You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why is there a pre-preliminary group A and pre-preliminary group B  (Read 2511 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
what is the difference between them?  it looks like they are in A or B all season.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Why is there a pre-preliminary group A and pre-preliminary group B
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »
There are usually multiple groups because there are so many kids at this level- this just gives more kids a shot at medaling (some will also divide groups by age).  I think a few competitions will divide A and B as "no axel" and "axel" and you specifically register for those groups, but it is not an official level, so you need to read the competition announcement to know exactly what it means.

Usually you just get to the competition and find out you've been put in group A, and it's just to make the flights more manageable.

Can you post an example of the announcement?  I searched a few clubs in different regions and couldn't find any that have you register that way.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
Thanks !  I was guessing that A were girls who were prepre their 2nd year and B was first year prepre.  :D  I couldn't find any explanation online.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
If there are enough skaters to divide into more than one group, the groups will usually be divided by birth dates.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
The last comp my daughter was in, there were 3 groups of pre-pre. She was in group C which was indeed, the older kids. :) Group A were the youngest kids and group b were the kids who were in the middle of a and c. LOL!

Offline sk8dsmom

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
hopskipjump  Are you in US or Canada (ie. Ontario)?  If somewhere in Ontario, usually PrePreA is waltz jump, salchow and toeloop only.  PrePreB allows up to loop and flip.  For both PrePreA & PrePreB skater must not have passed Preliminary Test.  (In some sections there's PrePreC as well.)
In all these, usually it's then separated into age flighted.  Similarly for Prelim A (up to lutz) and Prelim B (up to axel).

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:34:15 AM »
I'm in the US.   &)

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:31 AM »
In the New England area, many of the non-qual competitions divide PrePre in A (no axel) and B (axel allowed).  The axel is such a stumbling block for a lot of skaters that having a no-axel group gives those without a consistent axel a place to compete with others in the same boat.  (There are some of us who feel that axels have no place in Pre-Pre at all, but that's another issue. :) )

The only way to tell what the requirements for the levels are is to read the announcement for that competition.  USFS rules allow clubs to subdivide levels as they choose as long as they don't make them more liberal than the Rulebook specifications. 

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
It depends on the competition. You have to read the announcement. It can be for axel/non-axel or it can be just to divide kids up by age group.  Before the US had test track, some of the competitions my DD was in had groups of A-H (9 skaters in each).