You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jersey On Ice (TLC 12/12/12)  (Read 10049 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Jersey On Ice (TLC 12/12/12)
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »
TLC is showing a special called "Jersey on Ice."  (12/12/12 10pm; encore next day)

The stars are a trio of former skaters that are now successful coaches and businesswomen.  They're blunt and to the point, like most people in the NY/NJ area, which can be either good or bad, depending on the viewer.

I'm sure there are some outrageous scenes but the ladies are always very funny and they have good hearts. (Full disclosure: I knew them when they were skaters and keep in touch a little via Facebook today.)   In any event, it should be very entertaining.  I hope it's successful and helps bring something positive to figure skating, rather than being a rehash of "Dance Moms." 

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Jersey On Ice (TLC 12/12/12)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
I'm sure they're really lovely people but scenes from the trailer, brief as they were, were sort of obnoxious. No coach acts like that on the ice - at least at my two rinks in Westchester County (not that far from where this was filmed) they don't. They don't scream, yell, insult, etc. - and that was only 30 seconds worth.  I know they were probably told to amp it up for "entertainment" value. Freedom of choice is good - I will not be tuning in. I would love some more TV that really represents skating as it really is but honestly, that would probably be boring to people other than us.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
I've seen that behavior, and I've heard that it used to be commonplace & worse.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Interesting comments on FSU that these coaches are not USFSA sanctioned (so how successful can they really be?) and the communication went out to skaters/rinks from the USFSA that any skater participating would lose eligibility - no decent young competitor would do that. So these are not serious coaches or serious skaters.  So what's all this in the trailer about going for the "G" (gold) - if you're not eligible to compete in sanctioned events, there's not much "G" to compete for.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
In one of the articles a coach talks about gold but references local rink comps - I'm guessing ISI?

Ah - here:
Those who view the Jersey On Ice pilot will see the skaters participating in and preparing for an ISI, Ice Skating Institute, competition. ISI's recreational competitive figure skaters are just as serious about their skating as hard core competitive US Figure Skating high level skaters. Some of the skaters Sroka, Astorga, and Barbieri teach are training towards competing in US Figure Skating regional competitions.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
Well, if it helps ISI survive by bringing in new skaters I can put up with a lot. USFSA /shrug/ it's okay for competitive skaters, but it doesn't really meet the needs of the recreational skater. But right now I think ISI is on its last legs. 5 years ago half the rinks around where I live were ISI, now none of them are. I have to drive 3 hours to get to the nearest ISI rink. The only reason I switched to USFSA was because I had no choice. No more ISI coaches around.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
In one of the articles a coach talks about gold but references local rink comps - I'm guessing ISI?

Ah - here:
Those who view the Jersey On Ice pilot will see the skaters participating in and preparing for an ISI, Ice Skating Institute, competition. ISI's recreational competitive figure skaters are just as serious about their skating as hard core competitive US Figure Skating high level skaters. Some of the skaters Sroka, Astorga, and Barbieri teach are training towards competing in US Figure Skating regional competitions.

Mod note: When posting text from elsewhere, please credit the original source instead of just using their writings.  A link to the full source is even better, so others can read the full piece.  The above is from About.com, I believe?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
Ha! I'm watching this with my (former) skating kids.   I think it's funny. a few of the on ice bits are decent.  I can do without the fake moms vs coaches but that's TLC.
I totally would have kicked at least six kids off the ice by now though, hoodies, getting in the way, not getting up quick. 

Bonus points for a coach wearing the mandatory Burberry scarf.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
There are still a number of rinks using ISI, although as Agnes says, their numbers are dwindling.  In NY/NJ/CT, ISI is not dead yet, it's actually quite active.

<...the communication went out to skaters/rinks from the USFSA that any skater participating would lose eligibility <snip>
The USFSA is very staid and traditional; they don't want to be involved with anything controversial, like this broadcast.  I never saw a communication like that - did you receive it via email or was it directed at their particular club members?

