You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tights and cellulite?  (Read 20360 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Tights and cellulite?
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
I did a search and no one seems to have brought this up so I'll go out on a limb here...

I typically skate in regular fashion tights under a pair of Danskin supplex leggings and I sometimes wear Skating Safe Ultra Crash knee and hip pads.  However, I WANT to buy skating tights and a practice dress/skirt and know I'll have to wear tights and dress for any testing. 

I was wondering, for those of you with a bit of cellulite on your booties or legs, which tights (brand/thickness/combination) do you think give the smoothest appearance?   I don't have too much to smooth out but I'd feel uncomfortable with only 1 layer of tights.  I definitely do not want to go with shiny/shimmery tights (as I've seen offered by Mondor). 

So, ladies with similar issues, what's your favorite solution?
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
Re: Tights and cellulite?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
Do Not go with the shimmery tights. Good call there.

I think black hides everything well so you could go with black if you are concerned. But for the most part the tights are, well for lack of a better word, tight so they do hold most jiggly bits in nicely.

I would say go for the thinner Tights, as opposed to the thicker warmer ones.  I don't like the look of the warmer ones and think they make even the tiniest of people look huge.

As for brands I usually seem to get Mondor.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Definitely wear two pairs!  You may find that dance or skating tights are more supportive than fashion tights.

That said, you don't have to wear skating tights.  I prefer microfiber (very soft, matte finish) dance tights to skating tights... skating tights tend to be too dark for my skin tone and too expensive compared to their average lifespan.  I'd rather pay half as much for slightly thinner tights that typically hold out just as long (sometimes longer).

I also prefer body tights to regular tights, but that's because I hate the "stuffed sausage" look of elastic digging into my waist... thinner folks usually don't have that issue :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »
I've started wearing one pair of over the boot 'sweater' type tights- just because we had to buy them for synchro.

Before that I would wear a pair of thinner, smooth over the boot tights over a pair of body tights from dance.  In high school dance we wore two pairs of regular tights- but I do NOT need two waist bands. The body tights mean you get less digging into the waist.  Since I wear OTB tights, I still have to deal with a waist band.

However, I've found that both dance and skating tights are such that you don't see the cellulite. They aren't like wearing pantyhose. 
Even when I used to be in a ballet class with kids and was required to wear a single pair of PINK tights it didn't show (though you could see the moles on my legs...).  Let me tell you- that was torture though. Pink tights are not made for adult bodies.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »
All these tights with skirts  sound so inconvenient!!!  I drink a fair amount of water during practice, so bathroom issues would dissuade me from wearing any body tights!   Even during tests or exhibitions that I have done, I manage to need to go to the bathroom and have to peel off all those layers in a cold bathroom.  :sweat
Plus, sometimes I put in (or take out) a tailbone pad during the practice time, so the ability to do that rinkside is really worth it to me!

I like to practice in compression tights (a lot of runners and skiers wear those).  On top of those I wear Chloe Noel over the boot leggings.   Compression tights give me a great feeling of security.  They are also great for any thigh jiggle:-)   
Chloe Noel, while expensive, are the best ones I have worn!  I always wash mine in a washing machine and dry them in the dryer (even though the manufacturer says to hand wash them--- ridiculous for sports wear!!).  But again, I personally do not like skirts for practice.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
All these tights with skirts  sound so inconvenient!!!  I drink a fair amount of water during practice, so bathroom issues would dissuade me from wearing any body tights!   Even during tests or exhibitions that I have done, I manage to need to go to the bathroom and have to peel off all those layers in a cold bathroom.  :sweat

Oh, for practice I just wear a pair of skating pants over my normal underwear...  no tights at all.
I wouldn't wear body tights with pants because there is no waistline to hide. I wear them with a dress otherwise I get a ring around the middle...
I like the Ny2sportswear pants because they have the Chloe Noel look, but are less expensive. The style I get (dual color waistband) is even cheaper than the under armour frostytights I used to wear.  I wash them in the washer, but hang dry.  Have to hang dry all of my husband's cycling clothes, so it all goes in the same load.  It is the spandex that makes it not dryable- the heat wears it down and shortens the lifespan.  Common for almost all athletic clothes.

