You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why do you skate?  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Why do you skate?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
Because I'd always been a klutz. I tried various sports as an adult. But I could never move with any semblance of skill or grace, and I kept hurting myself.

I hoped skating would strengthen my oft-injured ankles. It did - though not before it broke a leg. Skating - and the leg - taught me that moving well is just as important as becoming stronger. Good coaches taught me a small measure of grace and efficiency. I now try many athletic activities, with confidence that I probably won't hurt myself, whether I do well or not.

I will never have the physiology, anatomy, or the childhood background to become genuinely strong, balanced and flexible. So be it.

Struggling at things that come hard for us is sometimes more engrossing than learning things that come too easily.

Offline chriskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
Do not let those comments bring you down. I've never been super good at skating, but I kept trying cause I loved it, I left it for a while and I just started practicing again. I'm not professional, will never be, but I just love skating, and when you do, you need no more reasons.

Offline Orange

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:19 PM »
I started skating because I felt that my life w as lacking something essential, a reason to get up in the morning, and it turned out to be a life-changing hobby for me. I've changed a lot as a person since then, and believe me, my parents were very unhappy about this change. But even they admit that I do seem to have found happiness and inner peace. If your skating does that for you, then skate you must, no matter what people say. Olympic gold is only a piece of metal. Life is more than that.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 04:02:17 PM »
Skating brings me joy. It's like yoga but better. I feel one with the universe.

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »
This week re affirmed that I skate for fun and discovery.

Example: Wednesday  played with Tango stops. Then discovered that after the stop, standing still for several moments is a very peaceful time.

Then at one point without thinking, pushed off backwards from the the stop with the leading foot, which was the braking foot turned out.

Did a few back and forths, tried same on opposite skating/braking foot and worked well, but did not gain much backward distance either way.   Bending the skating leg more, before pushoff gave more distance.

Worked that for about 1/2 hour then figures time was up, stick time took over.

At home cogitated the accomplishment. Surely it is nothing new in the skating world.
Some search identified the move. It is a move invented by Karl Schafer way back when.  There is a video of Orser and Boitano using it in the 1988 Olypics loop figures on yutube.

Therefore, not a new invention by any stretch of the imagination, but glad that I discovered the move for myself.  Today spent more time on this "Schafer push" managed to glide about 20 feet backward.  Hurray...
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 16
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
Agnes, your replies are always awesome!
For me, I just starting skating one month ago because it has always been on my bucket list...As a child, skating was kind of natural for me, because I roller skated first...I should have took lessons as a child but I was always to shy..I almost did at 20, and still didn't go thru with it..At 39, next month, I'm soooooooo happy I'm finally doing this..As far as performance, I will not give up until its the very best I can give...if I never go to or win a competition, then so be it, but I'm in this for the long haul.....As a parent I can't imagine saying that to my child, but don,t give up, because with lots of practice, in anything, you never know where it will take you!