So what's all this in the trailer about going for the "G" (gold) - if you're not eligible to compete in sanctioned events, there's not much "G" to compete for.
ISI events are sanctioned and the USFSA/ISI/PSA have cooperative agreements to protect eligibility.  That's not the same thing as being unsanctioned. 

In ISI, the skaters are encourage to enter multiple events at the same competition and compete as a team with good sportsmanship.  I haven't seen the show as yet, but there is usually a "Team Trophy" at ISI competitions.  It is awarded to the participating club/rink team that has the highest quality points average.  (Placement points / number of skaters)  That's most likely where the challenge phrase "Go for the Gold" came from because this particular team has a high ratio on a regular basis.  Their team is small, but they compete in multiple events and place well, garnering high averages.

how successful can they really be?
Define success.  They have student-skaters who work hard, progress well, have fun, and do well in competition against their peers.  There are plenty of Basic Skills coaches who do the same thing.   They're earning a living, providing a safe, fun learning environment for their students.  That sounds like success to me, moreso than having two skaters place at regionals, especially in the non-qual events, while the rest stayed home and felt left out.

Most ISI skaters stay in the sport longer than USFSA skaters because of the pressure to become what the USFSA calls a "competitive skater."  That's not the track for everyone.

I'm biased because I was an ISI skater and I belonged the skating club that they represent, which, btw, is both ISI and USFSA.  They welcomed me when I was one of the young adult skaters, whom the USFSA definitely did not value back then.  My friends and I had a lot of fun with that club, going to the Lake Placid competition and cheering for each other at the ISI Competition of the Month in NY/NJ.  These ladies stayed to watch us skate and cheer for their overgrown teammates.  That's a good thing, in my mind, so the very first competition my own DDs did was the Monclair Inside Edge ISI competition.  It was a perfect introduction to skating competitions for my kids.

I'm going to watch the show now.  I really hope it's not too much like Dance Moms.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:18 PM »
I really enjoyed that they showed older girls skating and enjoying it.

I don't want to see this as a series, especially on TLC.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
ISI events are sanctioned and the USFSA/ISI/PSA have cooperative agreements to protect eligibility.  That's not the same thing as being unsanctioned. 

What I was trying to say, badly, is that USFSA was clear that skaters who participated in this TV show permanently gave up USFSA eligibility. It was stated before the fact, not after - that may not be a real sacrifice to most of these kids but it might be to some.

I'm glad that your ISI experience was such a great one.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »
What I was trying to say, badly, is that USFSA was clear that skaters who participated in this TV show permanently gave up USFSA eligibility. It was stated before the fact, not after - that may not be a real sacrifice to most of these kids but it might be to some.
I must have missed that punishment announcement.  When was this published and where?

This was the only relevant statement that I remember reading and it didn't come from the USFSA itself, but from the WFSC: 
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150376609151438

That was in response to a different production company trying to recruit skaters directly for a reality series called "Kids on Ice."  This is a little different since it focuses on the coaches and I'd say the kids were not compensated for their appearance.

The WFSC did state that the USFSA requires skaters involved in to apply for sanction before the appearance, but that's the norm.  All the skaters on the documentary series, "Ice Diaries," also had to secure USFSA sanctions in advance, as did all of the skaters in "Ice Princess."  It's also required for performances and exhibitions, including charity events.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/SANCTIONSPRIMER.pdf

There's nothing in there about permanent sanctions.  I think it's a one-season ineligibility for Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals, not a ban from all USFSA activities.  So these rec kids, who weren't planning to enter those events anyway, can't enter regionals - no great loss.  Unless you have a different source, I don't see any grounds for the claim that these kids are permanently banned.

Back on topic - it wasn't as much of a train wreck as I expected.  *cough*dancemoms*cough*  Once you ignored the frequent infighting and staged drama, it was interesting to see obviously recreational skaters on screen.  Too often, this sport is portrayed as only being for the "serious skaters."  These kids were serious about their skating and worked hard. 

