You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hip Bursitis - any help/advice?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Hip Bursitis - any help/advice?
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway...

I fell hard on ice a little over 3 weeks ago and hurt my hip area bad. After 2 weeks, it seemed fine, so I skated, but then I guess doing backward edges hurt it all over again.

My glutes (on the side where I hit my hip) have been sore for a week now, which is interesting since I didn't really fall on my butt. Whenever I walk my hip hurts too. I'm suspecting hip bursitis.

Has anyone of you had this problem before? How long does it usually take to heal?

Thanks!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Hip Bursitis - any help/advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »
Bursitis is a specific diagnosis.  I think it really takes specific medical knowledge to diagnose it, so perhaps it's something else?
I'm recovering from a similar fall. Mine not only made my hip hurt, but also gave me a back spasm. I found gentle exercise, Advil, and rest worked. Yet I still have a pain in my hip when I do crossovers backward. I can make the hip pain less with a good warmup (walking) followed by stretching. Sitting too long makes it worse, so I have to get up at work and walk around. Since I've been injured a lot, these techniques have worked for me except when I have actually bruised a bone.

If you've bruised a bone the pain may last for months. There is no treatment to my knowledge other than heat and painkillers. (Yes you can bruise a bone without a bruise showing on your skin. I bruised the bones in my feet once after being thrown from a horse. There was no outward sign)

The soreness in your glutes may be due to the fact that if you injure one area of your body, another area takes up more work to overcome the weakness in the injured area.

Regardless of the actual reason for the pain after an injury, I do my best to continue to exercise, except I lower the intensity. Warmups are important, as also not letting your muscles get stiff during the working day.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »
Unfortunately for me, walking around hurts my hips and glutes even more.... :-(  I've actually gained some weight already since I couldn't walk far, let alone skate (which is really good for burning all those calories)...

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
Unfortunately for me, walking around hurts my hips and glutes even more.... :-(  I've actually gained some weight already since I couldn't walk far, let alone skate (which is really good for burning all those calories)...

At this point, if you haven't already done it, you sound like you're ready for some professional help.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
*sigh* You're right, I guess I am. Darn these injuries.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
If it's a bruised bone, it may hurt for quite a while; but you can probably skate on it. It took me 6 months to get over the bruised bones in my feet. If you've cracked something, well it will show up on an Xray, so the doctor will give you advice. However, it took me 3 weeks to get over my back spasm after my fall, so it may just be a muscle or ligament pulled too far.

I really recommend skating safe hip and knee pads for adult learners. I'm not connected with them. I'm just a 60 year old beginner who is one more broken bone closer to quitting.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
I really recommend skating safe hip and knee pads for adult learners. I'm not connected with them. I'm just a 60 year old beginner who is one more broken bone closer to quitting.

Oy, even one is too many. And I swear by the DIY gel pads, they saved me tons of times!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
Thanks AgnesNitt for sharing your experiences! I hope this injury heals soon.