You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: If you could skate to anything, what would it be? - fsf, davincisoprano1, 8-2010  (Read 2040 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
davincisoprano1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: If you could skate to anything, what would it be?
Posted: 08-14-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but sometimes people's ideas change lol.

For me, I'd kill to skate to Nostalgia by Yanni. It's the first song by Yanni my dad ever had me listen to (this led to going to four Yanni shows over the last few years with him AND finding out that one of the ladies that used to tour with him teaches at my uni, and meeting her!) and I've been in love with it for years. It's my ideal competition song, and I've even cut it down and have it ready for a long program! I'm just waiting for the opportune moment...

I'd also like to do an exhibition to something by Seether, just to see if it was possible, haha. I like being a little hardcore sometimes. (I'm known for wearing black every day, usually a black tank or shirt of some kind... my friends caught on quickly lol)

What about you all?  

Sessy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 08-14-2010, 07:28 PM

ATM I could go with a show programme to Masochism Tango tbh, I've got ideas for that... Although the Headless Waltz could also be fun for a show programme... (say paper mache head? ) No conventional, lyricless really-wanna-skate-to musics atm though. When I just started skating I wanted to do something to some heavy metal but truth is that's hard music to skate to. And, there was Apocalyptica past season at competitions in men's, so certainly metal isn't taboo anymore (although heavy metal probably still is, lol) so the fun is out of that anyway, but if I did - again, it'd have to be a show programme cuz of lyrics - I'd probably go with something by Manowar. There's also Rev:22.20 by Puscifier but y'know, angrying Christian judges is probably not the best way to say, not place last...)

Non-lyrics, I'm still a big fan of the matrix soundtrack and some of apocalyptica's work. But I don't have the skills required to skate to that and look good.  

AgnesNitt

Posted: 08-14-2010, 07:49 PM

Masochism Tango! Me too! (See here) I already have the whip (left over from my foxhunting days). I was thinking of a costume consisting of, my black leather fur lined jacket, a black cloche with veil, and a red satin dress cut so that you can see the garters and classic black stockings. Of course you could only do that at an adult venue like nationals. On a 60 year old woman, it could only go in the 'Entertainment' event as comedy.  

ChristyRN

Posted: 08-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Star Wars General Grevous theme. Very fast paced tempo that I'll NEVER be able to do at my advanced age.  

teresa

Posted: 08-14-2010, 11:10 PM

I've thought about this. =-) I'm not sure because I'm pretty positive my likes are "bigger" than what I could skate to. Something from the Beatles, like "Yesterday", or some other soft rock that's been redone in music only. I do know that it would need to be something I like enough to have a program for.

teresa  

RachelSk8er

Posted: 08-15-2010, 12:04 AM

String quartet playing 80s Madonna....oh wait...I already skate to that

There are some classical pieces I love but they either don't suit my skating style, or they are painfully overused in skating so I won't ever skate to them. I also have a few pieces I can't get a cut I like at my current program length, so I'm saving them for when I move up to gold and (maybe eventually) intermediate/novice.  

Sessy

Posted: 08-15-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnesNitt  
Masochism Tango! Me too! (See here) I already have the whip (left over from my foxhunting days).

Oh, awesome.
I've got this running gag with a dude who introduced me to the masochism tango and the wonderous world of tom lehrer songs, where I keep threatening to burn my initials in his shoulder... Then we did like 1 thing together which was to go to a museum at a national heritage site and they had a whole display of the kind of burning marks farmers use for cattle, imagine that? He's a dancer, he liked it for the Gomez&Morticia factor.  

davincisoprano1

Posted: 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM

I think once I get money and can work with the coach that I've been talking with (she knows I'm in college and that I have to pay for lessons myself... so I'm on the job hunt, waiting to hear back from the rink on whether or not I'm hired, so please send positive thoughts!!!) anyways. I am hoping to be ready to go compete at the Peach Classic next year and I have the speed to skate to nostalgia, I just need to get over the speed fright! So hopefully that works!  

kayskate

Posted: 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM

I have a list. Since I don't compete, I once made a CD of my favs and played it at the rink and skated to all of my favs however I wanted to skate. It was so much fun. Most of my favs are from the 80s. Stuff like:
Come on Eileen (Dexie's Midnight Runners)
Skate Away (Dyer Straights), just about anything by them
Switchin' to Glide (the Kings)
Lawyers in Love (Jackson Brown)
etc.

Kay  

Sessy

Posted: 08-15-2010, 07:06 PM

Dire Straits I presume? Or is there some parody band I'm not aware of?