I don't think it was the best week to be a student in the rink, given the pressure, distractions and TMI, but at least they didn't have a skating show for LTS groups where the oldest participant was awarded a "Pass" test six rungs up the ladder, with no prerequisites or requirements, lol.  I like science fiction and fantasy, but unfortunately, many movies about figure skating seem to require a suspension of disbelief.  This was an more like a documentary.  (BTW, the Lake Placid competition is open to any ISI skater and I don't ever recall there being an audition or cut list.  It's really the more, the merrier.)

I did notice that the skaters were in the new ISI groupings of Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum instead of the old ones of FS1, FS2...FS10.  Those events have become very popular since they allow USFSA skaters to use their programs for both types of competition.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
Bonus points for a coach wearing the mandatory Burberry scarf.

I always make sure to wear mine when I judge the Basic Skills competitions.  Makes me feel like I'm in the right uniform :)

Is this show a series, or was it a special?

I think it gives ISI a bad name.  The kids I see getting ready for ISI are very serious about their competitions but they are friendly, supportive and they have a ton of fun.  Team Trophy is a big deal for the group at our rink (our rink itself is not ISI, the coach pays the rink fee to keep them registered) so it is all about doing what is best for the team- even most of the parents have skates so they can learn a routine to gain points in family events. The ISI competitions I went to were the same way- no one openly displayed a winner take all attitude (someone from a rival synchro team even lent a skater a pair of skates when hers were lost on their flights).  This yelling and screaming is just not normal and it may attract people to trash TV but it won't attract them to the sport.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
how successful can they really be?

Our rink used to be an ISI rink (more than 15 years ago now - yikes!) and we still have a couple of ISI only coaches (everyone is registered as USFSA basic skills instructors, but some do not coach USFSA test levels, their private students are ISI skaters).  As for how successful they are - how do you define success?  Is it by how successful their students are, or how popular these coaches are, or how well they manage to make a steady income from coaching, or something else?  I think there are multiple ways to look at it and just because a coach doesn't coach USFSA skaters it doesn't in any way make them "not successful".

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
I have no idea about the differences with ISI and USFS, being Canadian and all, but I have been around he skating world a LONG time and recognize the type of coach profiled in this show.  And while it does lend itself to "entertaining" tv I think it will give people the impression that skating is petty and at times cruel. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
I wanted to say that I hope it doesn't seem like my previous post was defending these ladies - the ISI coaches at my rink are really great, and not at all like what was shown on TV.

It also seems that those affiliated with PSA aren't particularly thrilled with the attention figure skating got on TV last night..

Gerry Lane, past president of the Professional Skaters Association, regarding a recent reality show about a New Jersey ice rink on TLC:

To all my friends who watched the Jersey Ice program on TV last night
This is clearly not reality at all. I have never been in a rink that is this dysfunctional. These people are being "paid" to act badly for higher ratings. Unfortunately this episode reflects badly on all coaches. There are thousands of PSA/USFS/ISI skating coaches who conduct themselves every day with the highest respect and dignity to their athletes, parents and fellow coaches. While these coaches are not PSA members they would be subject to the ISI Coaching Code of Ethics and their grievance procedure which is administered jointly by the ISI and PSA for this type of behavior.
I also feel badly for my friends from New Jersey who once again are type cast by unimaginative and incompetent TV producers, writers and directors. One would think that everyone from New Jersey is crass, crude, unintellegent and morally void. Enough already with New Jersey! TLC is supposed to stand for The Learning Channel? What is one to learn from this type of programming? You should be ashamed of your evening programming.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
The ISI posted this on Facebook:

On Dec. 12 TLC aired the pilot episode of "Jersey on Ice," a show that included footage of supposed preparation for and participation in a local ISI competition. The Ice Skating Institute did not encourage, endorse or approve this content and has no association with this reality show. The poor behavior, abusive coaching and "winning is the only thing" attitude exhibited in the show is not an accurate reflection of ISI's positive, rewarding instructional methods and inclusive, non-qualifying competition philosophy. We abhor the scandalous theme of the show and are disappointed in the negative portrayal of figure skating exhibited by the producers and participants.

