You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When did you upgrade your skates?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
When did you upgrade your skates?
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Like many beginners, my skates are the Riedell TS 133.  When I purchased them, I was told that I'd probably progress beyond them in skill level before I actually wore them out.  (I'm a heavier skater, so I probably will be upgrading them a little sooner than someone of a smaller build.)  Since it's such a common skate, I'm curious as to when others decided to move up (especially if I need to start saving now!)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: When did you upgrade your skates?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Only had a tiny in the 133s.  We moved up when our coach told us to.  Basically, we needed a better blade in terms of quality and pick.  The stock blade wasn't sufficient. 

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »
Now. I have to wait another week so they could punch out the knuckle parts.   :nvm:

I bought Jackson Freestyles when we got to Delta in Learn to Skate.

Jackson Freestyles were killing my feet now, though. I thought up 3 possible scenarios for this: 1) broken down 2) wonky blade profile or 3) wasn't made for my weird feet in the first place. I upgraded to SP Teri ProTeris and MK Professional Blades. I guess you could say I'm doing Freestyle 4-ish for ISI.  :sweat

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
A little over a year in.  My heels were slipping in my low level Jacksons, so I needed a new pair. One of the LTS coaches recommended the Competitors.  I'm now on my second pair. My next ones will be semi-custom with a split last so my wider forefoot will fit with the narrow heel (A heel/C forefoot)
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:10:07 AM »
I moved from the 133 to Jackson Freestyles after a year. By that time I was in ISI Delta level.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
I also upgraded in ISI delta, specifically because bunny hop needed a better blade than my recreational skates' tiny picks. Got used Jackson Classique for about a year and half, then went with used Jackson Competitor.

I remember creating a topic on what skates did we have and for how long, can't seem to find it right now...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
Started in Jackson Classiques. Went to Competitors to be able to move the blade. Wasn't happy. Went to Harlicks-REALLY.WASN'T.HAPPY. Went back to Competitors (the original pair). Went to Jackson dance boots. They stretched out too fast. Went to the ORIGINAL pair of Competitors.

Yeah, call me adventurous.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Started in Jackson Freestyles with stock Ultima Mirage blade. Bought a new pair because original pair was way too big. I'm still wearing the second pair. I'm surprised they seem to be in such good condition still, given the lifespan for boots I've seen reported on this forum. I've worn them for about 15 months of skating. I skate around 6 hours a week, jump through lutz and am not light for my size. I don't know if I will out pace them before they break down.

I'm more interested in upgrading blade than boot, and may do that before the life of either really calls for it.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
I'm surprised they seem to be in such good condition still, given the lifespan for boots I've seen reported on this forum. I've worn them for about 15 months of skating.

I have friends say that their boots last eight, ten years with regular skating. I suppose with a rebuild in there, but still.

my Jackson competitors came used (or abused), I still got a good two years out of them, and probably will do a rebuild. I am hard on the boots.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
I've got 7 years in my skates and no rebuild.  They're Riedell Bronze Stars (320s).  I must not be hard on boots.  Blades have been replaced, MK Pros.  Bronze Stars were discontinued so not sure what I will buy when I eventually replace mine.  The 435s seem like they would be too stiff (I think they're equivalent to the old Silver Stars) but the next model down seem like they wouldn't last (910s or something like that).  I think the 435s are still made in the U.S. unlike the 910s which appeals to me as well.  I might not have the numbers quite right, going by memory.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
I had my old SP Teris for 15 years. No rebuilds.

I've been in my current SP Teri for 8 years. No signs of breakdown.

I don't jump anymore though.

I have NO IDEA how long I would last in another type of boot...