You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant  (Read 39780 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 11:15:45 AM »
I posted this in the wrong rant thread:

In more catty news: Only certain skaters can get away with the booty short look.  I am not one of them, and know that.  Other girls at the rink should probably learn that they too are not one of these certain skaters.  (And it doesn't really have to mean skinny, but well toned)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
That's true of anyone, not just skaters.  I've seen far more flesh on people at the Mall ...  not pretty.

Not a rant, but I checked out elastic cording yesterday at REI - 25¢/foot.  The material reminded me of Champion Cords.  They sell caribiner clips there, too.  They're having a sale in a week or so, so I'm thinking about buying a few lengths to make a bunch of stretch cords for skaters.  Right now, I use tarp tie-downs and they work great (quick, adjustable lengths) but I'm thinking that a few pair of full-length cords would be better for spirals and camels.  Things that make me go hmmm...have to figure out if it's more or less expensive.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
AgnesNitt -- Mismatched gloves are wonderful for teaching. Coach can call out, "red hand in front, black hand to side." So helpful for kids (big & little) who have a hard time with right & left. Easy for coach too!
That's also why you often see hockey players in mismatched socks.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
Dear Florida,

Why do you lack skate shops with a huge variety of dresses.

Love,
DaVinci

Dear Skate dress shops online,

Why do the majority of your dresses have no back to them?

Love,
DaVinci

Dear Boobs,

Why must you get in my way so much?

Love,
DaVinci

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
AgnesNitt -- Mismatched gloves are wonderful for teaching. Coach can call out, "red hand in front, black hand to side." So helpful for kids (big & little) who have a hard time with right & left. Easy for coach too!
That's also why you often see hockey players in mismatched socks.

Dear MadMac, you are my favorite basic skills coach and one heck of a long distance driver. And thanks for letting me sleep in the back all the way back.

However,  back OT what if your kids don't know their colors?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
Dear AgnesNitt -- well they are more likely to know their colors than right and left. And I'm probably worse than the little ones at figuring out R & L.

We all had such a great week. I heard no snoring from that back seat so you got to sleep on . . . SILENCE!!!! I keeeeel you.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »
However,  back OT what if your kids don't know their colors?

Well, that's why you say "purple glove" rather than "aubergine glove".  All the tots I've taught (age 2-5) have been able to identify the colors of the rainbow. 
If they are colorblind, how about "striped glove" and wear a polka dot or solid on the other hand.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
I heard no snoring from that back seat so you got to sleep on . . . SILENCE!!!! I keeeeel you.
LOL - had to give you some +GOE for that one - very funny!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
Bumping. This was a fun topic.

I'm doing a lot of backwards skating now in the new boots and I can't do a back stop to save my life. I sort of can slow myself down, then have to throw myself onto my toe picks, then coach has to grab me.

I think there's ice glue or something. Or ice gremlins. I guess I'll go to freestyle today and put some back stoking and stops in.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Stand near the wall and scrape up ice with your stopping edge, back and forth, back and forth.  That way, you can dull it down enough to stop when it really counts.

I learned my lesson about letting the blades get too dull before sharpening a few years ago.  They were new blades, so the rocker was different, and the blades were literally razor-sharp.  I skated forwards, did a t-stop, no problem.  Skated forwards, turned backwards and could not step forward or stop; had to let the momentum run out and use the toepicks.  No more of that.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2012, 01:24:16 AM »
Grr I finally saved up enough $ to ship a batch of skating goodies from the states in time for my brother's birthday...only to discover that the size pants I want might take a week or more to get (they are out of stock), meaning I have to delay the shipment & have nothing to give my brother...worse is that EVERYONE is in on the gift too, so he'll get a card & that's it, I feel terrible!

If only shipping & currency conversion wasn't so bad I'd easily be able to ship my pant separately and not hold up his gift!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:01 AM »
I have an end to my rant!  After 3 months (and MANY attempts) dd finally has a dress for her artistic program.  Who knew it would be so hard to order a dress and actually get it?  I'm stoning tomorrow!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
I have an end to my rant!  After 3 months (and MANY attempts) dd finally has a dress for her artistic program.  Who knew it would be so hard to order a dress and actually get it?  I'm stoning tomorrow!

Yay!  You'll have to share pictures once you get it stoned :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
after FINALLY purchasing a pattern online and fabric....I've screeched to a halt sewing my dress.  I only have a little bit more to go but can't seem to get it together. Maybe I'm bored, or allergic to all the glitter lol!  Actually, I've been distracted by the job searching/interviewing/etc.

I only have to finish the panty part and attach it and the skirt to the bodice and it's done. Then, I need to whip up a dress for my compulsory routine IF I'm able to go (if I get that job, I seriously doubt it).

