You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Recording Figure Skating Programs  (Read 1189 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Recording Figure Skating Programs
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
The ISI Dance Step Sequence videos made me wonder what the best way is to record a skater performing a step sequence, a program or a dance.  Is there a "best place" to work from?  Do you zoom in or out, or just stay at the default setting?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Recording Figure Skating Programs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
I think it depends what you're looking at.
When I've videoed programs I tend to avoid using the zoom unless I know where the skater is going to go in advance otherwise it's easy to lose them. I try and stand halfway down the rink preferably in the music or hockey box as you get a good view then.
If I'm recording steps for others to learn off, I try to stay close to the skater and focus on the feet. If it's a step sequence and there's body movements which needs to be recorded as well, I stay with the skater but further away so I can get the whole body and still see the feet clearly.

However, when I've been videoed, I find it really off-putting when the coach is right next to me trying to video my feet to show me what I'm doing wrong. I'm scared she's going to skate into me, or I'll kick her. And the whole point of these videos is to show me what my feet are doing wrong, but the zoom on an iphone isn't as good as on my digital camcorder.