You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Requirements for Adult Nationals  (Read 3441 times)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
New Requirements for Adult Nationals
« on: December 12, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
I almost never start a thread so I don't know if this is in the right place, but I wanted to make sure that it's common knowledge that, after 2017, you can no longer qualify for Adult Nationals with pattern dances. You must have your Bronze Freestyle or Free Dance test completed. There is no option for grandfathering or waiving the requirement--if you are 90 years old and qualifiedwith pattern dances 30 years ago and have skated in every AN ever, you still have to requalify! This is now the same as the National Showcase requirements, which are applicable to this summer.

The only place I've seen this described is in the National Showcase rules and the Adult Committee page on Facebook, so I thought I would pass it along. I think it was an Adult Committee decision-- no Governing Council action needed.

It doesn't seem particularly fair to me, but on the plus side for people like me who have passed Pre-silver and up, your pattern dance level no longer bumps you up for showcase events at AN.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: New Requirements for Adult Nationals
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
Thank you for posting.  I think you left out a word in your post - you need to have passed Bronze FS or Juvenile Free Dance.  I feel very bad for the skaters in their 60s and 70s (and above!) who have been competing based on pattern dance tests.  I haven't looked up the requirements yet for Juvenile Free Dance to see how difficult that might be, but I think it would be very difficult to pass Bronze FS in your 60s or 70s.  It's also somewhat ironic given the new Yvonne Dowlen award for the oldest skater, and the other recognitions to be given at Adult Nationals for skaters in the upper age classes.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 12:55:52 PM »
As someone holding off finishing my Pre-Gold dances so I don't have to skate Masters LE & Dramatic, I was thrilled to see this. This means I can finish my dances without worrying about competing Masters entertainment - I compete Gold and am quite happy there - lots of work to do to be near the top.

Until now, I had not considered it from the other angle. I don't think Juvenile Free Dance is especially hard, especially with the new Adult and Masters passing averages and I hope that skaters who want to can use that to qualify for AN. I have a friend hoping to be eligible by next year - she has passed Bronze MIF but doesn't really jump or want to jump but would love to do Dramatic at AN in 2018.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
To pass Juvenile Free dance, you do need to be able to do twizzles, which don't appear in pattern dances until what? The Argentine? They don't appear in Adult MIF at all.

I could probably pass it but many of my friends who qualified with pattern dances could not.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
Anyone know anyone on the Adult Governing Council? This has got to be their work, so understanding why they came to this decision is essential.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
To pass Juvenile Free dance, you do need to be able to do twizzles, which don't appear in pattern dances until what? The Argentine? They don't appear in Adult MIF at all.

I could probably pass it but many of my friends who qualified with pattern dances could not.

For the juvenile Free Dance you have to be able to do a one revolution twizzle - and it's true that you don't do a twizzle in the pattern dances until the Argentine... (it's more like a counter...) - I bet they could do it!

My impression over the years is that the changes to the Adult track benefit certain skaters but prohibit other skaters from moving up, or even being competitive at all!  Case in point a friend who as a young person was very competitive at the Jr. level but due to life-long cancers, could skate at a much lower level but because of her past competitive history, had to compete Masters in Interpretive (or whatever the highest level is...) - she was game for it but of course was not the least bit competitive.

Even watching how the MITF rules have changed for Adults - moving the spirals on the edges onto the Silver MITF made me know there was never any way I was going to do it. 

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »

Even watching how the MITF rules have changed for Adults - moving the spirals on the edges onto the Silver MITF made me know there was never any way I was going to do it.

Do you remember that horrible three turn pattern that was on pre-bronze?? Totally the hardest pattern so far. I was working on the silver spirals today. I can get them on pattern, but not in spiral position yet. That is a fast, quick changing pattern. By far, the FO-BI and FI-BO 3s are the hardest for me.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
Do you remember that horrible three turn pattern that was on pre-bronze?? Totally the hardest pattern so far. I was working on the silver spirals today. I can get them on pattern, but not in spiral position yet. That is a fast, quick changing pattern. By far, the FO-BI and FI-BO 3s are the hardest for me.

