You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Unique Pants for men?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Unique Pants for men?
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
You know, the one thing I've discovered during my journey into getting back into skating is the lack of interesting clothing for men. Don't get me wrong, us guys can be pretty boring but is it too much to ask for figure skating pants with a bit of color?

I scooped mine up out of need and convenience and they're a simple pair of black figure skating pants. But does anyone know of any resources or places to get more interesting ones for guys?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2me5vo4.jpg

The picture above is a good example. Is there anything like that for guys? Would it kill the market to give us a splash of color?

Just asking :D
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: Unique Pants for men?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »
At club ice today, everybody was in head to to black except one girl in a hot pink jacket and me in my blue-gray pants and bright green vest over black jacket. It's pretty boring.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
In ice dance (at least at the low levels where I operate) the man isn't supposed to out shine the lady.  The lady is the "picture"  the man is the "frame" is what I've heard over and over.  Having said that, there are examples of outrageous customs at the elite level.  Perhaps Johnny Weir could be consulted in this regard.  I'm sure he'd have plenty of guidance to offer! Tara L., by comparison, seems almost frumpy at times.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
FWIW, not much wearing of black here. I mostly skate in either "dark khaki" or in "dusty olive" chinos, from LL Bean. They are my usual trousers for work.

When I deviate from these, I really make it worthwhile...

Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
Love the crown.  +4 GOE!  But where are the party crackers?

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
But where are the party crackers?

I left both the cheese and crackers back at Hogwarts.
Bill Schneider

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
@Christyn

Fair enough. But still :P It doesn't hurt to want something more interesting, right?

@Lutefisk

I understand that. Although, I imagine I'll likely be more of a solo skater. I like my solitude XDD I can't exactly just email Johnny Weir and ask for advice XDD THis is true.

@Bill_S

Love the crown :D  Although my screen makes your outfit look black to me. Or I'm just terrible color blind. I once again had to google a word. Wasn't sure what Chinos were!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
Yeah, I had deviated from my normal khaki or olive that day. It was Halloween, something held in high esteem among the college students here.

I just had to go "formal" that day. In contrast, the students working the skate rental area were dressed down a bit...

Bill Schneider

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »
@Bill_S

Well either way. It's a mighty fine crown and outfit ^_^ Even if I can't see the shades.

That's one fancy skate rental clerk!

My Blog

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »
I'd just try regular athletic pants.  Lots of more interesting styles in those.  You don't need something skating specific.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
I'd just try regular athletic pants.  Lots of more interesting styles in those.  You don't need something skating specific.

Ditto that.  I wear Nike athletic slacks (no stripes and minimum logos) and that includes testing.  I'll probably spring for a pair of black trousers now that I'm past the prelim  test level so that my coach stops giving me the hairy eyeball.  The nice thing about athletic pants is that being nylon they don't soak through as much if/when you fall and secondly, they are stretchy and baggy enough that you can wear knee pads, butt pads, hip pads, etc. during practice sessions without it being glaringly noticeable.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »
@Amy1984

I have been shopping around a bit for athletic pants. Although finding a good pair that fits properly has been difficult. (Most of the place I go never seem to have my size. Despite being a general size.)

@Lutefisk

Well I do already have a pair of Mondor figure skating pants. I just wanted to see if there was anything with more interesting designs hanging around for men was all.

Knee, butt and hip pads? O.o

My Blog

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
Knee, butt and hip pads? O.o

Yeah, and he's not the only one.  You might feel the need as well once you get to your 40s and you start busting things when you fall. 

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:13:44 PM »
Yeah, and he's not the only one.  You might feel the need as well once you get to your 40s and you start busting things when you fall.

Add head protection to that. I don't pad anything else yet, but if I get to axel, I might.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:16 PM »
Add head protection to that. I don't pad anything else yet, but if I get to axel, I might.

Yep, ice halo--I don't get on the ice without mine.  One trip to the OR was enough.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
@Riley876
@ChristyRN
@Lutefisk

Oh I meant no offense. I just wasn't sure what they were until afterwards. I genuinely was thinking something else. My initial thought was 'why would I want to pad my butt? It's big enough already.' Haha.

My Blog

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 09:05:34 PM »
Yep, ice halo--I don't get on the ice without mine.  One trip to the OR was enough.

I tapped my head once in 11 years, and now if I don't wear my halo coaches give me the frowny face.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »
You know, the one thing I've discovered during my journey into getting back into skating is the lack of interesting clothing for men. Don't get me wrong, us guys can be pretty boring but is it too much to ask for figure skating pants with a bit of color?

I scooped mine up out of need and convenience and they're a simple pair of black figure skating pants. But does anyone know of any resources or places to get more interesting ones for guys?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2me5vo4.jpg

The picture above is a good example. Is there anything like that for guys? Would it kill the market to give us a splash of color?

Just asking :D

I make figure skating apparel and am always getting complimented on my fun practice pants, one of the adult male skaters at my rink is totally envious and wants a pair of his own. Message me if you are interested. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »
@AgnesNitt

I actually had to look up what the heck a halo was. XDD Neat little piece of equipment.

My Blog

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
I thought the Halo looked to big and bulky. I have a Crasche band. It was $30 (now $40). For the first year after my concussion, coaches that weren't mine would make sure I was wearing it. I wear it every time I set foot. . .well, skate. . .on the ice. Unless I'm competing. I don't wear it then and I have to admit I feel kinda naked without it.   :o

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
I thought the Halo looked to big and bulky. I have a Crasche band. It was $30 (now $40). For the first year after my concussion, coaches that weren't mine would make sure I was wearing it. I wear it every time I set foot. . .well, skate. . .on the ice. Unless I'm competing. I don't wear it then and I have to admit I feel kinda naked without it.   :o

Kind of a neat headband now that I googled it. A lot less bulky than the Halo ^_^

My Blog

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
I have the Halo HD (high density)- slimmer than the regular Ice Halo, but thicker than the Crasche.  If you search the forum, they've been discussed a fair bit, along with other options (RibCap is another one- comes in several styles).

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
@Amy1984

I have been shopping around a bit for athletic pants. Although finding a good pair that fits properly has been difficult. (Most of the place I go never seem to have my size. Despite being a general size.)

Shop around online.  That's where I find most of mine.  If you're looking for some interesting styles try Adidas/Reebok.  At least in women's, they have some neat designs so I'd suggest trying that brand.  Also if you're somewhere with one of those discount chains, I've found some good stuff there.