You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do any of you know of any good sport psychology books?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Do any of you know of any good sport psychology books?
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »
My daughter has been having trouble with her axel. A few weeks ago, it seemed to be getting better and was much more consistant.  Last week she was landing both jumps in her program and was working on it with her coach. This week was not a good week as far as her axel is concerned. Her coach has hadher on and off the the harness and yesterday, while in the harness, she was doing everything right and landed almost every jump she attempted. Her coach did not pull on the harness... it was ALL dd. She landed a couple of really pretty axels. Her coach took her off the harness and she did something completely different. Needless to say, the frustration level was quite high! After we got home, dd and I talked. Dd basically expressed a fear of getting hurt. On the belt she feels safe because she knows her coach can stop her from falling. Funny thing is, her coach doesn't do that. If her skaters are going to fall, they fall. Off the belt, she over thinks EVERYTHING and will stop or go into the jump completely awkward. She didn't think she was over thinking it until she was talking to me and telling me everything she was doing and why she was doing it. So, the biggest issue here is not that she cannot jump her axel, the problem is in her mind. We now know the harness is a security blanket for her, so that will be going bye-bye. It is so strange because up until she skated at this level, dd did not have a problem with fear. Dd's coach and I have spoken about this and we've(with dd's imput and ideas too) have come up with a plan. Dd's coach has some sport psychology books she will lend to dd, but another skater currently has them.  So, I thought I would ask for some ideas here. Has anyone read any good books? Keep in mind, my daughter is 12. She reads very well... so the level of reading isn't much of a concern...it's more what might hold interest her that concerns me. Thanks!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Do any of you know of any good sport psychology books?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
I don't know about the sports psychology route in this case, but I'd wait for the coaches' books.  We're talking about less than a week without the jump, give her time to get it back before you consider her a head case.  I know she's saying that she's afraid to fall, but I think that's just to get you off her back.  She's probably more frustrated than afraid and it's okay to acknowledge that frustration.  Working through it is a valuable life lesson.

It's totally normal to start landing an axel or double, then "lose it" for a few weeks or months.  Happens to most skaters, especially if there's a growth spurt involved.  The jump will come back if the skater keeps working on proper technique and doesn't tense up. 

I agree about not using the harness during this time since it can become a crutch, and later an obstacle, for certain jumps.  The coach isn't a puppeteer, preventing falls, they just help prevent the falls from being as severe.

The reason skaters can land a jump on the harness unassisted, but not off-harness, is often that they correct their posture when the vest/straps are on their body.  They know that the pulley rope goes upward, so they straighten their spine automatically and take a deep breath/hold it.

I would suggest limiting the axel practices to a few attempts, off-harness.  Have her focus on on walk throughs and completely proper technique when she's not on lesson. 

Similar situation: skater with a double salchow - had it briefly, lost it, tried for months to get it back to no avail. (In the harness, it was a thing of beauty, lol.)  In that case, growth was definitely a factor, so strength training was increased and they changed jump coaches.  The skater landed the double sal about a month ago and within two weeks had landed two other doubles.  Sometimes, you just have to shake things up.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline isakswings

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
I should have clarified... this has been going on since August. I completely understand losing jumps is normal.  Growth is part of the issue here too. She's gained nearly 20 pounds and has grown 3+ inches in a year. Most of the growth was over a 6 month period. She first landed her axel a yr ago. She's landed a double sal a couple of times, but nothing consistant.

What you said about the belt and the jumps makes sense. The thing that changes off belt is her entry not her posture, if that makes sense. Oh and we are in the process of trying to get some lesson time with a local jump coach. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
I carry two of them: "The Inner Champion" and "Mind Body Conditioning For Competitive Figure Skaters".  Both are helpful and beneficial for skaters.  I have some skaters who prefer one, and some who prefer the other, so I can't tell you which is best!  Here is the link: www.sk8strong.com/mentaltrainingcatalog.html
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
Given that you mentioned that her posture changed when she's in the harness, is it possible to wear the harness jacket while not being clipped in the harness? Perhaps having the jacket on is a way to remind her about her posture. It's a sort of intermediate step between being in the harness and not.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
I carry two of them: "The Inner Champion" and "Mind Body Conditioning For Competitive Figure Skaters".  Both are helpful and beneficial for skaters.  I have some skaters who prefer one, and some who prefer the other, so I can't tell you which is best!  Here is the link: www.sk8strong.com/mentaltrainingcatalog.html

Thanks! I will wait and see what books her coach has. Do you know of any online articles? My daughter loves google and loves researching things, so I think she would enjoy reading stuff online too. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »
Given that you mentioned that her posture changed when she's in the harness, is it possible to wear the harness jacket while not being clipped in the harness? Perhaps having the jacket on is a way to remind her about her posture. It's a sort of intermediate step between being in the harness and not.

Thanks! Her posture is ok off harness(most of the time), it's her entry that changes. :)

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:11:27 PM »
I am currently in the middle of reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" as well as "The Tao of Pooh" and "The Te of Piglet." All 3 were recommended by my personal trainer because I have an issue talking myself out of things and doubting what I can actually do as well as overthinking everything and not just doing it.

I hope that helps!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
Thanks! You sound like my girlie. :) She really is a great kid and so capable of many things(in skating and beyond. :) )

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
Of course this may just be shameless self-promotion  ;), but I'd recommend my book:

http://www.healthylearning.com/p-4560-mind-body-conditioning-for-competitive-figure-skaters-w-dvd.aspx

It may even be available in your public library.

What people have told me about the approach taken in my book that differs from other sport psychology books is the emphasis on tools and application. It's not just a bunch of theory and ideas presented willy-nilly. Instead, it's a very strategic, integrated, periodized approach that combines training your mind AS you're training your body, instead of engaging in separate "sport psychology" exercises.

You can read preview chapters on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mind-body+conditioning+for+competitive+figure+skaters

And of course, if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.  :)
Linda

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:25:26 PM »
Of course this may just be shameless self-promotion  ;), but I'd recommend my book:

http://www.healthylearning.com/p-4560-mind-body-conditioning-for-competitive-figure-skaters-w-dvd.aspx

It may even be available in your public library.

What people have told me about the approach taken in my book that differs from other sport psychology books is the emphasis on tools and application. It's not just a bunch of theory and ideas presented willy-nilly. Instead, it's a very strategic, integrated, periodized approach that combines training your mind AS you're training your body, instead of engaging in separate "sport psychology" exercises.

You can read preview chapters on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mind-body+conditioning+for+competitive+figure+skaters

And of course, if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.  :)
Linda

Hi, Linda!  I have your book, and I would definitely recommend it for the O.P. and her daughter. :)

Isakswings - In addition, it might be useful to have her do some guided imagery exercises to work on building her confidence through her subconscious mind, not just her conscious mind.  I was having issues with my axel (and just skating a clean program in general) and I found that even though I was telling myself all the right things, the problem was that I didn't believe them.  My subconscious mind was going, yeah, right, you know you don't believe that!  I found some guided imagery recordings for skaters online and downloaded them, and I have to say they have been working!

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »
Body Mind Mastery really, really helped me at my first Adult Nationals.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Mind-Mastery-Training-Sport/dp/1577310942

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »
Oh yes the getting and losing jumps seems to be pretty common...my dd just grew again, and she is struggling a bit with her double lutz...she first landed it almost a year ago, and still...gah