You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ? about Preliminary competition rules  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
? about Preliminary competition rules
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
So I was watching a video of a Preliminary skater in my state and noticed that she had 3 doubles. The video doesn't say she's Preliminary but if you look at the Preliminary results for that competition she is in fact Preliminary, and she placed 1st.
She had axel, dbl sal-dbl toe, dbl toe, axel-loop-half loop-dbl sal, and dbl loop-single loop(underrotated). The Preliminary rules (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/201011InterimSinglesFSElementsNoTest-Prejuv.pdf) say you can only attempt two different doubles.

So I wanted to know if I misinterpreted the rules (though this is the first Preliminary video I've come across with all 3 doubles) or if the rule means you can only attempt two different solo doubles, doesn't matter what you put in combo, or if she got a deduction and she had good enough other elements to still place 1st, or if the judges just didn't care since the loop was cheated anyway.

Video here:
Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPkwvp-ByOQ&feature=relatedResults here: http://floridaskating.com/documents/competitions/stategames/2009/Results/155c1.htm

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: ? about Preliminary competition rules
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
the results are from May of 2009 before the rules changed. 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
So I was watching a video of a Preliminary skater in my state and noticed that she had 3 doubles. The video doesn't say she's Preliminary but if you look at the Preliminary results for that competition she is in fact Preliminary, and she placed 1st.
She had axel, dbl sal-dbl toe, dbl toe, axel-loop-half loop-dbl sal, and dbl loop-single loop(underrotated). The Preliminary rules (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/201011InterimSinglesFSElementsNoTest-Prejuv.pdf) say you can only attempt two different doubles.

So I wanted to know if I misinterpreted the rules (though this is the first Preliminary video I've come across with all 3 doubles) or if the rule means you can only attempt two different solo doubles, doesn't matter what you put in combo, or if she got a deduction and she had good enough other elements to still place 1st, or if the judges just didn't care since the loop was cheated anyway.

Video here:
Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPkwvp-ByOQ&feature=relatedResults here: http://floridaskating.com/documents/competitions/stategames/2009/Results/155c1.htm

Hmm.. I understood it the same as you.  You can repeat the same double in combination, but I think you have to choose 2 of the 3 (loop, toe loop, sal)

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »
The ordinals show she had mostly 2nd place ordinals and no 1st place ordinals, so she may have gotten deductions.  The 1st place ordinals were split up well enough between the rest of the skaters that she placed first.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
the results are from May of 2009 before the rules changed. 
The rules allowed 3 different doubles before?
The ordinals show she had mostly 2nd place ordinals and no 1st place ordinals, so she may have gotten deductions.  The 1st place ordinals were split up well enough between the rest of the skaters that she placed first.
That makes sense, maybe that's what happened ^^

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
The rules allowed 3 different doubles before? That makes sense, maybe that's what happened ^^

The rules were different, I dont remember what year it changed.2009  I think. It stopped pre pre and prelim skaters from having double flips and lutzs.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
The rules were different, I dont remember what year it changed.2009  I think. It stopped pre pre and prelim skaters from having double flips and lutzs.
Pre pre skaters used to be able to do double flips? :o Well that clears it up. Thanks all.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
I read somewhere that at one time Juvies were allowed one triple.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
Pre pre skaters used to be able to do double flips? :o Well that clears it up. Thanks all.

I think at one point (like 10 years ago), they were, but in the time period that the results that you referenced are from, Pre-Pre were only allowed an axel, no doubles. In Prelim, skaters were allowed to do up to 2 different doubles but could choose any doubles (except double axel). And the doubles could be repeated in combo. I think it was fall 2009 when the rules changed and Prelim skaters can now only attempt through double loop (I assume the purpose was to motivate skaters to move up the testing ladder as soon as they could land the harder doubles). I believe the rule is still only 2 different doubles, and as others have pointed out, the skater in question may have received a deduction for the 3rd double (the loop). Once the deduction is taken, there is no rule that the skater can't win, if he/she was that much stronger than the competition in other elements.