As for bathroom break, when wearing a skating dress you already have to take the dress off, so taking body tights off is no different.  You're still sitting topless (or bra'd) on the toilet...

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
You no longer have to wear dresses or skirts for testing.  Women are now allowed to wear pants - about time too!
My glass is half full :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
I know you said testing, but I wanted to add that dance competition still requires a skirt.  
USFS rulebook:
Ladies must wear a skirt. The skirt must go around her entire waist;
however, there may be slits in the skirt on one or both sides up to the waist.
The ladies dress must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate
for an athletic sport. The majority of the upper body must be covered.

I am unclear how this effects testing, as the test book does not cover clothing.

Edit- I take that back.  Never seen this before:
Not withstanding the above, ladies competing in any adult competition may
wear trousers if they so choose.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
The majority of the upper body must be covered.

Good to know that the bottom doesn't count  :blush:

USFSA (or it may have even been ISU) created a "no pants" rule for ladies back in the 80's thanks to Debi Thomas (they were unhappy with her choice of outfit at the olympics in '88)... they required skirts for ladies for a while after.  I'm not sure exactly when it was changed.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
USFSA (or it may have even been ISU) created a "no pants" rule for ladies back in the 80's thanks to Debi Thomas (they were unhappy with her choice of outfit at the olympics in '88)... they required skirts for ladies for a while after.  I'm not sure exactly when it was changed.

It was ISU, and IIRC it changed back to permitting trousers for ladies skating singles and pairs sometime in the 90s.  Once it changed back, Slutskaya wore some spectacular unitards for competition - I really liked her '02 Olympics one.

Now can someone tell me why the ISU still hasn't changed the rule to allow female dancers to wear trousers yet?  It's not like dancers don't pass through some inelegant positions on the way to grace...

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
I guess you could say that Nathalie Pechalat's mummy costume at 2012 Worlds has a skirt, but it was really only parts of one. 
My glass is half full :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
Great comments!  I wouldn't mind wearing a skating skirt (not a dress) with tights for practice sometimes to get used to being in a skirt AND making it easy to use the restroom and add/remove crash pads.  For testing, I do think I'd want to wear a dress because it will make me feel legit in some way.  Having said all of that, I have NOT bought or tried on tights and skirt so my opinion may change once I see myself.  If I feel like I look lumpy or jiggly, I'm wearing pants!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
I guess you could say that Nathalie Pechalat's mummy costume at 2012 Worlds has a skirt, but it was really only parts of one. 

Same with Alena Leonova's SP outfit - she's a pirate, and her "skirt" is her shirt tail!:)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
Same with Alena Leonova's SP outfit - she's a pirate, and her "skirt" is her shirt tail!:)

Singles doesn't require a skirt (see Kostner)- so Leonova's outfit didn't need to have one, I don't think her shirt was supposed to be a skirt at all.

Pechalat on the other hand consulted with officials to determine that the wrap at her waist was sufficient to be called a skirt (it is open like a skirt, and wraps around her waist completely).

IIRC- the Kerr's had to get special permission to allow John to skate in a kilt, that was not over trousers.  Men are required to wear trousers.  A few other (I think in the mummy program actually, at least at World's) men have worn skirt-ish things over their pants.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »
 I wouldn't mind wearing a skating skirt (not a dress) with tights for practice sometimes to get used to being in a skirt AND making it easy to use the restroom and add/remove crash pads.

For testing, I do think I'd want to wear a dress because it will make me feel legit in some way.  Having said all of that, I have NOT bought or tried on tights and skirt so my opinion may change once I see myself.

For practice, many times I wear a warm top, and a skating skirt with tights for the reasons stated above.

And Yes ! , wearing a skating dress for testing or competition does give my confidence a boost, and makes me fell legit, even though I, as an adult skater, do not have the same legs as do the teens and young women. So what if I do not have the legs of a runway model, I still feel great when I skate in a skating dress ! I wear nude SUPPORT/COMPRESSION sheer-to-the-waist pantyhose ( not ordinary pantyhose ) , then regular skating tights over that. I used to like to wear Danskins, but had to switch to Mondor when Danskins became unavailable. Silkies pantyhose are the best, IMO. The support pantyhose holds the " jiggle " without a lot of bulk, and the regular tights makes for a very even color and look. That's what works for me.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
I've got cellulite and for competition I wear Mondors, thin light-coloured ones, and honestly, it doesn't show.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
The Mondor Evolution series has a lighter Suntan shade than the other models, such as the 3310s. It's also 70 denier, and has good coverage. A bit more expensive though, but for the color and the Fastex buckles, I think it's worth the price.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
I wear nude SUPPORT/COMPRESSION sheer-to-the-waist pantyhose ( not ordinary pantyhose ) , then regular skating tights over that. I used to like to wear Danskins, but had to switch to Mondor when Danskins became unavailable. Silkies pantyhose are the best, IMO. The support pantyhose holds the " jiggle " without a lot of bulk, and the regular tights makes for a very even color and look. That's what works for me.

I was thinking that a pantyhose/tights combo might be worth a try.  Thanks for the brand recommendations, too.  I really do want to wear a skirt to practice sometimes.

I've got cellulite and for competition I wear Mondors, thin light-coloured ones, and honestly, it doesn't show.

Good to know!

The Mondor Evolution series has a lighter Suntan shade than the other models, such as the 3310s. It's also 70 denier, and has good coverage. A bit more expensive though, but for the color and the Fastex buckles, I think it's worth the price.

Those are over the boot?  I guess I'll consider those for testing?

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »
The Evolution series has footed, footless, and over-the-boot variations. I think the numbers are 3337, 3338, 3339.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
I've been looking at figure skater photos and I like the look of foot tights, with the whole boot showing, the best.  If one chooses to go that route, can you only wear one layer of tights?  Or, can you do pantyhose under the Evolution footed tights.  I'd think bunching might be a potential issue in the foot area. 

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
You can do footless Evolution over pantyhose, but tuck the Mondor tights under the boots, not over, as is common practice for footless tights. that way, you won't have bunching in the toe area, but the whole boot will show.

EDIT: I just checked my 3310 and 3338: the Evolution is not really lighter, but it has a different shade of suntan. I would say that the 3310 is more yellowish-brown, while the Evolution is more reddish brown.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »
You can do footless Evolution over pantyhose, but tuck the Mondor tights under the boots, not over, as is common practice for footless tights. that way, you won't have bunching in the toe area, but the whole boot will show.

OH!  Brilliant.  Wasn't sure how much fabric there'd be and was thinking it'd be too much to tuck.  Thanks, sampaguita! 

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
No prob, slcbelle! If you also want to go by one layer of tights, a pair of footed tights is fine if your rink is not too cold.  ;)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
For shows and competitions, I wear two pairs of tights. Typically one pair of footless and one pair of over-the-boot. I am going to start wearing two pair of over-the-boots in the future because if you get a run in the boot of one, it won't show since you are wearing another pair. Unless the odds are against you and you get runs in the exact same spot  :o

For practice, I wear a pair of under armour compression tights, in flesh color (desert sand). They hold everything in and being beige, work with my tights well.  I cut the waistband off everything so I don't get squeezed.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »
For shows and competitions, I wear two pairs of tights. Typically one pair of footless and one pair of over-the-boot. I am going to start wearing two pair of over-the-boots in the future because if you get a run in the boot of one, it won't show since you are wearing another pair.

Are you skating barefoot, then?