You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Older Zuca inserts vs. newer ones  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Older Zuca inserts vs. newer ones
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
The local skate store has a really good deal on some of their old Zuca inserts (50% off) and I'm wondering if it's worth buying one, but wondered if the newer version was so much better it was worth paying the extra.

From a quick inspection it looks like the main changes are:
- the fabric on the newer models seems to be thicker / heavier so therefore probably more durable?
- the older model has a plastic clip for the front flap whilst the newer one has a popper, I'm guessing the plastic clip could snap

Everything else seems to be unchanged, but I'm wondering if they maybe made the mesh a bit stronger or if there are other changes that I haven't noticed. Any experience of older vs. newer inserts please?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Older Zuca inserts vs. newer ones
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:01:17 AM »
Is the thicker fabric at the join at the back on the bottom? That's where I get holes in my bags. I've stopped using the mesh pockets for anything other than papers. Everything else goes in the inner side pockets. And I never use the plastic clip as the bag is already zipped up.

I'd always assumed the changes being made to the bags were cosmetic, such as different cover designs.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
The fabric feels thicker generally, like a totally different material. It's definitely stronger than the original which is much softer. It sounds like they maybe changed the fabric because the original wasn't holding up as well, but I can only get one of the designs I like in the older material.
It's hard to compare the mesh as it feels the same on both inserts.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
I have one of the older inserts and one of the newer.  I really don't see much difference other than cosmetic.  I don't think the mesh is different at all.  It is very hard to avoid snagging the mesh!  I mended mine on the older insert.  You could tell I mended it, but I did it mainly to prevent the hole from getting bigger.  I only put soft things like gloves and drying cloth in the mesh but I think it gets snagged when I stow in my car's trunk.

I never used the clip on the older insert.  The newer one doesn't have the clip, just a large snap, which I also never use. 

One change on the newer inserts that I do miss - inside the Zuca, the older insert had a mesh 'pocket' hanging down from the top.  I didn't even realize it was there for a long time, but once I did, it was handy for storing small things, like handwarmer packets.  The newer insert doesn't have this mesh pocket, and I keep looking for it!

I wonder if the fabric differs by insert design.  I see no difference in fabric for either of my inserts.  Hope that helps!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the info - that's really helpful. Interestingly the newer insert I was comparing the older one to did have the mesh hanging down from the top inside. It sounds like it's not just the age that affects the insert, but also the specific design.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:54:31 AM »
I wonder if we should all feedback to Zuca with our wishlist of what we actually like and what we want.
I'm less bothered about the bag design and more interested in the material and pockets.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »
Good idea, however I'm guessing we're (adults) in the minority and kids are way more interested in the designs than how hard wearing the fabric is (and maybe don't want it to last  ;) )