You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Men's White Skates?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Men's White Skates?
« on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:25 AM »
Hey everyone!

I can't remember if I asked this before but does anyone know anywhere to purchase or get ahold of white skates in men's sizes? (I wear a men's 10 shoe size.)

I've always preferred white skates since I was a kid and have always thought them much more aesthetically pleasing.

If anyone can offer any assistance I would be super appreciative!

Sam
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Men's White Skates?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »
Order women's skates in your size?  I thought color was the only meaningful difference. 

Or, if your feet are too big, get customs.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »
Order women's skates in your size?  I thought color was the only meaningful difference. 

Or, if your feet are too big, get customs.

Which companies do custom?
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »

I'm getting Jackson customs.  Harlick, SP-Teri and Avanta do them too.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »

I just assumed that all boot makers do it.  And that often the "stock" men's boots are not made until you order them.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Why not just contact your favorite boot company and ask? (Or, if using a pro shop, have them ask for you.) I'm fairly certain it would not be a big deal for custom boots - not sure about stock boots, might depend on brand. (If you want white laces too, be sure to ask.)

If not, perhaps you could use women's boots. I think the principle difference between men's and women's skates, provided you adjust the size to get the right length, is length/width ratios (ask your pro shop to measure you for women's sizes) - and most big name skate companies let you order boots in a choice of lengths and widths, and many even let you specify width at 2 or 3 places along the length of the boot. It is possible that some companies create more pointed toes in women's boots, or that the men's boots are stiffer. Again, these are things you can find out by contacting the skate company.

For that matter, you can neatly tape any pair of boots with any color tape - e.g., see http://www.askmredge.com/learning-center.php#h5

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 02:07:11 AM »
If you just need a color change Riedell only charges $69 for a single change.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 01:10:23 AM »
Why not just contact your favorite boot company and ask? (Or, if using a pro shop, have them ask for you.) I'm fairly certain it would not be a big deal for custom boots - not sure about stock boots, might depend on brand. (If you want white laces too, be sure to ask.)

If not, perhaps you could use women's boots. I think the principle difference between men's and women's skates, provided you adjust the size to get the right length, is length/width ratios (ask your pro shop to measure you for women's sizes) - and most big name skate companies let you order boots in a choice of lengths and widths, and many even let you specify width at 2 or 3 places along the length of the boot. It is possible that some companies create more pointed toes in women's boots, or that the men's boots are stiffer. Again, these are things you can find out by contacting the skate company.

For that matter, you can neatly tape any pair of boots with any color tape - e.g., see http://www.askmredge.com/learning-center.php#h5

Holy crap. You didn't just give me information on custom skates. You actually just solved an issue for me I've been looking to solve for a long time! (There is a section on that page about custom colored blades.) I'd never been able to find uniquely colored blades before and I totally just did! Yay! Thank you <3 For both advice and blades :D

My Blog

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 01:11:04 AM »
Thank you everyone!

I've settled on a company and how much it'll cost to get a custom set of skates done. Looks like white skates and uniquely colored blades in my future! <3

My Blog

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
Just remember that skates are no better than the skate fitter and the skate sharpener. Getting a really good fitter and sharpener is a lot more important, in many respects, than minor issues like color. In addition to consulting with coaches and other skaters in your area, ask the skate and blade company you have chosen who they recommend.