You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Obsession; Good or Bad?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Skating Obsession; Good or Bad?
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Ever since I was in high school, I have loved skating. I used to skate a bit back in the 80's and then stopped when I moved due to the lack of ice. I now live about 20 mins away from a rink. I have been back into skating since August. I am doing Adult 6 at the moment. I love it! I love what skating gives me. Self confidence, self esteem, self discipline and physically good as well. I am able to set goals and meet them. I almost always leave the ice with something.
The thing is, that I find myself watching skating videos a LOT on Youtube. I skate 3 times a week. I find myself talking to friends about skating a lot, but they just don't get it. Lol
I eventually want to get at least my adult pre-bronze. I am 54 years old, but I am sure I can do it. I have never been so passionate about anything before. With other things that I have done like trying to learn guitar or something and couldn't get it, I would just say to heck with it and quite. With skating, if I am stuck on something, I say to myself "I will get this if it kills me." Lol When I do conquer the problem at hand, it's a victorious moment for me.
I schedule everything around my ice time, including social time with friends and such. If there is a day that I can't skate, due to weather or something, it drives me nuts and I get major anxiety over it. I feel like I am going to jump out of my own skin sometimes! It's like I live and breathe skating.
Is it just me? Is anyone else like this?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Skating Obsession; Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
Um, is anyone here NOT like this?  ::>)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
I am glad I am not alone. :0)
So riley876. What is your profile pic? Maybe I am numb but I am not sure what it is. Lol

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
Um, is anyone here NOT like this?  ::>)

This.   ;D

I arrange my university teaching schedule around my ice time.  (We're pretty flexible about scheduling, luckily.)  And the spreadsheets... don't get me started about my skating spreadsheets...

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
You are a typical figure skater.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
So riley876. What is your profile pic? Maybe I am numb but I am not sure what it is. Lol

It's an object lesson in the perils of the use of cheap progressive scan cameras to capture moving targets (and no that's not me with the beard, though I do bear a certain resemblance to the goat).

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »
Oh Okay. Now I see it. Riley. Lol

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
mnrjpf99 what you've got is called Adult Onset Skating Syndrome (AOSS). Welcome to the club.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »
I really wish I knew the answer to this - I will say after being on this forum for a couple of years, that it must be normal - because we all seem to be in the same boat!

Whether or not it's good or bad is something I struggle with DAILY.

Skating has me tied to a job I *HATE* because a) It pays well, well enough for coaching fees and ice time AND b) It also let's me skate in the mornings before work, and occasionally take a break during the day to skate.

Skating has me tied to a city I don't want to live in any more, because my coach is here, there is an ABUNDANCE of rinks and ice time, and it's a lot cheaper than the city I want to move to.

Skating has me tied to a schedule (and don't even get started on off-ice training) that doesn't have much wiggle room for socializing, etc.

I watch skating videos in my spare time, think about skating ALL the time, and generally am obsessed. I too, get anxiety if I can't skate for more than a couple of days, especially if (G-d forbid) I'm injured.

Sometimes I think I love the sport so much it will be my undoing. My career is off track, I'm living in a city with zero dating prospects, and with every passing month I panic more over being single and 31, and yet I can't bring myself to do anything that will jeopardize skating.

So I don't know...you tell me? Good or bad?

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »
I make the joke that Arena is the love of my life and she is always there for me. Lol I posted that on my FB and a friend messaged me saying congratulations on your relationship. She thought Arena was a woman's name. Hahaha Relationship? What's that? Lol
I have thought about the whole injury thing myself. I may have to have surgery in the Spring and I will have to be off ice for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I am not sure I can handle that! Maybe I can just skate with the walker? Lol
I am a bit irritated, because I have to wait for FedX in the morning. My ice time is from 9:20 to 11:20AM and the guy is supposed to be here by "around 9:00". If he is late and makes me miss my skate, I will lose my S**t! Lol I hate to go on the weekends, because the rink is a mad house. The ice is pretty much snow after about 45mins and the lil what I call hockey brats, have no respect for the rules of the rink. They think they are playing in a game or something. Lol
For me, the benny's of skating are worth it!