You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

The best time-slice would be:

O'Dark Early (Before 6am)
5 (5.5%)
Bleary Early (6-8am)
10 (11%)
Early Riser (8-10am)
8 (8.8%)
Late Morning Yawn (10am-noon)
17 (18.7%)
Ice Lunch (noon-2pm)
12 (13.2%)
Afternoon Delight (2-4pm)
8 (8.8%)
Before Dinner (4-6pm)
5 (5.5%)
Dinnertime (6-8pm)
11 (12.1%)
Prime Time (8-10pm)
12 (13.2%)
Adult Time (10pm-midnight)
3 (3.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: July 24, 2012, 11:06:02 AM

Author Topic: Anytime is a good time for skating...  (Read 4149 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Anytime is a good time for skating...
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
Regardless of what your current options are,
what time of day would be best for you to fit in multiple practice sessions per week?  (Poll)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Anytime is a good time for skating...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
I'm sooooooo not a morning person.. even getting up and out of the house by 8am is torture :P

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »
Lunch and prime-time are running neck-and-neck right now.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
I picked late morning, afternoon delight and before dinner.

Before 9 is too early for me to feel really comfortable jumping or taking risks. I'm just not awake enough. Plus, if I've had coffee but no food or little food, I get jittery on ice.

Lunchtime, I'd either have to eat beforehand and skate on a full stomach, or be hungry.

Same problem with before dinner or dinnertime.

Prime time and adult time could be a lot of fun if I wasn't too tired. 

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
I guess I'm odd, but I actually like skating first thing in the morning. I'm not a morning person, so it gets me up and going. I voted O'Dark Early and Bleary early because it's so nice to have few people on the ice, and my body works way better before the stress of the day has hit me.

I also did the 8-10 pm slot. I'm naturally a night owl, so if I had the chance to skate that late it might actually work!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
If I had "Dinnertime" ice, 6-8PM, I'd go basically every day after work. That would be my ideal. If I had 6-8AM ice, I would go occasionally before work. (We do have this, but the only rink that is a decent commute to my office is renovating this summer). And if I could work from home, or had flexible work hours, or was independently wealthy, I would love to skate 10AM-12PM.

I've always been a night owl, but I just can't skate well after 8PM. If I get all my ducks in a row to actually go to bed early, I've found I quite like skating in the early morning. It's kind of peaceful. Mind you, skating is the ONLY thing I've ever found that will get me out of bed voluntarily before the crack of dawn. You know you have AOSS when you're arranging a lesson with a new coach and he says, "How's Saturday at 8:30AM?" And you say, "That will work just fine!"
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
Bleary Early worked awesome when I could do that before work.  I got up 15 minutes earlier and got on the ice the same time I usually started work, then went to work two hours later.  I had a pretty flexible supervisor then.

My favorite time is early afternoon, so I also picked Afternoon Delite.  I try my darnedest to make that time work.  It's public, but not usually too crowded.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
If you completely ignore that pesky thing called work... :P In order of preferance - Late Morning Yawn, Early Riser then Dinnertime.

Between 10-12noon is good for me... No stupid o'clock early alarm, my body feels awake at this time and I'm not tired out. 8-10am is ok too. Both would leave time to do other things with my day and not feel the day was entirely revolving around skating.

6-8pm would do at a push. I'm a night owl but once I'm worn out my skating is terrible and it is mostly a waste of time and money. Much later than 8pm is pretty pointless for me...

Due to my job I skate before work on Bleary Early ice with a bit of ovelap onto Early Riser. The club session I go to on a Sunday is 10.15am-12noon so the perfect time for me! ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:24 PM »
If I live close to the rink and work is also close by (I wish!) then 6-8 am well be the first choice, even better if shower is available as skating messes up my hair big time. 8-10 pm was my primary practice time for a long time and I still like it.

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:38:49 AM »
I'm useless in the morning (like now...) and I've tried to go to the early morning ice but it never works!  :blush:
I chose the Afternoon Delight as I'd miss the school traffic, Dinnertime because that's when I'm most awake and Primetime because there wouldn't be many kids there (the smaller ones you can't see).

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:14:35 AM »
Well, never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm a convert to early mornings, even though getting out of bed just about kills me. I work office hours, so the only realistic options are before or after work, and I like the empty ice at O'Dark Early and Bleary Early. After work would also be okay if the ice wasn't so busy, and it would have to be a session that is sufficiently after work hours for me to get there. Even leaving work at 4, it's a rush to make the 5:15 session.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
I have been skating on the 10:00 morning session with my coach for the summer, and at first I wasn't too thrilled about it lol.  I need to get up extra early to "wake" up as I can't just wake up and start skating ;)  I have actually grown fond of it, I enjoy getting up early now.  But my ideal time is the lunch hour to skate.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
I think 9:00 would be perfect, 8:00 is just a little too early on Saturday morning, but that is the time I have to skate.

I chose "dinnertime" as well, however, I eat dinner a lot earlier- at like 4:30.  BUT I have to eat before I skate.  If I skate at 5:00 (perfect), I need to have had food already, I can't go straight from work.

I think it is good I do morning and night skating (although when synchro had ice at 9:30-10:30 pm that sucked).  Adults always get the worst competition times, so this way I am program ready early or late!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
When I was skating at 9:00 am, that seemed to be about the perfect time.  I was awake and usually had good (not to mention empty) sessions.  I'm skating at 6:30 am right now.  I love that it is less crowded than it is at 8:00 am.  Some days are better than others.  If I don't sleep good the night before, it's usually not a good session.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
I currently skate around 4pm, but I would rather after dinner. I'm definitely an evening person, and mornings? Bleh, what are those? Horrid things that shouldn't exist!
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
6-12PM, haha.

My rink is pretty cool, though, at least for Friday night sessions, I've managed to get LONG practice times in the Friday night public sessions. It's supposed to be from 7-8:30, but oddly enough not too many people usually go to Friday nights, especially during the summer and fall, winter is a bit different, though. But what happens that's really cool, though, is a lot of times Friday nights they'll just go over. Quite recently I got to skate 'til about 9:15, as there was a hockey game on the rink downstairs, so that means over 2 hours ice time. Another time I skated until 9:45, as two higher level figure skaters that worked there decided to skate, and use the jump harness, so they had half the ice, and I had half. Not bad at all. Another time on the 4th of July, there was NOBODY there except me, so I had the ice all to myself for an hour and a half, or possibly they even let it run to 8:45.

But yeah, night time is when I find I can skate best, I usually have more calories in me then compared to morning/noon time, and I just skate much better.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
Sadly, I've been warned not to go to any of the local evening sessions as the crowd is so rowdy that there's an off duty cop hired to keep order. Same as the movie theater.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Sadly, I've been warned not to go to any of the local evening sessions as the crowd is so rowdy that there's an off duty cop hired to keep order. Same as the movie theater.

We have a cop on Friday nights, but it's not rowdy on Tuesday or Saturday nights.  I think during the summer, the cop is bored on Fridays.   ;)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »
We have security staff on Friday and Saturday evenings. They do random breathalyser checks of people as they come into the rink too.

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
I voted for Afternoon Delight because I don't have to wake up early, and there is also less traffic. I am definitely not a morning person  :P

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »
Late morning is ahead of the pack ... lunch and prime time are neck-and-neck for second place.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright