You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 40-something y.o. intermediate skater needs advice  (Read 2982 times)

Offline ellamama

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
40-something y.o. intermediate skater needs advice
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »
I'm a 46 y.o. woman who first started taking lessons a couple years ago (despite having skated as a kid on ponds, etc. without lessons). When I started, I got a pair of Riedell TS133's which were great to get me going, but I'm ready to upgrade. The boots are creased, the heel has always been too wide, and when I lace it tight enough to keep my foot snug, I get terrible pain/numbness in the top of my foot. I've been told that I should've been wearing a Jackson boot (I've a narrow heel and wide forefoot). At 5'4" and 135 lbs. I'm pretty average sized (at least for most 46 y.o. women).

I'm skating at least once a week, but hope to do more. Lots of edgework; little jumps. An adult performance troupe has been wooing me to join (they've a wonderful range of skill-levels among its ranks).

The folks around the rink aren't really gearheads (at least not as much as I am ;D). I've been told that I should have a skate with a Coronation Ace blade. Presently, I'm debating between the Freestyle, Finesse and Premiere. It seems the Freestyle and Finesse have similar support. I like that the Finesse permits more flexibility (for toe-pointing, etc.). I'm really flexible, so I like the idea that I won't be held back from moving. I also like that the Finesse has more padding and the nice footbed (I've some footpain issues). On the other hand, I wonder if it's worth the extra $$$. The Primiere is more stiff. Too stiff?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: 40-something y.o. intermediate skater needs advice
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »
Not much technical advice, from my observation Freestyle is very popular among adults near your level.

And I used to call myself intermediate level figure skater without knowing there are specific competition levels like intermediate, novice etc. with lots of double and triple jumps, hehe.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »
I'm your weight, but a little shorter.
I've found that the Premier is maybe a little bit stiffer than I need, but not too stiff at all. I only do waltz jump, toe loop, and salchow. Small jumps.

My coach did not like the idea of the Finesse (which I also wanted to help with toe point. I have gorgeous toe point in ballet, but it's hard to point in boots!) he thought that I need the stability of a full back for my jumps, since I don't have perfect technique.  He thought the low ankle would make it too easy for me to fall backwards.  He suggetested that if I really wanted a cut down boot, I needed to get the higher level dance/synchro boot Jackson offers, made to support single (and even double) jumps, not the low level one- which is presumably made for synchro skaters who are not yet to the level where they do jumps in synchro.  

I used to skate in the Competitor, which they've changed, and that was perfect, so I think the Freestyle wouldn't offer quite enough support.  Almost every kid who is doing what you are doing skates in the Freestyle, so with the extra weight, I don't know if it is really right for adults at that level too.

The Premier will be long lasting, as I don't see myself breaking it down, possibly ever...  But it isn't too much either.  

As for the Coronation Ace, it is a great blade, but can I recommend you look at the Ultima Matrix Legacy?  It is an amazing blade- I'm a huge fan! (Just switched to it this summer...)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »
The Jackson might not be a good fit for a narrow heel and wider forefoot, but, without trying on the boot, it's all speculation. Just for your reference - Riedells can be ordered in split widths when you get a bit above the 133's, which could help too.

You really need to go to a good boot fitter, especially when you are getting to the stage of deciding makes of boots. They will also help you in deciding the stiffness. If you ask 10 people hanging around an arena about boots, you'll get 10 opinions ... you need to go to an expert. They can look at your old boots, your feet, ask you about your skating style, your budget; see your body dimensions and the way you move.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
I have the Jackson Freestyles and the heel on them is too big for me.

Offline cherriee

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
I have narrow heels, wide forefeet. I had Jackson Elite Supreme boots. The front were wide enough, but the heels were too wide. My feet never got the support needed for gripping the ice. After months of trying, I gave up. Got custom boots from Klingbeil. The Jackson have sit still as backup boots.

In short, see if you can order different toe and heel widths.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
I love my jackson premieres, but I'm a lot heavier than you, although doing the same jumps. They feel very secure and suppotive, but i can still bend in them

I also vote for Coronation Ace blades! they're one of the most popular blades in the world for a reason! I have the parabolic version (only because the shop didn't have the regular in stock, so said i could have parabolic at no extra cost) which seems to have improved my spins once I adjusted to the new boot/blade

all the kids at my rink have jackson skates (freestyle, competitor or premiere), most with the Ultima Lite blades. I don't like these for anyone older than about 8, the kids say they make catch foots harder cause the space to grab is smaller, and i don't believe the weight difference would be significant for an older child, teenager or adult

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »
I'm your weight, but a little shorter.
I've found that the Premier is maybe a little bit stiffer than I need, but not too stiff at all. I only do waltz jump, toe loop, and salchow. Small jumps.

My coach did not like the idea of the Finesse (which I also wanted to help with toe point. I have gorgeous toe point in ballet, but it's hard to point in boots!) he thought that I need the stability of a full back for my jumps, since I don't have perfect technique.  He thought the low ankle would make it too easy for me to fall backwards.  He suggetested that if I really wanted a cut down boot, I needed to get the higher level dance/synchro boot Jackson offers, made to support single (and even double) jumps, not the low level one- which is presumably made for synchro skaters who are not yet to the level where they do jumps in synchro.  

I used to skate in the Competitor, which they've changed, and that was perfect, so I think the Freestyle wouldn't offer quite enough support.  Almost every kid who is doing what you are doing skates in the Freestyle, so with the extra weight, I don't know if it is really right for adults at that level too.

The Premier will be long lasting, as I don't see myself breaking it down, possibly ever...  But it isn't too much either.  

As for the Coronation Ace, it is a great blade, but can I recommend you look at the Ultima Matrix Legacy?  It is an amazing blade- I'm a huge fan! (Just switched to it this summer...)
yup-what she said!  I love my Premiers and Ultima Matrix Legacy blades!  If you go to a good boot fitter, you can get sized correctly. Jacksons can also be ordered with a split-sizing option especially if you have a very narrow heel and wider ball. 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!