On the table: a girl's get-together stoning gloves!!!! They are starting to go on clearance and I'm snapping up some sets.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
I only have to finish the panty part and attach it and the skirt to the bodice and it's done.

Ooooh, have you put the elastic in yet? That's a horrid job but once you get it over with, you'll be amazed how fast the rest of it goes together. Really!
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
I know why gals skate. &) It's so they can play dress up.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
I know why gals skate. &) It's so they can play dress up.

not all of them.  My DD gets a huge personal satisfaction out of outskating arrogant men who assume figure skating is a girly sport and that girls who skate are in it for the sparkly clothes.  If she wants to dress up ... she puts on the heels that show off her phenomenal skaters legs, and the dresses that show off her perfect skaters butt, plus the toned core muscles from off-ice training.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
Sk8tmum: Real athleticism is always attractive.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
Ooooh, have you put the elastic in yet? That's a horrid job but once you get it over with, you'll be amazed how fast the rest of it goes together. Really!
Actually, I find that doing the elastic is fairly easy-I have a method and it only takes me about 5 minutes to elasticize a panty (including pinning). The worst part is putting together the panty/skirt to the bodice because sometimes a layer can get "pinched" if there is a wrinkle...and you have to pick out the stitching.

Which is where it is now...pinned and ready to stitch-then it's done! Yay!!!! It will take me about 45 minutes only because I am slow and using my sewing machine (my serger is out of thread and I don't want to get any more for this little bit).

Then onto my dress for the compulsory program! I'm doing lycra with mesh overlay (haha no glitter). Can't decide how I want to overylay the mesh...I'll have to play around with it.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
My problem as well-I have a really long girth and legs....all the skirts look like kootchy skirts  :o and my behind hangs out. I like pants (I get talls whenever I can).

Adults should never, ever wear off the rack skating dresses. They look ridiculous because they're cut for 12 year olds who haven't hit puberty. If you want something with a skirt, wear a leotard with a wrap skirt (available in dance stores). It's a look that flatters everyone. The skirts come in varying lengths. I find Body Wrappers makes a good one with a nice cut.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
Adults should never, ever wear off the rack skating dresses. They look ridiculous because they're cut for 12 year olds who haven't hit puberty. If you want something with a skirt, wear a leotard with a wrap skirt (available in dance stores). It's a look that flatters everyone. The skirts come in varying lengths. I find Body Wrappers makes a good one with a nice cut.

You can find dresses off the rack that suit older skaters;  you just have to look a bit harder, or ask them to order them in in a different colour.  Brad Griffies makes dresses that suit the adult body, and I've seen many skaters with mature figures who look amazing in DelArbor dresses.  Many of Jerry's dresses also are quite attractive on skaters with curves; we have quite a few of our 1000+ club members who are definitely not pre-pubescent!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
Can I just say that I don't understand why Jackson includes these absurdly-long laces on their stock skates?  There are skaters with them tied around the ankle twice!  On my Ladies Size 7.5 Competitors, I had to go around each pair of hooks twice to pick up the slack.  One of my students' laces were just as long, even though she has skates three sizes smaller!

It's ridiculous and dangerous to put overlength laces on skates.  It also adds to the expense of buying skates if you have to replace the laces immediately.  They need to size the laces to match the skates better.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
Rant and Roll: I dislike the QuikSew patterns for skating clothing.  The construction's amateurish and the fit isn't for real skaters.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
Can I just say that I don't understand why Jackson includes these absurdly-long laces on their stock skates?  There are skaters with them tied around the ankle twice!  On my Ladies Size 7.5 Competitors, I had to go around each pair of hooks twice to pick up the slack.  One of my students' laces were just as long, even though she has skates three sizes smaller!

It's ridiculous and dangerous to put overlength laces on skates.  It also adds to the expense of buying skates if you have to replace the laces immediately.  They need to size the laces to match the skates better.

Absolutely agree!!!!!!!!! Weirdly enough, gam, which is owned by Jackson, was supplying way too short laces with skates.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
I thought I was the only person with this issue! On my 6.5 Jackson Freestyles, I was lacing the skates up, then looping the laces back down through the hooks and tying them with double knots below the hooks, and they still hung way down. Both my mom and my coach said, "Your laces are too long; that's dangerous!" and, since I was too lazy to bother to do anything about it, I blew them off. Until last month when I caught my blade on a lace in the middle of a flip jump, sliced the lace in half and went down on my back.

Someone gave me an extra pair of Riedell laces she had that are the perfect length. I found I still really prefer to take the laces back down through the hooks, and these are just long enough to do it.

My next pair of Jacksons will be a full size shorter (it turned out mine were too big) and I'm hoping they come with shorter laces.