You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Smart practice vs. frequent ice time  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
Smart practice vs. frequent ice time
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »
I skate probably 5 - 8 hours/week, on average, and I've been at this long enough to realize that I'm learning pretty slowly. I recently started thinking about my ice time and the quality v.s. quantity of my practice sessions. There are sessions where I really focus, I take videos, analyze what I'm doing wrong, and work on fixing it. Or I think through what I'm doing wrong and try to correct it. I work on a combination of skills and quality turns, edge work etc.

I would say those sessions are rare, maybe 1 out of every 10 sessions are really quality like that. Those sessions usually are followed by a breakthrough, even if the breakthrough doesn't occur on the session itself - by the following lesson or practice time, I'll realize I've improved.

The tricky thing is - It's hard to force quality. There are a few factors - like how busy the ice is, what the skill level is of the skaters on that session (if they're too high, I spend most of my time trying to find space where I won't get killed, if they're too low level, same issue, but in a different way). It also is hit or miss if I actually can figure out what I'm doing wrong, and if I can figure out how to correct it. The only consistent way for me to improve, I've found, is with a video - but I'm never sure if video'ing is frowned on, and if the rink is full, I can't really plant my phone on the boards and assume it's ok there.

I'm starting to wonder if throwing tons of non-quality ice time really does anything to help me progress...Or if I'd be better off skating less and trying to force that quality aspect into my practice time...

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Smart practice vs. frequent ice time
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
Are you taking lessons, group or private?

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »
I think that while we should all try to be as efficient with practice as we can, sometimes it's nice just to pull back and realize that mostly, all ice time is good ice time.  It's hard to come off of every single session and make a breakthrough - many of us sometimes feel like we regressed.  Do not be hard on yourself if every practice isn't perfect.  It's possible that the comfort on the ice on your 9 'bad' practices is what makes it possible to do your 1 'good' one.  After all, most of us aren't going to the Olympics, and we are here to get good exercise, to have fun, and improve.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 01:10:52 AM »
You should be asking yourself:  are you enjoying the ice time?  Then adjust accordingly.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:22:09 AM »
If I could get more ice time, I would. But with me, it's an issue of both money and time. Sometimes, if I'm really tired, I don't skate anymore, because I wouldn't be able to do what I usually am, and would just end up frustrated. This means not a lot of learning and not a lot of happiness, so that's wasted money. I'd rather practice efficiently, because I really can't afford not to.

Off-ice practice helps with posture and body position. I practice stroking, three turns, mohawks, off-ice, each time paying attention to how my body feels and mentally recreating what it would feel like if I were on the ice. The best thing about it -- it's free, and you don't need any equipment other than a mirror in your bedroom.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
Just read this article after seeing this post....

https://qz.com/915646/how-to-make-your-kid-good-at-anything-according-to-anders-ericsson-an-expert-on-peak-performance-and-originator-of-the-10000-hour-rule/

Interesting article!  If the silly 10000 hour rule is to be believed I'm nearly 5% of the way to being an Olympic skater.   88)  The points about effective practice are really good, though.  I think I've been very effectively practicing how to do bad FO3s.   :bash: