You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lake Placid Adult Weeks  (Read 4770 times)

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
Lake Placid Adult Weeks
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
I'm wondering if there is anyone on here from Ontario/eastern Canada who is planning on attending either of the Adult weeks. I'm not sure if there is any "prerequisite" level of skating required to go, but I would really like to go. It would be nice to go with someone else. I'm a bit too shy, and it seems like a rather daunting adventure. It is not that far away from me, a half a day drive.
Would there be anyone else going? I know its a long time off. :blush:  but I start picking holidays at work in Jan. I have to get my passport too, as mine has expired.
Sooo....planning ahead :)

Offline jwrnsktr

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Lake Placid Adult Weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:33:40 AM »
I'm from North Carolina, formerly a New Yorker and I've been to the Lake Placid adult skating weeks several times.  The camp is for all levels of skaters.  You will see beginners as well as accomplished skaters - something for everyone.  The group classes are fun and the coaches are awesome.  You can sign up for private lessons as well.  It is so helpful to learn from different coaches and get their perspectives.  The comraderie is amazing - you will have so much fun.  Plenty of off-ice training too.  I know several skaters from Canada go each year so you should be able to hook up with someone.  Have a great time!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:25:02 AM »
Sorry for blogrolling, but I've written about Lake Placid here. It's for all levels of skaters. I'm a (very) low intermediate rec skater, and I'm not the only one who goes.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
OT: I liked your post about helmets and the reasons why they work/are overlooked.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
OT: I liked your post about helmets and the reasons why they work/are overlooked.

<<Hugs>> Thank you for that. I wondered how coaches would view my decidedly non-professional viewpoint.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
I love Lake Placid .  Unfortunately I would never make it to an adult camp...summer is family time.  :). If you have the opportunity I would say go.  It is such a beautiful place to skate.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I have never been to one of the Adult Weeks at LP but would love to go!  I believe there are a lot of people doing figures in LP on a regular basis so perhaps that would also be part of the week or at least you would be able to get some private instruction there which you can take home with you.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
That camp is one of the things on my bucket list, or seeing Lake Placid, anyways.   I have a bit of an Olympics obsession and like to visit the hosting sites. That's a really nice blog, thanks for sharing.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
I'd love to go, but since I'm on the other side of the country, it'll take me a while to save up and plan for it.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
I've attended Adult Week in Lake Placid several times.  If you decide to attend, I hope you have a more pleasant experience than I did the last two times.  Let's just say that this lefty skater spent more than the average amount of time skating around trying to get a jump in because people were just chatting in the lefty lutz corner and refused to move.  If I did the jump and was preceived to be to close to the chatty folks, I was given the "stink eye" and was twice told I had "an attitude problem".

The situation (and there was more) was so unpleasant that it will be a very, very, very cold day in July before I ever return to Adult Week in Lake Placid. 

I wish you the best of luck.  I hope you're not a lefty.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Hi kitten, I'm not a lefty ;D

Lake Placid is out...I'm booked to spend 12 days on a Mediterranean cruise in Nov...all my holidays are booked for that. 8)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:39:47 AM »
I wish I could go, but it isn't going to fit my budget. Perhaps it would be a bad idea anyway, since I  AM a left skater.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
I have been to Lake Placid many times and never had a bad experience. There are certainly all levels of skaters at both the June and August sessions, and some groups do stand around talking...however, if you work around them, or politely explain that it would be really helpful to you if they could shift a bit in one direction or another, everyone is fine with that. I have been on many dance and freestyle sessions, including ones that include the kids' camp, and the only time anyone on there had a problem was one years when a large group of high-level Italian ice dancers came onto the ice dance practice and took over the ice...you had to be bold to practice your Willow Waltz then! Being a lefty should not stop anyone from attending the camp.