You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What does your club do?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
What does your club do?
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
Clubs normally have tests and competitions, and sometimes club ice.  What else does your club do?  My (USFS) club sends me a paper book with club information and contact information for all members each year.

It also has a dance weekend, weekly dance ice, and eight synchro teams.  I've only ever participated in one club activity, a test session, so I may be ignorant.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: What does your club do?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
Most clubs also support their qualifying skaters in some way.

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »
Ours is awesome.  :love: Club comp and end of year extravaganzas aside, we have ours to thank for my girls' skating with Disney on Ice. My 5 y/o still talks about it so much you'd think it was yesterday!!

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »
I don't belong to the one here, so I don't know. I don't plan to test or compete, so there's no point in paying the membership fee.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
-My club offers a competition and test session approximately every 2 years.
-They offer 1 hour of club ice during the school year (only $4 for club members).
-They host 2 exhibitions every year ("shows" -but no cohesive theme, just solos or groups put together by friends)
-They used to host Friday exhibitions where 5 people could do their solos before the mall hosted "free family Friday" ice, not sure if that is still happening.
-This year they are hosting a swim party.
-Club members get rink discounts on both public and freestyle ice, and discounts on LTS.
-They let skaters represent a local club, rather than having to pick one of the larger ones in cities where we never actually go to the rink.  Our club is a very supportive group, and I appreciate that.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »
The structure is different here in Canada and the club I skate at isn't a normal club but here is what we get...

Ice show ever other year.
Ice time--for adults at least 3 hours of ice 4 days a week, 2 hours on Fridays and weekend an hour specifically for adults but we can skate on general sessions.
Test days - at least 4 or 5 a year.
Access to excellent coaching.
If you are interested in dancing they host about 4 ice dance guest days a month.
For the competitive skaters they have simulation days before competitions and test days.
It is a figure skating only rink so there is essentially unlimited ice time and if the rink isn't in use you are allowed to go on.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
Our club:

* has club ice that restricts the number of skaters on the ice to a lower number of skaters than the normal rink free style session
* hosts tests 3 times a year
*hosts a competition
*has several exhibitions usually before competitons and tests, but also hosts a holiday one
* has quarterly social events - the big one is held on National Skate month - 2 hours of ice and snacks
* a yearly small gift with club logo on it - in past we have received,  hats, scarves, gloves, and small make up bags.
* has a trophy case with pictures of higher level skaters and any skaters that have won bigger titles - a regional win and state win.  it also has a plaque with the names of skaters who have their gold medal tests
* co-hosts the ice show with the rink
*bought an off-ice jump harness and helps to maintain the on-ice harness

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
if the rink isn't in use you are allowed to go on.

How late at night?  And can you find out before you go?

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
I'm new to our club and our club is new to our rink, so I don't really know much about it yet.

- I think there are/will be 4 test session per year held at the home rink, but they're only one hour each. And there might be additional tests scheduled at the rink the club was before on an as-needed basis.
- *I think* the club holds an open competition once a year.
- Recitals are handled by the rink, not by the club I think
- No club ice

I don't know any other members, there doesn't seem to be many events, it seems to be a rather small club (the president = test chair = membership chair, but he's really nice). The only "contact" I've had with the club so far is to test at a test session.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/