While I agree that their on-screen behavior was "scandalous," I have to say that the two sisters are nice in real life.  Then again, I don't have to share the ice with them.  I don't know what they hoped to achieve by acting like that on camera.  *shrugs*  I still think that the idea of showing the training experiences that all skaters go through at the lower levels is a great idea, especially for recreational skaters.  Too bad it won't get the ratings without drama and conflict. 

A YouTube series of videos chronicling a year of training would make a good project for a film studies student.  They could follow skaters and show their off-ice, commuting, practices and shows/competitions.  Maybe a mix of skaters - boys, girls, adults, coaches, etc.  (My New Year's Resolution is to look for good in everything, sorry for being  Pollyanna about this.)

Interestingly enough, I received an email today from someone at the college on whose campus the show's ice rink is located.  Unrelated email, but we had some chit-chat about the show.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
It's obvious the coaches and skaters watched dance, gymnastics and/or cheer leading "reality "shows which are also more than a bit exaggerated, got together and cooperatively decided to do the same thing for skating, entirely in the spirit of fun. In exactly the same spirit as all the fabulously funny figure skating movies, in which even more outrageous behavior is sometimes shown.

I bet the kids walked away having enjoyed all the  make believe. They would probably love to hear that some adults took it more seriously, and thought it was real.

Think of it as another form of ice theater. Maybe it qualified as a rink-run "show".

Or maybe they were also paid a few bucks to appear in the show - which should b e OK for ISI-only skaters.

P.S. It would be a shame, but not surprising, if USFSA policies made it impossible for the rink's USFSA skaters to participate in the fun.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
From the current Director of the PSA on their FB page:

"In response to the reality TV show “Jersey on Ice”, the Professional Skaters Association acknowledges the show has reflected poorly on the sport of competitive figure skating, and the coaching community. Having viewed the production of “Jersey on Ice,” the show sensationalizes and dramatizes the relationship between instructor, parent, and skater. It is not consistent with the traits that members of the PSA espouse or represent.

The Professional Skaters Association reminds members that it is their responsibility to act in a manner fitting a PSA member, including exercising the greatest care, professionalism and ethical behavior. Only through their professionalism and diligence will the coaching profession and figure skating be viewed positively."

Clearly many people, including ISI and PSA as organizations, who know skating and coaching didn't think there was much in "the spirit of fun" to be found in this show. Their positions are public and their words very direct; I don't recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that any figure skating org. had any stated objections to movies like "Blades of Glory" (loved it! I love goofy movies) so something is quite different here. I had a lesson this morning - my coach (a lady if there ever was one) thought the coaches were "embarrassing."

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
I do hope PSA officials decide it wasn't serious, and doesn't sanction any coaches for improper conduct.

Evidence for "for fun":

This was an in-rink competition, but could coaches who behaved like that could compete outside their own rink without getting kicked out, as it was implied they did?

Would a family restaurant have allowed adults to make such a fuss without getting kicked out?

And wow, what a lot of expensive unused empty space behind the restaurant counter that the camera crew could conveniently use!

The New Jerseyites I know behave pretty normally.

But we all see things as we do.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:54 AM »
Their positions are public and their words very direct; I don't recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that any figure skating org. had any stated objections to movies like "Blades of Glory" (loved it! I love goofy movies) so something is quite different here.

I can probably tell you what it is right away - Blades of Glory was promoted as a spoof. It was obvious fiction. This show is being touted as "reality" and it's definitely not giving the sport a good look.

Angela Wang made her opinion clear on Twitter (so we now have a top-level skater's point of view):
Okay, Jersey on Ice is officially the most ridiculous show EVER.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
Was this show cancelled? I know the pilot aired but I haven't seen anything about it since.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
I just now heard about it.  If you want to see it, you have to pay $2.00 on Youtube.   :-\  Really?  I wish I had seen it when it was "free" with my way-too-expensive cable service.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/