You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: With ISI why would a skater use the "open" levels vs FS2 and up?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
I know ISI says skaters can do both in the same competition, I am just wondering why would they veer from the numbers?  Does a platinum badge have the same perceived value as completing all of the numbered tests?

Dd did an Open level to try out her USFSA program, should she continue in that direction or complete the "numbers" as well?

Thanks for any thoughts on this topic.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: With ISI why would a skater use the "open" levels vs FS2 and up?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »
It provides an extra event onto a competition, ie. skate FS2 and Open Bronze. 

It allows skaters who also compete in USFSA to use the same/similar programs without rechoreographing.

The "metal" levels have fewer restrictions on maneuvers, vs. the strict rules in the numbered levels.  So, if you have a FS3 element that's good, like a backwards spiral, it can be included without penalty, even if you haven't passed the FS3 test. 

It gives skaters who are "stuck" in a level a way to perform/master those higher-level elements while they work towards the FS test, or avoid the problem elements by taking the "metal" level tests instead of the traditional FS tests.

http://www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/2010RuleRevisions.pdf

Platinum is the highest Open level and there are no restrictions at all.  It's comparable to competing in FS10.

Thanks for the question - it's thought-provoking.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
That makes a lot of sense put that way - about being "stuck".  Dd did Open Silver and doesn't have a consistent Axel down so she isn't ready for FS5 or pre-pre; FS4 would have not been fair to the other girls (sandbagging?).  I am wondering if once she has an Axel if she should go back to testing with the FS numbers or stay with the open levels so she has a way of using the same program in ISI and USFS.  But down the road, if dd desires to coach, I wonder what path - open or FS - would offer more opportunities along with USFS? 

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
That makes a lot of sense put that way - about being "stuck".  Dd did Open Silver and doesn't have a consistent Axel down so she isn't ready for FS5 or pre-pre; FS4 would have not been fair to the other girls (sandbagging?).  I am wondering if once she has an Axel if she should go back to testing with the FS numbers or stay with the open levels so she has a way of using the same program in ISI and USFS.  But down the road, if dd desires to coach, I wonder what path - open or FS - would offer more opportunities along with USFS? 
I was in the same category- FS4 is too easy with flips & sit spins, Silver gives me a bit of a challenge with lutz and camel without needing an axel. ISI is really lacking a level for skaters who are working on axels but cannot put them in competition.

I wouldn't have competed ISI if they didn't have open levels, it'd have been too much of a pain to completely rechoreograph my program. So it helps to bring the USFS skaters in.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:19:43 AM »
I know nothing about ISI, so take this for what it is worth. LOL! If a skater is crossing over and doing both ISI and USFS, can't they compete at the USFS non-test level if they do not have a consistant axel? The open silver sounds a bit like non-test but then again, I have no idea what elements are required for that level either. Just curious about the 2 different programs. :) All of our rinks are USFS here, so I don't know a thing about ISI.