You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ugh New Skates  (Read 1792 times)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Ugh New Skates
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »
I have Jackson Premiers and I really like them, but after having them for over a year and landing doubles (sometimes yay!), doing dance, and teaching in them usually 6 days a week they are starting to feel broken down. I don't think I will get more than a few more months out of them and I'm going to start taping them soon. I'm trying to decide if I should try SP Teris or if I should stay with Jackson's and try to Elites. I just don't like how high in the back Jacksons are so I am looking at SP Teri Zero Gravity and the SP Teri dance. I have a feeling I will be too big and too high for the Zero Gravity but I've heard the Dance is very stiff. I wouldn't mind a custom Jackson because I like them so much, but I can't spend more than $500 on my new skate. My blade is in good shape and I have to keep it. If I got Jacksons this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure if they would go on SP Teris. I wish I was a kid and I could just say "hey mom I need new skates" :-[ Any ideas or reviews?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Ugh New Skates
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
I'd move up to Elites... I have a pair of Elite plus and I recently got a pair of Premier's to try out (I had this paranoid thought for a while that I was overbooted), and while I have only skated in them a few times honestly I don't think they would withstand much jumping from me, nevermind a year's worth of doubles :)  I am traditionally very hard on boots though, and I really like the Elite Plus, and I am 100% positive now that the elite plus are right for me (I'll still be using the premiere's for moves and as a general backup pair - my current boots need to go in to Jackson to fix a problem I caused with the tongues).  I used to skate in custom SP Teri's and I am happier with the Jacksons.  I think you're definitely too big for the zero gravity - my understanding is that those are meant for little (<70lbs) kids.

I know compared to the Premiere's that my elite plus are cut lower in the back... probably about 1/2" lower?  There is also (much) more padding at the achilles too.  I'm not really sure how the regular elites compare though.