutions for the rest of the year. Might wait until after I meet with coach on Saturday to settle on anything. I think maybe I'd like to perform in some venue before the end of the year, a small, local competition, or an exhibition or an ice show. Or maybe another test?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 10:05:55 PM »
Bravo, alejeather!

I much prefer exhibitions or ice shows to competitions, what is available at your rink?

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
Very depressing to see my resolutions versus what I have accomplished so far.  I am injured so half of my resolutions aren't even possible anymore.  But I did make progress on the first ones.  Will take heart in that!  Hope everyone else is making progress on theirs, and it's great to see some have accomplished their list and need to add more!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
-Keep my knees healthy enough to skate the entire year.   So far so good, no PT yet this year!  Though I did have to take time off for a wrist injury.
-Take (pass?) my Bronze freeskate.  Yes and yes!
-Cross my foot on that stupid backspin. Well, sometimes I do

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »
I hear you Live2Sk8! Not managed any of mine so far... :-\ Hopefully I'll manage one or 2 before the end of the year.

For a chance of a consistent loop and flip I actually need to try them again sometime at least. I think the last time I tried a loop was June... Who knows when before that for the flip! :blush:

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
I am very surprised that I did not post any resolutions for 2012. Maybe it was a different thread? Or did I simply give up setting any goals in freestyle progress? Camel, backspin, and lutz are certainly coming and going like crazy, but I'll need at least the spins for silver. Not planning to venture into axel drills, but really want to start a beginner layback spin.

In terms of testing goals... I really want to give silver moves a try sometime this year. The next home club testing session is likely early November. If the moves are REALLY not ready, maybe some pre-bronze dances will have a chance. All will depend on how many lessons I could squeeze in AND availability of empty ice.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
I think I'm going to postpone my goals for this year until 2013 - they were pretty ambitious to start with.  The only rink I could conveniently go to without spending tons of time and money driving to a farther one was closed for the summer, and just reopened recently.  Due to car trouble surprises, I'm in debt through the end of September so no extra money for skating very often.  Hopefully October will be a nice fresh start where I can dive back in but there's no way I'm going to accomplish anything significant in that short of a time.  I'll be happy if I can find a good coach this year. :)

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
So now that we are officially in the 2012/2013 season... do we post new goals? 

1. Pass Pre Bronze MIFont=Verdana]
2. Pass Pre Bronze Free Skate Check
3. Participate in an Adult Bronze competition Shooting for June Check (did it in July)
4. Pass Bronze MIF Check
5. Pass Bronze Free Skate * ......Next goal

... off ice

1. Get to my goal weight of 125  CHECK !!!!!! I got to 123 .. but fluctuate to 127
2. Build up my range of motion in my upper body (lost from breast cancer surgery/reconstruction) Always room for improvement here, but Check
3. Build up muscle and endurance and correct balance issues due to knee and "old age" issues ...... I failed miserably on this one.  I need more endurance!  Balance is coming with time.

... above all

DONT GET INJURED  (so far... Check)

and

HAVE FUN !!!

HAPPY LANDINGS FOR 2012
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
I think I've hit my goals!

1.  Complete Basic 1-8.  I'm starting in Basic 5 two days from now.  CHECK.
2.  Once complete, begin Free Skate 1-6. CHANGED MIND.  NO MORE GROUP LESSONS.
3.  Get a coach once I'm in Free Skate?  CHECK.
4.  DO NOT injure self or others.  Will wear protective gear including Ribcap and wrist guards every session. Wear Skating Safe UltraCrash pads (hip and knee) when learning moves that make me feel unsure or give me visions of broken bones and bloody ice.  SO FAR, SO GOOD
5.  Skate 2 to 3 days a week for 2 to 3 hours each session during ski season.  More when ski season ends in mid-April.  CHECK.  4 o 6 days a week.
6.  Regularly video my progress and post to YouTube.  CHECK
7.  Train for testing whenever I get to that point.  No pressure on the timing but I'd like to have at least Bronze as a goal. CHECK.  PASSED PRE-BRONZE MITF and FS.
8.  Have fun!  CHECK!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 10:48:32 PM »
Bravo, alejeather!

I much prefer exhibitions or ice shows to competitions, what is available at your rink?

I haven't been able to find anything that is happening before the end of 2012, but I'm going to keep my radar up for any talk of a holiday ice show.

I'm thinking about making more resolutions for the rest of the year. Might wait until after I meet with coach on Saturday to settle on anything. I think maybe I'd like to perform in some venue before the end of the year, a small, local competition, or an exhibition or an ice show. Or maybe another test?

I'd like to put together a program, but here are my new goals for the remaining 4 months of 2012:
1. Get pre-bronze dances ready to test (depending on test dates, may not actually test them this year)
2. A scratch spin I can be proud of
3. Get comfortable with loop jump

That ought to do me. I'm also working on silver moves, though I'm not making any official resolution about those now. Also, at the rate I'm going, I feel like I'm NEVER going to achieve #2. Oh well, I guess that's why it's a goal.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
1.  Test and pass Pre-Bronze and Bronze moves and Pre-Bronze Freeskate (I think the next test session is tentatively planned for Feb, so I'll get an early start!  I expect these to be easy passes for me so it will be nice to knock out these tests without feeling much pressure) DONE!
2.  Test and pass Bronze Freeskate at the second test session of the year (coach and I think that the first test session is coming up too fast to be realistic in terms of polishing my program - we're still not done choreographing!  I expect an easy pass once that is ready though) Testing in November :D
3.  Get Lutz back.. it's been close, and I've two-footed a few, but it still remains elusive.   Sorta done!  I've decided due to my bone bruise I'm not working on this now.. I did land some back in April.
4.  Get Axel back! OFF the harness :)
5.  Get a solid haircutter spin
6.  Have silver moves test-ready by the end of the year, even if I don't test them until 2013 (this depends not just on my confidence but also on the test schedule). Testing in November :D
7.  Be working on (but not necessarily landing or even close to landing) at least one double jump - probably 2sal or 2loop since those are my favorite singles.  This also needs to happen OFF the harness :)
8.  Enter and compete in at least one competition.