You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lesson #2! What a blast!  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Lesson #2! What a blast!
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
So. My second lesson has rolled around and it has made me discover both weaknesses and strengths with my skating. While I am picking things back up fairly quickly, I definitely need to develop my muscles nice and solid. We did most of the same stuff as last time as well as working on our stops which I am making progress in. Evidently my issue was keeping me feet apart. Squeeze all that stuff together and stand up straight and apparently things go much smoother!

So then, any tips on improving my posture? I have an issue where I tend to either lean too much or not lean into my edges at all. Both are bad habits that I have to break.

Also, I'm sore as all hell! Gosh dang. I wish I'd continued as a kid and not stopped haha. It's funny, I didn't expect these lessons to make me so...happy? I know it might sound silly but it really makes me smile and I find myself waiting in anticipation for the next time I get to go on the ice again. I can't explain why nor can I give reason as to why I'm enjoying it so much. But I'm genuinely glad I got back into it.

Ciao!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Lesson #2! What a blast!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Skating is completely addictive.  I think it is the glide.

That being said I still get excited every time I skate... and it has been a lot of years.... I don't take lessons anymore (no money) but try to get out there as much as possible.

The day I am not excited is the day that I quit.
I don't see that happening any time soon.

Anyway, enough about me - glad you are enjoying your lessons!

Posture is something that will come with time and practice.  Discovering those long-forgotten muscle groups and an adult body is something else that you will have to deal with but it will come with time.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
Skating is completely addictive.  I think it is the glide.

That being said I still get excited every time I skate... and it has been a lot of years.... I don't take lessons anymore (no money) but try to get out there as much as possible.

The day I am not excited is the day that I quit.
I don't see that happening any time soon.

Anyway, enough about me - glad you are enjoying your lessons!

Posture is something that will come with time and practice.  Discovering those long-forgotten muscle groups and an adult body is something else that you will have to deal with but it will come with time.

I agree with that completely. The glide is just <3 It's like a floaty feeling ^_^

Lack of money is never any fun :( BUt I'm glad you still skate! Keep on keepin' on right?

I definitely don't see it happening with me anytime soon either. Although after how rough my day was today at the public skate, I certainly had some doubts about myself. The anxiety demons won that battle T.T

Sound advice, I will take it to heart! ^_^ I was unintentionally fabulous at my last lesson with my arm and body movements during one of my practice runs haha.
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Sam, you're completely welcome to post on the monthly practice thread. You don't need to post every lesson on its own.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/