You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Forgotten Skaters: Belita  (Read 3592 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Forgotten Skaters: Belita
« on: June 01, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
A popular show skater and movie actress in her day (the 40's) Belita was a classically trained ballerina. As a skater she was much admired by John Curry.  She appeared in several Hollywood movies; the one that was most highly regarded was  "Suspense" (which I'm trying to find as it seems to have a plot that is more than 'let's save the show'). In the 40's she had much to recommend her as a performer, she was a busty blond built to industrial standards, and didn't mind showing her legs.

I've viewed several of her movie routines on you tube (one is below), but the best I've ever seen is her closing number from the movie 'Silver Skates'. It's on netflix streaming play, so take the opportunity to view it. She sizzles.

You may not find her skating anything special (a nice charlotte spiral though) , but remember she skated on stages, not ice rinks. I'm particularly fond of the dress in this video. With a longer skirt it would make a nice dance dress.

From Suspense:
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
Re: Forgotten Skaters: Belita
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
I love her easy style, but classic lines. Thanks so much for posting that!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
Cool- thanks for posting.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
Found a few more videos - she was a strong skater!

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
Very flexible!

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belita and the links in that article says she died in 2005. Competed at the 1936 Olympics but didn't place.

This quote would not make a good tee-shirt for skaters: "I hated the ice. I hated the cold, the smell, everything about it. I only did it for the money."

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:33:20 PM »
Why would that make a good t-shirt?  It's the opposite of what most normal skaters feel.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
Belita - Ahead of Her Time
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »
I just came across this for the first time. If you watch her elements it is amazing, especially when you compare her skating to that of her contemporaries. I think she does 6 axels in a row near the end. You could film her in colour with modern musical recordings and cut out the corny military backdrop and she would not be out of place today I think.

What do you think? I think she has a degree of extension and body position, a freedom about her, that is very atypical of that era.

Mod note: threads merged

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Re: Belita - Ahead of Her Time
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 06:35:19 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I'm going to see if any of the old timers in our two local rinks knew of her. 
She is fabulous!  Had to watch her moves over & over.   Love her camel spins!

Also, at 52 seconds is one of the coolest arm positions for a back spin!  Love the lutz jump turned into a split, and her backwards spiral that's a split jump!   At 2:14 is a beautiful side layback.  There is a strange, but explosive jump at 2:50.  Can't figure that one out.   At 2:55 is an amazing combiation spin with a really wild exit!l Another wild exit at 3:20.

What was her background?  Ballet and skating together from an early age.   

Her axel reminds me of my old axel - jumped forward.  Which is now not good. 

Did you see this one of her?   
Belita in "Suspense" 1946 Part 2
JohnCurry1 JohnCurry1·31 videos
Subscribe 72

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
I just came across this for the first time. If you watch her elements it is amazing, especially when you compare her skating to that of her contemporaries. I think she does 6 axels in a row near the end. You could film her in colour with modern musical recordings and cut out the corny military backdrop and she would not be out of place today I think.

Completely agree with this. I loved everything about her skating in the first vid, with the exception of the bent-knee camel spins. I'd get plenty of applause in our rink if I could skate like her, haha.

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
I really noticed in the suspense clip how at the 2:45-2:50 mark when she is extending her legs out the way in which a ballet background shows. My teacher is always asking me when I am extending my legs to imagine an invisible line running from my hip socket outwards into infinity, along which a burst of energy travels as we extend and straighten. The line extends past our toes and the more controlled and smooth our full extension the more energy there is.  It is so beautiful to see such wonderful extension.