You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: tights for short, stocky skater  (Read 4573 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
tights for short, stocky skater
« on: April 26, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
I'm 4"9, and weigh 100 lbs. I have short legs, and a heavy upper body. Right now I wear black long-sleeved, mockneck leotards and black leggings to practice, and these make my upper body look even bulkier.

I'm thinking of buying a real practice dress and tights. For short, stocky skaters like me, do you recommend footed or over-the-boot tights? And what brand is best?

If OTB is the way to go, where can I buy socks that are thin but crew-length? Because when the tongue of the boot rubs against my skin, I get wounds on my legs...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: tights for short, stocky skater
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:59 PM »
I skate in these... http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/liner.htm  However I have to throw in the caution that they've redesigned the liner socks and I don't like the new ones at all - they're thicker (but not as thick as their regular performance socks) and don't stretch as much as the older style which were more like tights, which means I find them a bit short and not as comfortable as they used to be.  They are easy to tell apart though.. the old ones have a red elastic tag sewn onto the side, the newer ones have a red logo that is knit into the front of the cuff.

My suggestion though is to go to some kind of outdoor store like REI or similar and take a look at liner socks... if you don't like toe socks (I do) then there are a million other liner possibilities out there.  I've found that the mini crew is just high enough for skate boots... but that might not be the case for everyone.

That said, I want to caution you about the tongues in your skates... it might not "just" be the rubbing.  When I got my last pair of boots, it didn't even occur to me that the tongues were latex rubber (I had previously skated in boots with wool tongues, and didn't really give it a second thought).  No matter what I put in-between my feet and the tongues, I still had a nasty blistered rash... because I am allergic to latex.  I had to remove the foam and replace it with wool, and the irritation stopped.  I can skate barefoot without problems... except for how soggy and sweaty my feet tend to feel after 15-20 minutes :)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
You can cut the bottoms off tights you already have, buy special mondor socks

http://www.discountskatewear.com/p-22-knee-highs.aspx

go to a store and buy some trouser socks, or wear footed tights under the OTB tights. You can either pull the socks all the way up to under your tights or fold them over the top of your boot.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I take it that OTB is the way to go then?

sarahspins, thanks for the advice on latex. Good thing I'm not allergic to latex as when I wear my leggings I don't get a rash.

I'll look at the Mondor and Injinji footwear...

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
I recommend going to target or any dollar store and picking up some trouser socks.  much cheaper than 'real' skating socks and are the same thing!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »
I like Mondor for over the boot tights- or Danskin, if they still make them.  OTB are expensive though, so I only wear them for shows.  Otherwise I just like footless tights, as I don't care for anything in my skates.  Footed tights would release the need for you to wear socks, though.  I like to wear a body tight (to prevent waist lines) under my OTB tights- I've always worn 2 pairs of tights when wearing beige tights in dance, so I kept that for skating.  It might just be me though....

As for socks- I prefer barefoot, but I wear Silipos gel pads (bunga is another good brand- but they were too thick for me) That prevents the sores from the boots rubbing (mine rub me to bleed along the edges...)

Also- your height and weight is NOT stocky by any measure.  It shouldn't be hard for you to find good fitting tights.  You'll just be a small or an "A".

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
If I am wearing tights, I go for Mondor evolution tights and the Mondor evolution OTB tights (I get over heated if I wear the heavier Mondor tights). But, if I am wearing a thin pair of footless tights (I have a few pair of GK footless, which I LOVE...must find a few more pairs...), I will wear a simple pair of trouser socks from Target.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
Mondor makes some really nice OTB tights with small plastic clips that keep the skate covered.  The ones without clips sometimes have to be taped in place if the tights are a little too snug/short.

I buy footless tights for my DDs and they like them more than over-the-boot.  You have to stretch the OTB tights and they give some resistance when you skate.  The footless tights might ride up a bit, but they aren't constricting. 

Trouser socks from the department stores or Target/Kohls are the same thing as the "skating socks."  Just be sure to buy a pair that match your skin tone and/or the tights.

I am the definition of short and stocky and I have a long torso as well, so my legs aren't really what you would call "long" in proportion to my body as a whole.  I look horrible in over-the-boot tights - my legs are squat and look like they end in stumps.  The white boot on the end looks much better on me in photos, imo, so it's regular tights or footless tights for me.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
Yes, my legs are shorter in proportion to my torso, that's my main problem....and my waistline isn't helping either. ;)

So OTB tights are not actually good?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
I love OTB tights because my skates are old and really yucky looking.  I also have really small feet.

People with bigger feet generally don't look as good in them.

They do look better on tall skaters- but doesn't everything???  (says the short, fat girl)

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
I really envy tall skaters...they just look so much nicer than I do.

Offline skatingmama

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
    • Icexquisite Designs
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
My DD loves OTB tights because she says they make her legs appear longer. The foot becomes an extension of the leg. HTH...
Icexquisite Designs - custom made skatewear http://www.etsy.com/shop/Icexquisite

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
I'm really short as well, and I really love capezio's skating tights. not only do they fit me as a petite skater, but i find that they last longer and are better quality than say, mondor.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I just got a pair of these Capezio hip-rider tights in L-XL in the mail last night and they seem like the most comfortable tights I've tried so far:
http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/brands/capezio/colors/fleshtone/sizes/adult/1821.aspx

I cannot bear the waistband squeezing my waist, and this solves the problem. Also, my dress has a drop-waist and this will show through less. I am less than 5'3" and just getting below 130lbs.