Yes - there were two - when I took it, it was the three-turns on the line.  FI and FI.  Then they put in that other pattern... which I learned but only judged I think one test where someone had to do it... glad they got rid of that!

The spirals I think for me - it's the dance blades and that first toe-pick.  I haven't practiced it much but not sure I wouldn't just fall on my face every time.

Agreed that the threes also would have been hard for me to work on.  I just know so many adults who quit testing after Adult Bronze because of the steep learning curve to Silver... FRUSTRATING!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 08:46:56 PM »
I know where my issues will be: the 3s, the back cross strokes, and getting the mohawk part of the 8step. (I already took out my coach on the 8step). Oh, having enough stamina to finish the power pulls that are *last* on the test. Stupid lungs... Other than that, just working on it. I set a two year goal. Maybe I will have learned back scratch, sit, and loop by then so I can pass bronze FS too.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree on the difficulty of Silver moves.  I work on them every week but I doubt I will ever test.  The back inside 3's and the outside mohawk on the 8-step are super-hard for me.  And as I get older, my courage gets smaller (especially necessary for the Silver 3-turn patterns).  And ChristyRN, I think it is just cruel to have the back power pulls as the LAST element on a difficult and long test!  I can do them, but not sure how good they would be when I do them last.  Probably wouldn't make it to end of rink. 

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
I work on them every week but I doubt I will ever test.

I would recommend practising the moves a minimum of twice a week for several months before testing.  To increase stamina, I would perform the whole test, without interruption, twice in a row in each practice session.  I repeated the test at the end of each session when I was most tired.  I also practised power pulls by skating the entire length of the ice on one foot (twice what is required) to increase strength.  For the spirals, I also had to practice off-ice.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
Good advice, nicklaszlo!  I am not even close to testing but if I ever decide to do so, the advice to practice double test run throughs for a few months prior is a very good idea.  I will challenge myself to do a full length of ice with power pulls on one foot - I like that idea.  I can run my programs 3+ times in a row without stamina issues but those power pulls can be hard at the end of a session.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »
  To increase stamina, I would perform the whole test, without interruption, twice in a row in each practice session.  I repeated the test at the end of each session when I was most tired.  I also practised power pulls by skating the entire length of the ice on one foot (twice what is required) to increase strength. 

My stamina problems are different. I have a chronic lung condition and get short of breath with exertion. Double run-throughs won't make a bit of difference. All they do is make me more short of breath. Three of any of my jumps will make me short of breath. Yet I keep trying. I *will* test silver. I might be 90, but I'm going to test the $)*#+ moves.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
I became aware of this change in the rules when I saw the announcement for adult sectionals - they note that, as of May, 2017, this new rule applies. It looks like everyone gets grandfathered, and can compete at bronze level for showcase events. But to compete higher than that, you need to have passed your free dance tests.

For me, this is actually good, because when I did AN last time, I had to compete at silver level for light entertainment, against people who had obviously been skating WAY longer than I had. Came in second to last! Whoo-hoo!

You'll find the rule change mentioned on the last page of the attached link, and I've also included it here:

Here is what it says: "As of May 1, 2017, Pattern Dance Tests will no longer qualify adult athletes to compete in Showcase Events. Those who have passed the complete Pre-Bronze Dance Test prior to 4/30/17 will be grandfathered at the adult bronze showcase level. Athletes currently competing based on pattern dance tests will need to pass a qualifying free skate or free dance test (solo, partnered, standard, adult, or masters) to compete in showcase events above the adult bronze level after April 30, 2017."

http://www.usfsa.org/content/16-17%20Showcase%20Guidelines.pdf

My coach did not know about the change. But we're now going to do our pre-bronze free dance test, and work up from there. I hope to do the pre-bronze and bronze free dance test, over time. But first, I need to take my final pre-silver dance, which I've been working on since the dawn of time.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
Thanks for the update - that is new.  The original change came out and had no provision for grandfathering.  The grandfathering is great news for some of my skating friends, so I am glad to see that.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
My impression over the years is that the changes to the Adult track benefit certain skaters but prohibit other skaters from moving up, or even being competitive at all! 

I've been told that this is deliberate.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
I've been told that this is deliberate.

Because??