You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Heel Cup size  (Read 2095 times)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Heel Cup size
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knows how to measure for heel cup size? I am trying to figure out if I am in an A, a B, or whatever.

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
Re: Heel Cup size
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
During my adventures in boot fitting, I was told by a Riedell tech that their standard boots are one size below the ball. So a B ball will have an A heel. From what I know (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) that most off-rack skates have a B-ball, which is ladies' standard width. So if you bought off-shelf, you're probably in a B with an A heel. Men's standard is a D ball. So D ball, C heel.

Questions to ask yourself:
Are you in a standard (off-shelf) boot? Does the heel feel loose? Does it slip up and down or from side to side? Are you supported? Are you lacing tight enough? Are you lacing so tight because your heels don't stay in otherwise? Are you using padding to help prevent slippage? Do you have pain? Are you comfortable? Are you breaking down your boots? Have they broken down too fast because of my heel/support issues? Basically, how well does the skate fit you?

I managed to figure out my measurements because I was already in a 3A heel by sheer happenstance (it was my ball size that needed changing); it is still slightly too big. I pad out with Bunga pads and do a tighter lace. Also, I checked it on a measuring tool before purchasing new boots.

That might actually be a pretty good option - find a good shoe store with properly trained staff and have them measure your feet. They can give you the measurements (in inches, whatever you need) and you can compare them to boot size charts. Caution - the charts I've seen generally don't cover heel sizes. Also, don't hesitate to call skate manufacturers. They want to talk to their customers (and make a sale).

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:20:17 PM »
I am in Edea Ice Flys. From what a dealer told me, Eda's weather they are men's or women's, are the same. So a size 245 C is the same for male or female.
The problem I am having, is that the heels seems a bit narrow. I really have to push into the heel cup and tie very tightly. Even though the boots are my size, they are a bit narrow in the toe box, in spite of the fact that I was able to spot heat shape them. It's like I can't quite get them wide enough. I am thinking that if the heel was widened a bit, that my foot would go back a bit more and give me just that lil extra room in the front.
I do end up having to use ankle pads for better support. Edea's seem to have a bit shorter ankle cuff than most boots.
I wksh there was an Edea dealer clese to me sl Icould just have them adjusted. I am just kind of trying to do my own resizing.
It's pretty bad when I can skate way better in softec skates than my Edea's. :0/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »
I was told by an experienced fitter that every skate boot brand has there own fitting directions - and that if you fit one brand by another brand's standards, things can go very wrong.

This thread has contact info for many skate boot manufacturers.

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=1173.0;topicseen

You may also find fitting info on their web pages.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:55:10 AM »
If the toe box is the proble, do NOT widen the heel. A slipping heel is a much more difficult problem to solve.

Have you tried skating with very thin nylon socks?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
Along with very thin socks (or none), try removing the insole.

OTOH, do I remember that under the insole, the Edeas have a bolt or nut that your foot would touch? Then you might instead try a thinner insole, by cutting a thin piece of cardboard to the same shape. In either event you may need to add tape or foam in appropriate spots to provide arch support.

BTW, are there any major competitions coming within driving distance of you? Sometimes Edea (and other boot makers) go to competitions. Sometimes they send reps to local pro shops, for a visit. Contact the company to find out.

I wonder if Edea composite boots can be stretched with a boot punch the same way as leather boots... Perhaps they would know.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:10:40 PM »
I have decided to send the skates off to Skates US to have them "heat reshaped" properly. I was wearing the skates without socks and they were still a tad narrow. I even removed the insoles as well. I hope that when I get them back, they will fit once and for all. :0)

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:58 PM »
I didn't realize anyone would try to reshape skates to your body without being there in person... I hope they have sufficient basis (at the very least, tracings of your feet) to do a good job.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
I have to send a tracing of my feet with the skates.